Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The best thing to do would be to expose secrets. Reveal what the scumbags did, and let the rest of the world mete out the punishment.
    That would be the best option if one were going that route, but we all know most people wouldn't handle this evenhandedly if they had that power.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yes, you would become a supervillian however one wants to rationalize it.
    Beyond which, it's a moral line I wouldn't cross. We have enough trouble with misuse of real world "secret" organizations. I just think it's a Ring of Gyges thing. Anonymity plus unlimited power doesn't usually end well.

Also, who defines what "fixed" is, or what needs to be "fixed"? On what basis? Lots of truly awful people have used the excuse that they were trying to "fix" society. I certainly don't think I have either the wisdom to decide what's best for anyone other than myself. And even then, sometimes I get it wrong. Like basically everyone else who has ever lived.
    Last edited by achilles; 08-13-2023 at 04:48 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Beyond which, it's a moral line I wouldn't cross. We have enough trouble with misuse of real world "secret" organizations. I just think it's a Ring of Gyges thing. Anonymity plus unlimited power doesn't usually end well.

Also, who defines what "fixed" is, or what needs to be "fixed"? On what basis? Lots of truly awful people have used the excuse that they were trying to "fix" society. I certainly don't think I have either the wisdom to decide what's best for anyone other than myself. And even then, sometimes I get it wrong. Like basically everyone else who has ever lived.
    I completely agree with you, achilles. In fact, if everyone said once a day "Though I believe I'm right and righteous in regard to what I believe, it's possible I might be wrong about some or even all of my views," the world would be a better place right there.

Every generation has its group that thinks it has all of the answers to every questions and that previous generations were either ignorant and/or evil. They need to realize that judgment will come to them years from now, too. A little humility goes a long way to combat this, IMO. I'd rather battle it out in the arena of ideas and keep an open mind in order to fix the world the proper way instead.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'd use them to protect endangered species from poaching, rescue people from traffickers, demolish drug labs and save the Brazilian rainforest from illegal logging, farming, and mining. I'm sure there are other causes that they could help.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That would be the best option if one were going that route, but we all know most people wouldn't handle this evenhandedly if they had that power.
    Oh sure, but if someone were given the chance, this would be the best option.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The best thing to do would be to expose secrets. Reveal what the scumbags did, and let the rest of the world mete out the punishment.
    that's actually not a bad idea. But I remember how people went ape **** against Wikileaks. So I dunno
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I think the systems as they stand are too entrenched, too powerful, and of such vast scale, that corruption is inevitable. Sure, maybe you get a few good people to finally replace the bad, but it won't last. You could Handsassinate every corrupt leader in the world, and the next line of tyrants will roll right into place. You could force mega-corporations to treat their workers better, and the ripple effect of costs will see millions of people starve as the economy has to re-align itself to accommodate new models of supply chains and expense balancing. You can disarm militaries in the hopes of preventing things like nuclear war, and with the threat of WMDs off the table, conflicts may spread further in parts of the world where it really does take MAD to keep tyrants from ripping into each other's countries. Attempting to enforce one's own idea of peaceful policies may conflict with the values of other countries, turning yourself into another tyrant using ninjas and spies to throw your weight around.

Social, economic, political forces will inevitably twist things back to corruption. Even with benevolent people put into positions of power, you're fighting the rising tide with a handful of buckets. Throughout human history, it often took violent revolution to actually force major changes to "fix" whole countries. To fix the world, with these kinds of organizations greasing the wheels of change, will require apocalyptic levels of tear down and rebuild. I don't mean nuke everything and start over a hundred years later out of the vaults, I mean changes to the establishment will need to be of such scale that the ripple effects will cripple the systems upon which civilization relies in a chain reaction that will see many, many people die of starvation, unchecked illness, and civil unrest.

It doesn't mean one shouldn't try to improve things, but it does mean understanding that even the best of intentions may result in heinous consequences. Maybe a smarter person of saintly make could devise a near-bloodless method to propel us to a Starfleet Utopia, but I am not that guy. And I don't even know where I'd actually start. So probably, my first task would be to collect a council of people to figure out the maximal beneficial strategy to effecting change with minimal damage, and just pray my team of trusted advisors can be trusted, and won't inevitably betray me when my guard is down, such as when I'm reading manga on the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    that's actually not a bad idea. But I remember how people went ape **** against Wikileaks. So I dunno
    An issue with Wikileaks was that it was used as a partisan tool. It's different if the same thing were done to all sides.

I make the caveat that some secrets wouldn't and shouldn't be revealed, like the locations of people in witness protection.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    If you had power to fix America and the world, how would you use them?

The resources at you disposal are: (any iteration you like)

• The Court of Owls

• The Hand

• Spectre

• Ozuno Clan from Ninja Assassin

• League of Shadows

I'm just trying to see something here lol.
    Not today FBI!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Mighty Member

Late 90's Herr Starr & Grail from Preacher vs Bin Laden & Al Queda?