Page 7 of 91 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Will he bring Claremont in to write current continuity X-books? Will Hellion's star finally rise? Stay tuned.
    Note that Claremont already wrote Hellion once. It wasn't perfect, but he made Julian call Elixir a weiner, which was pretty funny. I'd trust him with the delicate flower that is our boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

a serious question, I only know writers but I never paid attention to editors.

How important is this? Moreover, how important are editors? I mean I don't even know who the editor was during Hickman's tenor, someone fill me in

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    a serious question, I only know writers but I never paid attention to editors.

How important is this? Moreover, how important are editors? I mean I don't even know who the editor was during Hickman's tenor, someone fill me in
    Brevoorts been there since Bendis Era to Hickman Era. To some, this obliteraed Avengers history, to others it gave it a shot in the arm.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I'm a little nervous but hope it will be unfounded. Tom knows a lot about Marvel history and the rich characters within. But I can't help but recall how he used to troll some Jean fans when they would ask him questions on his formspring. It seemed more than a little mean spirited at times - though he was probably annoyed by them and the constant questions. His views on Phoenix Endsong were kind of out there (just trolling or maybe he never read the final issue we'll never know lol).

I think he has edited some great works but again there were some misses (that is true of all editors). I liked JDW a lot but some of his tenure was certainly uneven- Uncanny Disassembled, Rosencanny, Age of X-man - some of these were rough imo. He will get a lot credit for the Hickman Era and so much of that was strong.

It might be time for a change. I love Krakoa and the promise of it, but all things change and every era ends. It may be time for another big shake up.

The editor is the person in charge basically. They are in charge of quality control, hiring and firing writers/artists, reviewing scripts, set and control the overall direction of the entire line of books, etc.

If you're talking about the X-books, Jordan White has been the editor for the past 5/6 years

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Brevoorts been there since Bendis Era to Hickman Era. To some, this obliteraed Avengers history, to others it gave it a shot in the arm.
    Because he approved their ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    The editor is the person in charge basically. They are in charge of quality control, hiring and firing writers/artists, reviewing scripts, set and control the overall direction of the entire line of books, etc.

If you're talking about the X-books, Jordan White has been the editor for the past 5/6 years
    That wasn't Hickman (then) or Duggan (now)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Bye bye Polaris House of M
    Yeah, Brevoort seems like a bit of a tool to me.

Extraordinary Member

Hickman probably had more power than the usual writer because he was "Head of X," almost a de facto co-editor, or like a "showrunner" in TV. Normally some of the things he described about working with the other writers are part of an editor's job.

The power of the editor depends on a lot of factors but it's an incredibly important position. Back when Bob Harras ran the X-line in the 1990s every writer conformed to his ideas about how comics stories should be told, and sometimes it was rumored that editorial would decide on a story and look around for someone to write it up.

A more recent example that comes to mind: when asked about the retcon that made Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch no longer mutants or Magneto's children, Brevoort said it was an idea that editorial came up with and asked Rick Remender to write. If Remender had refused to do it then they would have given it to someone else, but it was going to happen one way or another because editorial wanted it to happen.

Because he approved their ideas?

Because HoM and Dissassembled.

Hickman was a hotshot writer at the time so while he probably got to do 90% of what he wanted, Brevoort still has to approve.
    Last edited by AJpyro; 08-12-2023 at 08:34 AM.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post

Not sure who this was directed at but I'm fairly sure we all know this. It is still useful info. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Not sure who this was directed at but I'm fairly sure we all know this. It is still useful info. Thanks!
    I should have quoted. One of the posters above me asked how important editors are.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Hickman probably had more power than the usual writer because he was "Head of X," almost a de facto co-editor, or like a "showrunner" in TV. Normally some of the things he described about working with the other writers are part of an editor's job.

The power of the editor depends on a lot of factors but it's an incredibly important position. Back when Bob Harras ran the X-line in the 1990s every writer conformed to his ideas about how comics stories should be told, and sometimes it was rumored that editorial would decide on a story and look around for someone to write it up.

A more recent example that comes to mind: when asked about the retcon that made Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch no longer mutants or Magneto's children, Brevoort said it was an idea that editorial came up with and asked Rick Remender to write. If Remender had refused to do it then they would have given it to someone else, but it was going to happen one way or another because editorial wanted it to happen.
    ah okay, I appreciate the detailed explanation.

are editors former writers? how could they just come up with ideas?

ah okay, I appreciate the detailed explanation.

are editors former writers? how could they just come up with ideas?
    You don't really need to be a writer to come up with ideas, particularly really broad ideas.

I imagine that for QS/SW retcon, the idea from editorial was just "Make them not mutants and not Magneto's children", and it was Remender's job to write a reasonable story about how that would happen.

as long as he doesnt have any weird beef with Emma i am so fine with this.

edit: just found out his weird beef with Storm...okay this is actually worrisome
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

One of the other responsibilities of a head editor is getting comics out on time. I forget which podcast it was but a few months ago JDW was asked what the most important job of the editor is. He said getting comics out by their deadlines, at the best quality possible. He then very candidly said "sometimes those two things are at war with each other." He said he spends a lot of time checking in on the various writers/pencilers/colorists/letters, etc. to make sure books are moving along, several books at once. It's been said that corporate is very strict about their deadlines.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!