Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thanos mini by Christopher Cantwell announced, featuring the Illuminati

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=229524462

This November, Earth will once again tremble before the power of Marvel Comics’ most feared supervillain in an all-new THANOS solo series!

From Chris Cantwell, the writer who brought Marvel’s other big bad to Eisner-nominated heights in DOCTOR DOOM, and Luca Pizzari, the acclaimed artist known for his recent work on X-MEN: BEFORE THE FALL - HERALDS OF APOCALYPSE #1, comes a four-issue limited series that presents a riveting fresh take on the Mad Titan.

The saga will follow Thanos as he rockets to Earth from the darkest depths of the cosmos to undertake his most ambitious conquest yet. The only ones that can quell his passionate fury is a new Illuminati. Mr. Fantastic, Doctor Strange, and Iron Man have reunited to guide the superhuman world from the shadows, and joining this new incarnation are Emma Frost and Blue Marvel. This cabal composed of Marvel’s greatest minds has wasted no time in sharing a secret that will shatter the heavens and provoke Thanos’ deadly wrath like never before!

Thanos vs. the Illuminati! The Mad Titan descends upon Earth to retrieve something he has lost. And the Illuminati must band together to stop him, because they’re the ones who hid it from him!
    Finally, the Illuminati includes a woman. No surprise that it happens to be Tony's new wife!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

And Blue Marvel is replacing Black Panther it seems. Emma makes sense given Xavier’s current state, but Blue Marvel joining a group like this is odd given his beef with them during Hickman’s Avengers. Although Hulk had even more reason to hate them and he joined, speaking of which Hulk is on the variant cover but isn’t mentioned as part of the team.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=229524462

Finally, the Illuminati includes a woman. No surprise that it happens to be Tony's new wife!
    With Storm on Mars, Xavier incapacitated, Kate going ninja and Jean dead, and most everyone gone, Emma is by default the face of the remaining mutant kind.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

That Cantwell is involved makes me hesitant. I hated his mishandling of Blue Marvel in the Doctor Doom series. In all likelihood, we'll probably get more of the same in Thanos.

But, if Cantwell is listening, do me a favor or three:

1. Establish that the Good Mirror Victor Von Doom used his Ovoidian mind transfer abilities to piggyback a ride with Adam Brashear to the 616 universe. Doom thinks he annihilated his "perfect" counterpart, but he's wrong. Have Adam Brashear start hearing Good Mirror VVD's voice in his head, prompting him to create a new synthetic body for VVD that can house his psychic essence. You can break a mirror, but all you're going to get is fragmented reflections. Let's see how Doom deals with that in the next Doctor Doom series. "Madness, thy name is DOOM!!!"

2. Give Adam Brashear the Mind Infinity Gem/Stone and then explain why its power on the one hand makes him acutely aware of the hatred in the universe while at the same time making it impossible for him to unilaterally cut out this metastasis of the human spirit. Let Blue Marvel retain the attributes of whatever Infinity Stone he receives even after he no longer physically wields it.

3. Don't give Thanos another multiverse-rendering, reality-ending McGuffin, which he'll only squander...again. For the umpteenth time. (Sheesh, enough was enough 3 McGuffin's ago!)

After Cantwell's Namor mini, I'm glad I don't see Namor here.
    I'm going to pass away, an idea written by a writer who hasn't been able to get anything right for a long time. Nothing good will come of it and Thanos will once again be trivialized.

BANNED

So more milking the "Golden Calf" of Thanos. Maybe many disagree, but for me it's an ugh.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I enjoy Cantwell a lot, to me he is the best writer from this new batch - so this is a buy from me.

I wonder if Cantwell will dovetail into the X-Office

With Cantwell writing, will Thanos' old nemesis Hellcat be making an appearance?

In all seriousness, I think Cantwell can probably do a good Thanos book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And Blue Marvel is replacing Black Panther it seems. Emma makes sense given Xavier’s current state, but Blue Marvel joining a group like this is odd given his beef with them during Hickman’s Avengers. Although Hulk had even more reason to hate them and he joined, speaking of which Hulk is on the variant cover but isn’t mentioned as part of the team.
    She and Tony might also be married during this story which would be...interesting.

I hope Cantwell doesn't screw over Blue Marvel again.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    With Storm on Mars, Xavier incapacitated, Kate going ninja and Jean dead, and most everyone gone, Emma is by default the face of the remaining mutant kind.
    Are you suggesting Emma is 5th choice?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Cantwell + Thanos. Yeah, ok, I’m in.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

The Illuminati are back and adding two members I really like!!! Cantwell writing Iron Man again!!! I’m beyond ecstatic. This is quickly being added to the pull list.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah given the speech he gave the Illuminati in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, it’s going to take some doing to explain why Adam would join in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Are you suggesting Emma is 5th choice?
    She isn't, she's third choice. The previous X-Men representatives on the Illuminati are Xavier and Beast.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Yeah given the speech he gave the Illuminati in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, it’s going to take some doing to explain why Adam would join in my opinion.
    I'm sure it will be a case of Blue Marvel joining the Illuminati in order to better watchdog the group. Sometimes the only way to change something is to do it from within the organization. That's pretty much Blue Marvel's story anyway. He's never wanted to change the system, only make it work more fairly and equitably in the interests of all citizens. Given how powerful and intelligent he is, he could have singlehandedly usurped the US, if not the entire world, back in 1961. Instead, he chose to adhere to the Constitution and President as the embodiment of "the will of the people," even though it didn't work very well for him or people who looked like him at the time.

That said, this is Cantwell, so far all we know, Blue Marvel is just there to serve as an understudy to Reed Richards, get seduced and mind-controlled by Emma Frost, and ultimately killed by Thanos by the 2nd issue of the series.