Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Tom Brevoort to become X-Men's Senior Editor

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

The end is nigh!

Is this good or bad?

Bye bye Polaris House of M

The Synergy of X it's coming, hope we survive the xperience

People are going to project a lot of paranoia onto this, but Brevoort’s career at Marvel has included so many different variations on concepts that it’s hard to assign him an editorial prerogative.

Brevoort is, however, much less tactful than JDW, so prepared for fans to get even *more* annoyed by interviews with editorial, lol.

Extraordinary Member

Surprising, definitely. No one has ever thought of him as an X-guy and he's been pretty up front about how he lost some interest in the X-Men during the '80s when Claremont turned it into more of a soap opera; I still remember his description of it as the time "the X-Men stopped being superheroes and started being something else."

Maybe that's the point, to put someone more associated with traditional superheroes on the X-books and see what happens.

Though I'm sure whatever he tries, within a year or two they'll be right back to extinction events.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    People are going to project a lot of paranoia onto this, but Brevoort’s career at Marvel has included so many different variations on concepts that it’s hard to assign him an editorial prerogative.
    His big strength to have survived at the company for so long is that he seems to get along with writers very well, with both traditional superhero writers like Busiek or Waid, or with writers like Bendis and Hickman who are more deconstructive. Most writers claim to have had a good experience working with him.

That could mean, I suppose, the direction of the X-books will be even more than usual shaped by who the writers end up being.
    Last edited by gurkle; 08-11-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I've really enjoyed the last 25 years of the Avengers under Brevoort. He's going to do great with the X-Men.

I wonder if they'll be a big change at all.

Yowza! So the whispers from the shadows were correct as lately they've been saying a big shakeup was coming to the X-Office. I personally enjoy his Substack posts where he's pretty candid when answering questions. I shall go with the flow and hope for the best!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

FYI: Brevoort edited the entirety of AXE Judgement Day, iirc.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they'll be a big change at all.
    Assuming he takes over after the Krakoa era wraps up, it will at least be a big change compared to the last half decade or so. At first.

Astonishing Member

Is there hope for the academy x kids ?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    His big strength to have survived at the company for so long is that he seems to get along with writers very well, with both traditional superhero writers like Busiek or Waid, or with writers like Bendis and Hickman who are more deconstructive. Most writers claim to have had a good experience working with him.

That could mean, I suppose, the direction of the X-books will be even more than usual shaped by who the writers end up being.
    Yeah I'm hearing the same thing from a few people, that he tends to have good relationships with writers and allows them to cook.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Another sign that the X-Books are now Marvel's main priority again?
    I guess the X-Men are truly over their Krakoa era. Back to the mansion? At least White gets time to end his run overseeing the books, too.
    Hasn't Brevoort had less than flattering things to say about the X-Men over the years? Or was that only when people compared X-Men to his Avengers?
    Last edited by nx01a; 08-11-2023 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Brevoort is, however, much less tactful than JDW, so prepared for fans to get even *more* annoyed by interviews with editorial, lol.
    As much as some of Brevoort's statements have driven me crazy I do not think I ever looked at the books under his care and thought he was the problem. I look forward to seeing what vision he brings to the line.