Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Man, I was waiting to see what you thought. So glad you enjoyed it!
    Can not wait for issue two! I was nodding and smiling like jack nicholson in the shining seeing all the subtle and not so subtle uses of cable powers. The well went from dry to overfloweth in one issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I liked it. More to say I like the high ambition and the skill used to deliver on that ambition. This feels more in line with Hickman but closer to Carey in that we get actual character beats that Hickman normally doesn’t bother with.

Yes it falters a bit, it reminds me a bit of the first arc of Morrison JLA. The problem with these grand gestures and world changing agendas is that they are not ignored. No they are battled on so many levels that it’s hard to keep check of it. The reasoning behind Orchis is that the powers to be have no interest in letting go of that power, human or post human is just semantics for them. I hope that Camp will play that the lack of interference is an active choice by the children, most probably by something like the virus.

Cable are suited for these stories because is so damned overpowered when you take into account his resources, powers, experience and just general level of kickass. He was a solo character who fought more or less alone against Apocalypse in a future Apocalypse won, he’s a very formidable character.

Not sure I am liking the parallels of Bishops single mindedness to that poorly conceived idea that was him hunting Hope. I prefer that to stay in the past, bad jokes aside.

The humor didn’t work for me, a bit stiff.

Overall a strong issue where I am nitpicking. I guess the big problem for me is that I like Bishop and even though he is being written well here I don’t really like him and Cable as a team. Their action team up dynamic is to much testosterone of the military variant for me.

Weak 9/10.
    Last edited by Malachi; 08-09-2023 at 01:53 PM.

Interview with Deniz Camp about the series.

CBR: Deniz Camp Unleashes the Children of the Vault
    https://www.cbr.com/children-of-the-...amp-interview/

I really like what he has to say, especially this...

Yeah, absolutely. First and foremost, I looked to the most recent versions of the characters, Al Ewing's Cable and J Holtham's [and] Sean Damien Hill's Bishop. About as important, though, because the run was so defining for these characters, is the Post-Messiah Complex Cable series by Duane Swierczynski and Ariel Olivetti. That established the conflict between them and is the crux of their relationship. I think it makes them more interesting together than either of them on their own.

But I've also gone back into history and picked out my favorite bits from as many runs as possible. My philosophy is that everything happened. All continuity happened to these characters, so all of it is part of them, and it all informs who they are and what they think today, which makes them by sheer accrual, really complex characters.

So you'll see some Igor Kordey Cable (a personal favorite run) and '90s X Force Cable and the Joe Casey/Ladronn era Cable, etc. And you'll see bits of '90s Bishop and District X Bishop, and probably X-Man TAS Bishop because I loved him there as a kid.

It all counts!
    My man! Can't wait for issue #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Overall a strong issue where I am nitpicking. I guess the big problem for me is that I like Bishop and even though he is being written well here I don’t really like him and Cable as a team. Their action team up dynamic is too much testosterone of the military variant for me.
    But that's why it works... in the best, 90s kind of way.

“Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

For me this scene takes the cake on why they can work together. If everyone can look into the face of another and see the child in them, the innocence in them, or at least try to, i don't see how you can't make some kind of connection with the one in yourself unless you cold. not saying one is, but if you can look into the eyes of a man who hurt you, like cable did, no further, into his mind, and to come to a place where he could move forward with him, he saw that. He might still not want to work with him but that was a powerful scene to me on why he can. Or that's how i'm wanking it.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 165833.jpg

It was the innocence in Bishop being affected imo as well and that seems to be what the virus attacks. It seems to be attacking the child like innocence in us all that makes us forgiving and i bet cable wish he would have found it in bald bishop rather than child, because he in too deep now. Josh Brolin would approve, maybe. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

That's not new. If you liked that, I'd recommend the Joe Casey/Ladronn run on Cable from the 90s. And also the David Tischman/Igor Kordey run just before the book changed to Solider X, and I might also recommend Soldier X itself. It was illustrated by Kordey as well, but written by Darko Macan. Oh, and Fabian Nicieza's Cable/Deadpool series, which really leaned into Cable as a messianic figure. Also, Mike Carey's run on X-men which introduced the CotV. He wrote an excellent Askani'son during that run. Just excellent.

All of those portrayed Nathan in a highly spiritual capacity, showing him as much more than just "a kid's idea of a soldier." Honestly, he hasn't been that as a character since Liefeld wrote him in the very early 90s. Unfortunately, though, some writers just don't use the good stuff when writing him and distill him down to just 90s tropes. Kind of like how most writers can't write Logan as anything other than a dumb redneck who charges into battle with blood lust and gets his ass kicked. He's more than that, just as Cable is more than a mere "solider with big guns, pouches and shoulder pads." Much, much more.
    Speaking of, Camp calls the Igor Kordey run his personal favorite and also specifically calls out the Joe Casey/Ladronn run as an inspiration here:

Mentioning Kordey's Soldier X is always a win imo !
    I didn't care much for Cable, tbh, but that series was a GEM. And Kordey was SO good there, compared to the rushing he had to do in New X-men.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This was interesting. It would actually work better as a stand alone story without the FoX baggage.
    I felt the same way. Reading how Bishop has to pause taking out Orchis facilities because he has to deal with the CoTV seems so hamfisted. It's like, no, you should focus on restoring Krakoa and taking out Orchis, Mr. Captain Commander, that is your job. But instead we have to ignore the FoX baggage so that he can randomly decide to take on CoTV without the rest of Krakoa.

That said, I am really glad the writers didn't ignore the Cable/Bishop history, as that dynamic really needs to be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Mentioning Kordey's Soldier X is always a win imo !
    I didn't care much for Cable, tbh, but that series was a GEM. And Kordey was SO good there, compared to the rushing he had to do in New X-men.
    Agreed. Loved it, and appreciated it even more as an adult when I re-read it recently. Great stuff!
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Fun interview, thanks for posting! I'm really looking forward to issue #2 and I'm happy to see all the praise this issue is receiving.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I enjoyed this so much. Excellent issue. I love Cable and Bishop teaming up. I won't get too negative but I still have a bad taste in my mouth when Bishop was crazed and trying to kill Hope. When I was a kid watching X-men TAS I wasn't a big fan of either Cable or Bishop (or any alternate time story to be honest), but over the years I've come to love them both - Cable won me over as my favorite Summers kid, and Bishop was introduced during my favorite X-men team (the OG Gold team).

I look forward to the rest of the series.

Fantastic Member

I really enjoyed it. Still had some handwavy stuff to get the story setup, but it was OK. Hope they elaborate on how Cable was captured, and why the Children are slowplaying. Didn't the X-men issue about Forge's trap show them conquer Earth in 24 hours?

Art was good, Cable felt great. When Cable detected something in Bishop's mind, I thought they were going for another reason to justify the Hope hunting he did. I guess the Children giving healing medicine and messing with brains is going to remove the time-bomb from the Orchis-Krakoa drugs.

Well ....

I'm Chilean and the author didnt make a credible represantion of the North population of there.

But after all that it was a good issue

oh i enjoyed this issue a lot which actually isnt surprising at all. Denis did a great job with writing both Cable and Bishop , I am excited to see what happens next in the story
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Well ....

I'm Chilean and the author didnt make a credible represantion of the North population of there.

But after all that it was a good issue
    Yeah, I had to laugh at the "one of the sugar plantations to the south that steals people". I was like "say what?", first of all Chile doesn't have "sugar plantations", it has sugar beats fields due to the year round Mediterranean weather, and those require machinery to harvest beats. Secondly "steals people?" Yeah, somebody went to wiki, find out which country in South America produces lithium, and then just decided to run with whatever antiquated ideas Americans have of South America. Sugar plantations in Chile is just a laugh, and lithium fields don't look like those either, and that you can get off Google.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-09-2023 at 05:15 PM.

After that, it was a good issue. Cable and Bishop are good toghether, and far more effective in a few panels than Percy's X-Force has been in over 50 issues. Let this be the basis of the next X-Force team.