Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

I'm loving the mixed dramatics in the reactions lol. Many of us have lived through various changes the X-books have gone through and we'll continue to live through them. Mutant forever!

I think the key here will be the writers he brings in. As many have said he prefers to let writers write the stories they want and give them breathing room. We'll see who comes onboard and that will determine a lot of things. Question: Are there any recent Avengers office writers that you would like to see brought in?

The other thing I'm wondering is if he's going to try to make X-solos successful. When you look at the titles in his office we see not only the Avengers team books but a bunch of solos as well. Spider-Woman's new ongoing was recently announced (written by X-writer Steve Foxe). She-Hulk, Captain Marvel and Captain America are getting relaunched soon, etc. Could we see an attempt to push some solos while keeping a handful of team books?

Will he bring Claremont in to write current continuity X-books? Will Hellion's star finally rise? Stay tuned.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I won't be shocked if there's only three X-Men solo books - Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, and Deadpool. Wolverine's the only one guaranteed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they'll be a big change at all.
    There would've been even without the editorial change, we already know everything's relaunching in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    No problem with me. The X-office and it's non-diverse line up has been in need of a shakeup for a while now. When an accomplished writer with a great handle on characters like Kelly Thompson comes out and says she wasn't allowed to write anything X-related then you really have to question why that is.
    She was eventually. Her last Captain Marvel arc did feature the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Whether to bring her back wasn't up to him, but based on reading his thoughts on comics over the years, it seems he is of the opinion that Jean should have stayed dead.

He does cite Teen Jean's existence as part of the reason though, and she's now merged with her older self.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    The good news is that White will finally be out of the X-franchise. Bad news is that Brevoort could be do a worst job than White (although that would truly be challenging).
    I wonder, will White now be taking over Avengers and Fantastic Four?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'll take it. The other side is way better than the x-side right now and one thing about breevort at least he looked out for what he was editing and made sure they weren't ran over even if some of the stories were trash so I'll take it. And they won't have to replace heroes for a diversity push, they already exist.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm loving the mixed dramatics in the reactions lol. Many of us have lived through various changes the X-books have gone through and we'll continue to live through them. Mutant forever!

I think the key here will be the writers he brings in. As many have said he prefers to let writers write the stories they want and give them breathing room. We'll see who comes onboard and that will determine a lot of things. Question: Are there any recent Avengers office writers that you would like to see brought in?

The other thing I'm wondering is if he's going to try to make X-solos successful. When you look at the titles in his office we see not only the Avengers team books but a bunch of solos as well. Spider-Woman's new ongoing was recently announced (written by X-writer Steve Foxe). She-Hulk, Captain Marvel and Captain America are getting relaunched soon, etc. Could we see an attempt to push some solos while keeping a handful of team books?

Will he bring Claremont in to write current continuity X-books? Will Hellion's star finally rise? Stay tuned.
    Many of the main Avengers and spin-off writers in recent years have already done significant runs on the X-books (Bendis, Hickman, Ewing, Brubaker, Remender, Aaron) and, if I have to speculate, I reckon Brevoort might want to go with someone brand new, at least in terms of main/head X-writer, to stand out from what came before.

Geoff Johns is a name that comes to mind and that's big enough to spearhead the X-line - for years, he's been my #1 choice to take over the X-Men together with Hickman. His comics output is very erratic these days though as he shifted his focus towards the TV side of things, so obviously a change of gears would be needed.

A Kurt Busiek/Mark Waid combo headlining the X-books could also be a lot of fun.

With regards to the X-solos... I'm not really expecting a major focus on those in the immediate future. They're historically less successful than the team books in the X-world and I can imagine Brevoort might want to start off with an X-line that's commercially sound rather than experimental.

But if in the coming years we start seeing solo MCU X-Men shows coming out, similarly to what they've been doing with the Avengers, I could see some tie-in books seeing the light to capitalize on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

The only Avengers writers I want anywhere near the X-men are Jed McKay and maybe Jim Zub. And Ewing, but he’s already around. The Avengers franchise has been in a really bad place for many years.
    The new Spider-Woman ongoing is coming from the Spider-office.

Interesting take...

To Me, my X-Men: Why Tom Brevoort's Marvel job change is a big deal (and not just for comics)
    https://www.thepopverse.com/x-men-xm...-what-it-means
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Interesting take...

To Me, my X-Men: Why Tom Brevoort's Marvel job change is a big deal (and not just for comics)
    https://www.thepopverse.com/x-men-xm...-what-it-means
    While a bigger focus on the X-men *may* be the impetus behind the decision, the timing for me when you consider Brevoort’s current output is very weird. His last big success was Secret Wars AFAIK. He’s clearly showing signs of being past his prime as he’s been letting the Avengers franchise sink in quality and relevance for years. Jed McKay’s new run is the one exception in a sea of mediocrity.
    This could be much more related to them wanting to shake things up and move him out of the stagnant Avengers franchise. Maybe they just hope a new property will light his fire again. I mean, he’s clearly a capable and experienced professional but I’m not sure this is truly a show of where Marvel’s priorities are, rather than an internal reshuffling to change energies.

Get ready for teams with 6 men and 2 women.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Another sign that the X-Books are now Marvel's main priority again?
    I guess the X-Men are truly over their Krakoa era. Back to the mansion? At least White gets time to end his run overseeing the books, too.
    Hasn't Brevoort had less than flattering things to say about the X-Men over the years? Or was that only when people compared X-Men to his Avengers?
    He says he hates Magik and fines her annoying and he would kill her off.

Will it be Tom Brevoort that transformed the Avengers from a D-level generic superhero group to the top-sales franchise, or Brevoort that allowed Jason Aaron to almost destroy the same franchise for the past 5 years?

Anyway, it's hard to be worse than JDW, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    While a bigger focus on the X-men *may* be the impetus behind the decision, the timing for me when you consider Brevoort’s current output is very weird. His last big success was Secret Wars AFAIK. He’s clearly showing signs of being past his prime as he’s been letting the Avengers franchise sink in quality and relevance for years. Jed McKay’s new run is the one exception in a sea of mediocrity.
    This could be much more related to them wanting to shake things up and move him out of the stagnant Avengers franchise. Maybe they just hope a new property will light his fire again. I mean, he’s clearly a capable and experienced professional but I’m not sure this is truly a show of where Marvel’s priorities are, rather than an internal reshuffling to change energies.
    True. I don't really know what to expect and thus have no expectations. Just hope whatever he brings to the X-office is good. As long as Logan and/or Cable get some shine I'll be fed and happy. So I'm easy. Especially in the case of Logan, because he always factors into the plans somehow... Cable not so much anymore. But that's because I think so few writers get him as a character, why he's cool, what makes him tick, etc. Deniz Camp does, though. Really, really hoping he sticks around for awhile in the X-office.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Well...um..yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Will it be Tom Brevoort that transformed the Avengers from a D-level generic superhero group to the top-sales franchise, or Brevoort that allowed Jason Aaron to almost destroy the same franchise for the past 5 years?

Anyway, it's hard to be worse than JDW, right?
    Brevoort was on Avengers for 25 years, right? Maybe the slip in quality just means he needs a change of pace, which X-men would certainly be.

Re: JDW That's my thought, too. White ushered in Krakoa, which is great, but a lot of diversity was lost in the process. Both with the characters and the creators. I'm looking forward to that, hopefully, changing. Although, count me on the list of fans that don't want to go back to the mansion. (At least not for my favourite characters. )

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    He says he hates Magik and fines her annoying and he would kill her off.
    What ever the person will act on such past claims or show professionalism, it highlights one of the big potential problems that come when an editor or other kind of person in charge is also openly invested and biased towards the product they are given to supervise, because of being fans/consumers themself.

Especially with super hero comics, since their fanbase has become very small but also very vocal and argumentative in a stagnation vs. change debate.

Because all too often it seems they will put more priority into enforcing their vision as fans on what the product is supposed to be, regardless of how well it fits to what the consumer base wants or which would expand the appeal of the product.

This in turn raises the question if editors wouldn't be better selected from people who have absolutely no investment in the product beyond keeping or making it marketable to the desired target audience, while at least showing a professional respect towards the value of it?
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-12-2023 at 06:58 AM.

The thing is, too tell a good story, you need someone creative in charge and someone who does their homework. That means they're going to get to know the franchise and have ideas about where it should go. So there's going to be disagreements with at least some fans regardless.

Edit: All that said, I don't disagree with this CBR article that argues Marvel needs new editors.
    Last edited by Arachne; 08-12-2023 at 07:04 AM.