Page 64 of 91 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I have negative hype for what's coming, don't like the new editor's taste in characters, and I hope the "back to the 90s" stuff will drastically fail to sell, but at least Brevoort said nice things about the mutant metaphor.

I feel pretty sure that, having tried Hickman’s vision out and been somewhat disappointed at the sales boost from a star head writer and more-integrated writing room, they will definitely go back to the same nostalgia crap they were peddling before in the hope that actually innovation was the problem. And then the cycle will repeat.

This feels rehearsed.

Clarmemont check
    Morrison check
    Whendon check
    Hickman check

90’s - Gen x check
    Spinoff - alan davis excalibur check

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I feel pretty sure that, having tried Hickman’s vision out and been somewhat disappointed at the sales boost from a star head writer and more-integrated writing room, they will definitely go back to the same nostalgia crap they were peddling before in the hope that actually innovation was the problem. And then the cycle will repeat.
    Not that there was a lot of "innovation" going on before either. At least in my opinion.

True innovation would have meant a radical change in the publishing system and format, which could put the comics back into a position where a mainstream audience might become interested in buying and reading the stories again, in order to be considered financial successfull and/or notably popular with the kind of people who so readily watch and support the cartoons and movies based on these properties.

A state where one could also actualy gauge if what is done with the franchise is infact widely received positively or negatively and if a certain radical change to the established mythos and canon is perceived as moving it forward, backwards or into the ground.

Because at the moment these stories are written within an isolated outdated system which is apparently primarily maintained by incentivising a declining number of specialized stores into over ordering titles which reportedly can't actualy get these numbers sold well and which online alternatives have been unable to replace because of the aforementioned lack of awareness or interested by a new audience.

Which is also why a nostalgia baiting step back to a period set between 1990 and 1992 will likely be just as futile though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I have negative hype for what's coming, don't like the new editor's taste in characters, and I hope the "back to the 90s" stuff will drastically fail to sell, but at least Brevoort said nice things about the mutant metaphor.
    Considering that the Krakoa era could be considered the X-men's own "Clone Saga", as in an initial neat sounding idea, meant for a relative short duration, but then strechted thin because of the editorial thinking they can milk it's initial positive sales for a bit longer, while the writers change multiple times, which causes the story to lose it's direction and consistency until reaching a largely unsatisfying conclusion, it's somewhat ironic if the answer to it is indeed a "back to the 90's" status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Considering that the Krakoa era could be considered the X-men's own "Clone Saga", as in an initial neat sounding idea, meant for a relative short duration, but then strechted thin because of the editorial thinking they can milk it's initial positive sales for a bit longer, while the writers change multiple times, which causes the story to lose it's direction and consistency until reaching a largely unsatisfying conclusion, it's somewhat ironic if the answer to it is indeed a "back to the 90's" status quo.
    See, this particular point is questionable for a handful of reasons. Based on Hickman's 2019 talking points, his plans were always meant to be multi-year. Exact duration would be determined by success. It was never intended as a relatively short period:

Hickman gave a range of details and insights, but to me the heart of it was this: he is looking at X-Men as a three-segment reclamation project that will involve multiple status quo changes. The length of those status quos will be determined by sales, fan, and critical success. All told, these stories will span a multi-year run that will start by healing fans who have felt burned during the past decade or so of X-Men being an unimportant business vertical, what with their movie rights having been at Fox.
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-19-j...otlight-panel/

Mind you, the far more refined argument would be that Jonathan Hickman himself left when it became clear the office wasn't ready to move on to the second phase of his initial plans. However, I'd argue that possibility should have been in his mind as an option. Annoyingly, we still have next to zero specifics about them, so we can't say how much of Krakoa as a setting would have lasted from beginning to end.

In practice, we've essentially gone through alternate takes for phases two and/or three by now. Certainly with lots of changes and new creators, but still probably with some distant connections to ideas that Hickman left floating in the room before his exit.

Finally, I tend to think the median quality of the current X-Men comics, most of their characterization and world-building efforts have been leaps and bounds above anything from the Clone Saga, which was a barren wasteland. Whether or not the ultimate conclusion is satisfying, that's for each reader to judge.

It's natural that Tom Brevoort and company will attempt to steer the boat back towards a relatively more safe and "classic" harbor, but if they're skilled enough and have already recruited some talented writers, the new status quo might still acknowledge what the mutants have gone through and the narrative could afford to keep at least a small set of elements around, despite the general thrust of the X-Men line changing direction into something presumably more "traditional" in spirit.
    Last edited by Souther; 01-15-2024 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Souther View Post
    See, this particular point is questionable for a handful of reasons. Based on Hickman's 2019 talking points, his plans were always meant to be multi-year. Exact duration would be determined by success. It was never intended as a relatively short period:

Mind you, the far more refined argument would be that Jonathan Hickman himself left when it became clear the office wasn't ready to move on to the second phase of his initial plans. However, I'd argue that possibility should have been in his mind as an option. Annoyingly, we still have next to zero specifics about them, so we can't say how much of Krakoa as a setting would have lasted from beginning to end.

In practice, we've essentially gone through alternate takes for phases two and/or three by now. Certainly with lots of changes and new creators, but still probably with some distant connections to ideas that Hickman left floating in the room before his exit.

Finally, I tend to think the median quality of the current X-Men comics, most of their characterization and world-building efforts have been leaps and bounds above anything from the Clone Saga, which was a barren wasteland. Whether or not the ultimate conclusion is satisfying, that's for each reader to judge.

It's natural that Tom Brevoort and company will attempt to steer the boat back towards a relatively more safe and "classic" harbor, but if they're skilled enough and have already recruited some talented writers, the new status quo might still acknowledge what the mutants have gone through and the narrative could afford to keep at least a small set of elements around, despite the general thrust of the X-Men line changing direction into something presumably more "traditional" in spirit.
    The best scenario, imo, is Krakoa and/or Arrako surviving in some shape or form (maybe both are moved to Mars), but the main X-Men characters like Wolverine, the Quiet Council, Beast, Cyclops, etc, are not a part of it anymore. Maybe they are exiled.

That would allow for the Krakoa era having lasting effects, not throwing everything mutants worked for in the trash, while also bringing the main mutant characters to a more traditional status quo. Maybe instead of having all books revolving around Krakoa, have just one.

I just hope that if he's going back to basics that he still has options (books) for people to pick up.

I guess the mansion is "iconic" but like just make sure we have like X-Corps team that can be globe trotting.

He mentions Excalibur in his newsletter and it made me wonder if he's giving it another shot.

With all the noise of thing being reverted Im getting worried its gonna be boring X-Men.

There is a way to have the mansion but also everything we've developed in the last few years.

That Krakoan Island can still be there as a location. We basically saw him (the sentient part of Krakoa?) run away.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Souther View Post

This is what I'm thinking as well.
    I don't see Brevoort and Co. doing a complete overhaul discarding everything JDW and Co. have built up over the past few years and there are some elements that I think still have lasting merit and interest going into the new era. One being Krakoa/Arakko as a protected haven for mutants if/when as needed.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-15-2024 at 09:50 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think it might be tricky to bring Krakoa over to the next era... but then again, I'm not a comicbook writer and my imagination might be limited.

If Krakoa the island survives but not as a sovereign nation - is it really Krakoa carrying over? Because to me it would feel like another location the way Genosha or Muir Island or the Australian Outback are just locations for X-stories. Currently, Krakoa is more than just the place where the mutants live, it's a specific way of telling their stories more than anything else.

And if Arakko remains available and under the mutants' control... why bother with a planet that hates and fears them when all the mutants could thrive on Mars instead?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think it might be tricky to bring Krakoa over to the next era... but then again, I'm not a comicbook writer and my imagination might be limited.

If Krakoa the island survives but not as a sovereign nation - is it really Krakoa carrying over? Because to me it would feel like another location the way Genosha or Muir Island or the Australian Outback are just locations for X-stories. Currently, Krakoa is more than just the place where the mutants live, it's a specific way of telling their stories more than anything else.

And if Arakko remains available and under the mutants' control... why bother with a planet that hates and fears them when all the mutants could thrive on Mars instead?
    1: Krakoa didn't start out as a sovereign nation...that was what was made of it, for this era. It could go back to just being a protected mutant island that just happens to be a haven for some mutants, exactly like Genosha or Muir Isle or Utopia in San Francisco.

2: Because not all mutants would want to live on Arakko. Just as not all mutants wanted to move to or lived on Krakoa. It's nice to have options.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Krakoa needs a lot of mutants to sustain itself and be a "kind" island so it may be impossible to still have a mutant sovereign nation on it if most of the mutants on the planet don't live on it.

BANNED

The first thing Brevoort era is gonna do is "remember Jim Lee?"

The second thing it's gonna do is announce that stories will be all about writing characters out of the books aka permadeath again.

So who will be the first "dead body surrounded by standing superheroes" cover victim?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The first thing Brevoort era is gonna do is "remember Jim Lee?"

The second thing it's gonna do is announce that stories will be all about writing characters out of the books aka permadeath again.

So who will be the first "dead body surrounded by standing superheroes" cover victim?
    1) Magik
    2)The New X-Men Academy Kids
    3) Thunderbird
    4) Destiny
    5) Rusty Collins
    6) The original Hellions
    7) Harry Leland/Shinobi Shaw
    8) Squidboy
    9) Cypher
    10) Tempo
    Last edited by Milici; 01-16-2024 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    This seems like a huuuuuuge jump and overly negative hyperbole. The Clone Saga is one of the most universally reviled periods in Spider-Man’s history. While Krakoa is divisive, the amount of calls to “keep Krakoa!”, from fans lets me know that a lot of people did genuinely enjoy this era.

Even after Hickman left there was a solid period of time where folks were having a great time between Immortal, Red, and some really solid supporting titles. And while I’ve disliked the premise of FoX, to write off the conclusion being unsatisfying so prematurely is again just overly negative, as Gillen seems to be doing some really interesting stuff with RotPoX.

we are a lot in The "Keep Krakoa pls" trope.