Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091929394 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1403

Brevoort also talked about his involvement in putting Uncanny together (he hired Gail to write a Rogue-centric book and they pitched the rest together).
    I guess he did the same with Adjectiveless (perhaps he wanted Cyclops and Magneto and let Mackay add characters he likes)

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/04/24/x-...-tom-brevoort/

brevoort is coming to x-men monday. ask questions here

From this week's newsletter:
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/109-no-frills

Joe West: You mentioned last week that we’ll be seeing more solo books than ever before in this new X-Men era? How will it be decided who gets these solos? Will it be based on who had successful solos in the past or will more risks be taken for characters who haven’t gotten that spotlight yet?

Tom: This is going to sound a little bit arrogant or self-aggrandizing I’m sure, Joe—but I’m going to decide. And it’ll be based on a number of factors, including which characters seem to have the best chance of selling a solo project, what creators want to tell stories about what characters, and what ideas for approaches for solo concepts come up, whether from me and the other X-Editors or else the talent pool as a whole.

Leigh Hunt: Curious to know how far ahead you are in your X-planning? Of course things can change especially after the books start coming out and critical reaction will affect things but as of right now, where are your concrete and not-so concrete plans up to for the X-books?

Tom: As you’d expect, it varies from title to title, Leigh. But for the three books with X-MEN in the title, I’d say that we’re pretty solid through the end of the year and our first tiny little crossover moment. And from there, as we get into 2025, we’re talking about a storyline for around March, a special project for May, potentially a key one-shot for June and a big X-line Event around October. But all of that is subject to change as conditions on the ground shift in real time.

Carlos: Execptional X-men is about Kitty in centric role besides Emmma and the new mutatans or is about Emma in centric role besides Kitty and the new Mutants?

Tom: It’s a team book, Carlos, so I suspect the answer depends on which character you ask.

There's also an interesting question about Xavier but it's kinda long and I didn't know where to chop it. Check it out!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

hmm, lots of stuff next year

I can see lots of the solo projects being minis too

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MVComics View Post
    hmm, lots of stuff next year

I can see lots of the solo projects being minis too
    That's what I figure as well, especially if Brevoort intends to have a new mutant #1 every month going forward like he said last week. It will be relatively easy to rotate in and out new minis if he's mostly focusing on solo books.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    From this week's newsletter:
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/109-no-frills

Joe West: You mentioned last week that we’ll be seeing more solo books than ever before in this new X-Men era? How will it be decided who gets these solos? Will it be based on who had successful solos in the past or will more risks be taken for characters who haven’t gotten that spotlight yet?

Tom: This is going to sound a little bit arrogant or self-aggrandizing I’m sure, Joe—but I’m going to decide. And it’ll be based on a number of factors, including which characters seem to have the best chance of selling a solo project, what creators want to tell stories about what characters, and what ideas for approaches for solo concepts come up, whether from me and the other X-Editors or else the talent pool as a whole.

Leigh Hunt: Curious to know how far ahead you are in your X-planning? Of course things can change especially after the books start coming out and critical reaction will affect things but as of right now, where are your concrete and not-so concrete plans up to for the X-books?

Tom: As you’d expect, it varies from title to title, Leigh. But for the three books with X-MEN in the title, I’d say that we’re pretty solid through the end of the year and our first tiny little crossover moment. And from there, as we get into 2025, we’re talking about a storyline for around March, a special project for May, potentially a key one-shot for June and a big X-line Event around October. But all of that is subject to change as conditions on the ground shift in real time.

Carlos: Execptional X-men is about Kitty in centric role besides Emmma and the new mutatans or is about Emma in centric role besides Kitty and the new Mutants?

Tom: It’s a team book, Carlos, so I suspect the answer depends on which character you ask.

There's also an interesting question about Xavier but it's kinda long and I didn't know where to chop it. Check it out!
    Of course with Brevoort you have to mention the crossovers and events.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Regarding Xavier, instead of having him perpetuate his compromised moral compass he and the writers could actually make him fully realise his wrong-doings the same way Lord Ewing and others have done with Magneto and the White Queen. It really isn't that "tough". They just need to be interested in telling that story.

I get they need a hang-man to pin the Krakoa fall-out on at the start of the new era but as with Max and Emma, he shouldn't be beyond character improvement and redemption especially considering his initial stance on Rogue and Wolverine joining the team back in the day.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Regarding Xavier, instead of having him perpetuate his compromised moral compass he and the writers could actually make him fully realise his wrong-doings the same way Lord Ewing and others have done with Magneto and the White Queen. It really isn't that "tough". They just need to be interested in telling that story.

I get they need a hang-man to pin the Krakoa fall-out on at the start of the new era but as with Max and Emma, he shouldn't be beyond character improvement and redemption especially considering his initial stance on Rogue and Wolverine joining the team back in the day.
    It kinda reminds me of what I've heard of why Claremont "hates" Cyclops after the whole decision with Madie and baby Nathan. Basically, Xavier has been given so many shitty deeds to his name, he must forever be ****.

The problem with Xavier as I read his TB's answer, and where he's different from Mags or Emma is they were already fallen when they were introduced. They were built up. Xavier started on a pedestal, that pedestal has been smashed all to Hell, and there's no rebuilding it so why even try.

I'm not surprised he listed the Danger and Deadly Genesis story lines as what permanently ruined the character for him. Whenever I see Xavier being discussed on twitter or reddit, people always bring up those two stories. I do think it's interesting that people still like Xavier in the movies, and from what I've seen, people like him in the animated series', too. It's only the comics character that has a lot of hate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    I'm not surprised he listed the Danger and Deadly Genesis story lines as what permanently ruined the character for him. Whenever I see Xavier being discussed on twitter or reddit, people always bring up those two stories. I do think it's interesting that people still like Xavier in the movies, and from what I've seen, people like him in the animated series', too. It's only the comics character that has a lot of hate.
    That is okay, they just need to keep writing comics for (newer) people who like new stories and not write them to appease the half dozen people who can't let go of a story from decades ago that 'ruined' some character for them. They ignore so much of the expected characterization and continuity as it is so they can stop using those as excuses.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    It kinda reminds me of what I've heard of why Claremont "hates" Cyclops after the whole decision with Madie and baby Nathan. Basically, Xavier has been given so many shitty deeds to his name, he must forever be ****.

The problem with Xavier as I read his TB's answer, and where he's different from Mags or Emma is they were already fallen when they were introduced. They were built up. Xavier started on a pedestal, that pedestal has been smashed all to Hell, and there's no rebuilding it so why even try.
    I mean...now at the end of this Krakoa era...after all he said and did that completely went against his Dream...it would be hard to reconcile even if he were to heartfully explain to Scott, Jean, Emma, Max and Storm. I don't think anything he says now could justify his moral switch. But I put the blame for that squarely on JDW and Gillenister and Duggan. Did they really have to go full Percy on Xavier like that? No, they didn't.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Good day, all! From today's newsletter, Tom's answers in bold:
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/110-five-thousand

Are we going to see a cosmic team in this new era of X-Men? S.W.O.R.D. was a great book that unfortunately didn’t have enough time to fully flesh out, and X-Men Red was amazing but it was all Arakko-focused. I know Phoenix will be *the* cosmic book for the X-Line, but I’d love to see a mutant space squad again.

I think you’re going to have to wait and see, Joe. Though I don’t know that there’s specifically a need for a cosmic group book especially with PHOENIX as a part of the line. It’s a reflection of my larger mode of thinking, which is that we need fewer team titles and more solo series in general.

Probably the answer to this is "wait and see," but--the X-Men turned into killers in the fight against Orchis. For me, it was a bit jarring. Will this be addressed in some fashion, or should I just assume that the X-Men think "That's how it goes in war" and any PTSD is dealt with in therapy?

Well, this is hardly the first time that the X-Men have used lethal force in a wartime situation, Jess. As far back as the Mutant Massacre, the X-Men have occasionally fought to kill, not just incapacitate, their foes. But all that said, I tend to be an advocate of super heroes only doing so when there is no other option available, and some of the killing in the current Orchis War does strike me as unnecessary, and even cruel. So it’s certainly something that we’ll get back to and address in certain instances. In particular, Kate Pryde’s whole story stems from the actions she took during that conflict and the effect they’ve had on her.

Question: is it gonna be Kitty Pride or Kate Pride in From the Ashes? I love that she now goes by Kate, and I hope it keeps being that way.

She starts out as Kate, Nacho. Whether she remains that way only time will tell.

Any particular reason you think the time is right for multiple solo X-titles? As far as I can recall, while there've been quite a few mini-series over the years, the only two long-term successful solo X-titles have been Wolverine and Cable (I don't count Dazzler's run from before joining the team, and Beast's long ago solo run was in the single digits). The thing about Logan and Cable would seem to me to be they were introduced as having a lot of mystery in their backgrounds along with an implied history of *not* being part of the team, and that made it easier to set up stories outside of the team. But for decades now the X-Men and associates have really had no significant lives outside of the team(s). So while characters are familiar, they have to start their solo series almost from scratch; they need motivations and goals outside of the team, they need what's usually a whole new supporting cast and have to establish relations with them, they have to be interesting enough to carry the solo book as opposed to being part of a team with multiple characters having subplots and characterization, etc. And if anything, it'd seem to me you wouldn't want to write any of the established characters as dominating a team book, so a solo-ish base hasn't been created, at least recently.

I tell you, Tom, I don’t know that I ever feel like, “It’s never been done successfully before” is ever a good enough reason not to try something you think has merit. So I don’t know that the time is particularly conducive to it one way or another. I just know that I think it’s something that the line ought to be doing—and so, that’s what the line is gonna now do. It’ll be up to the audience whether this venture is successful, but that’s true of every part of it, really.

There's a few other questions but I have to jet for now!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

https://twitter.com/ChrisAHassan/sta...66682043019273

Tom Brevoort is joining AIPT's X-men Monday tomorrow. Giving new "From the Ashes" details and character teases, eXclusive reveals, and more!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Interesting points about the solo series. I guess time and the market will determine whether that's a good approach or not.

There's also this article by Bleeding Cool: Marvel Now Approving Series For Ten Issues At A Time, which could mean the new Storm and Phoenix books and whatever else is coming up have been approved for at least 10 issues, which is great as that will allow them a bit more time to find an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by MVComics View Post
    https://twitter.com/ChrisAHassan/sta...66682043019273

Tom Brevoort is joining AIPT's X-men Monday tomorrow. Giving new "From the Ashes" details and character teases, eXclusive reveals, and more!
    Sweet! Looking forward to that.

Also, here’s a Wolverine question that I found personally interesting, seeing as I preferred Logan’s healing factor at 80s levels where it took him more time to heal from critical injuries, with the pain from them often lingering for weeks even after he was physically healed…

Robert

Can we expect more of a classic wolverine in the new era? with the accent and when he can't comeback from a drop of blood?

That's when he's most interesting as a character and has the better stories, in my honest opinion.

Wolverine regenerating from a drop of blood was always a special case, Robert, as anybody who actually read that story in detail rather than just hearing about it knows. But your point is well-taken. That said, it can be really difficult to pull back this manner of “power creep”—it takes a bunch of sustained effort. So we’ll see. I tend to prefer a Wolverine who is human and who has some limitations, but most readers and creators who have come to the character across the past twenty years or so have a different vision of him—just as they have a different vision of Batman. I don’t know how much, if at all, we’re going to be able to get that genie back in the box. (on the other hand, there’s what happens in UNCANNY X-MEN #3…)
    Now I’m highly intrigued by what happens in UXM #3.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”