Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1352

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I guess this era really didn't perform the way Marvel expected.
    Yeah it's really interesting to learn this. They were getting ready to tease what was coming next after Krakoa fell when I guess something broke, so to speak. They pumped the brakes and changed the whole office.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Curious as to why they made the sudden switch. This was teased at SDCC wasn't it? So that means they would have been setting up most of FoX when the news of Brevoort would have come. Doesn't fully explain why things feel so rushed now if they were already planning on ending the era at this time, unless there were some storylines that would have been wrapped up post Krakoa that they are trying to do now. It also explains the feeling that the end keeps getting pushed back, probably filler for the time it took to suddenly get the Brevoort era started.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

That was always my suspicion ie that New X-Men was the new, post-Krakoa X-Men team - I would love to know who the creative team was supposed to be. It's interesting though how Marvel felt that a change in direction wasn't enough but decided to overhaul the editorial team as well.

It’s hard to gauge how well Krakoa did. Fallen angels was a rare misfire but up to swords of X most seemed fine. Around there, so probably even before Hickman announced his departing, it seems the hype was fading.

Excalibur and marauders both folded. X-force and Wolverine became a duo package. X-men, red and immortal are doing fine. Or at least that was my impression.

So if it’s sales then 3 titles doing well and probably two more might not be enough.

We had many mini’s, of varying quality. Some tanked due to story but others like Dark seemed to do well enough. It’s hard to get. Maybe marvel thinks there was lack of drive, maybe it was lack of sales.

Fantastic Member

Loosing Krakoa and reverting is one thing but I’m also disappointed that there is no bold new vision for the brand. When Brevoort took over the avengers line in the 2000s we got Bendis New Avengers, Warren Ellis Iron Man, and Ed Brubaker’s Captain America. We were getting new concepts like extremis, the raft, winter soldier, ronin, etc. thrown at us constantly all of which served as an inspiration for several mcu movies and are still remembered by fans today. There was no nostalgia baiting like what’s going on here.

I just wanted breevort to take a big swing again like he did with avengers

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Lack of direction. Lack of cohesion.

I think the Big Heads saw just how aimless the books were becoming just prior to and after Hickman's departure and didn't like it. If it was obvious to us it would have been glaring to them...especially if it reflected in the sales. They might have given JDW et al an opportunity to course correct (the New X-Men) and get back on the rails but somewhere along the line they thought "too little too late" and pulled the plug. It's what I would have done, honestly.

It's a pity though...Brevoort and Co's idea of "course correction" was "Back to Basics". The ideas aren't bad just a little lack-lustre and retread.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-17-2024 at 12:17 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    That was always my suspicion ie that New X-Men was the new, post-Krakoa X-Men team - I would love to know who the creative team was supposed to be. It's interesting though how Marvel felt that a change in direction wasn't enough but decided to overhaul the editorial team as well.
    I think the New X-Men, with its Age of Apocalypse inspired logo, was always going to be the upcoming X-Men: Heir of Apocalypse series. I think they just pushed back the announcement.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Loosing Krakoa and reverting is one thing but I’m also disappointed that there is no bold new vision for the brand. When Brevoort took over the avengers line in the 2000s we got Bendis New Avengers, Warren Ellis Iron Man, and Ed Brubaker’s Captain America. We were getting new concepts like extremis, the raft, winter soldier, ronin, etc. thrown at us constantly all of which served as an inspiration for several mcu movies and are still remembered by fans today. There was no nostalgia baiting like what’s going on here.

I have a hunch, as others have intimated or explicitly stated, that what’s been announced will serve as a prologue to a more propulsive relaunch. It’s clear mutants will still be in the midst of and grappling with the ramifications of their “fall.” However, I don’t believe this where Brevoort intends to keep the line. If anything, I think this prologue is meant to serve as a smooth transition period rather than an abrupt switchover.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member

That had less to do with Brevoort and more to do with Quesada. For example Brevoort was against Winter Soldier idea, but Quesada was sold on it. And of course Bendis was always one of Quesada's writers back when he was doing Marvel Knights. The revival of the Avengers related books during that era had far less to do with Brevoort and more to do with Quesada. Current day Brevoort left to himself is stuff like Jason Aaron's Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That had less to do with Brevoort and more to do with Quesada. For example Brevoort was against Winter Soldier idea, but Quesada was sold on it. And of course Bendis was always one of Quesada's writers back when he was doing Marvel Knights. The revival of the Avengers related books during that era had far less to do with Brevoort and more to do with Quesada. Current day Brevoort left to himself is stuff like Jason Aaron's Avengers.
    Marvel needs a new EIC bad.

Brevoort actually started on the Avengers with the Busiek/Pérez in 1997.
    And the revitalisation of the Avengers line in 2004 took place after the firing of Bill Jemas, who butted heads frequently with Tom Brevoort.
    Last edited by Quill-Han-Vos; 03-17-2024 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post
    Brevoort actually started on the Avengers with the Busiek/Pérez in 1997.
    And the revitalisation of the Avengers line in 2004 took place after the firing of Bill Jemas, who butted heads frequently with Tom Brevoort.
    People always forget that fact.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Current day Brevoort left to himself is stuff like Jason Aaron's Avengers.
    Among over things...

Immortal Hulk (only the first three issues, Wil Moss takes over after that)
    Spider-Man: Life Story
    Cantwell's Doctor Doom
    MacKay's Moon Knight
    Aaron's Punisher
    North's Fantastic Four
    Last edited by Quill-Han-Vos; 03-17-2024 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    People always forget that fact.
    Which one ?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yeah it's really interesting to learn this. They were getting ready to tease what was coming next after Krakoa fell when I guess something broke, so to speak. They pumped the brakes and changed the whole office.
    Probably a combination of Covid, Hickman leaving, and inflation

The whole Krakoa era was releasing in an extraordinary time of major seismic events happening in the real world