Page 15 of 91 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I like Ewing, but liking him or not is subjective. The point was about sales being the bottom line and in which case, he really struggles being able to have his titles consistently sell. I'm glad he's been given opportunities, but it's clear not everyone gets them.

Being critically acclaimed is great, that has little do with if they're proven to move sales units or not.

As for his sexuality, not all minority groups get treated the same. I'm happy that he felt comfortable coming out as bisexual, but it's a lot easier to "pass" in most industries as bisexual or pansexual than it would be for almost all other sexualites. He begun working with Marvel as early as 2009 and only publicly came out in 2021. I don't know if he was out to his coworkers in the industry before that but I imagine if he did keep it hidden, it's easy to know why...

Yes that Jeph Loeb. It's possible to be a great writer but not be great at moving units as much as they used to. Chris Claremont is one of the forefathers of the X-Men, but I don't think anyone can deny his titles don't sell like they used to either and Marvel doesn't really seem to trust him as an architect of the X-Men anymore.

I actually wasn't aware he was Korean-American at all and I've seen his photos before. Which I think speaks to itself as to why he might have had more opportunities as a result, sad as that is.
    The surname is a bit of a giveaway regardless of how you feel he looks…..

Should we talk about Jim Lee next, is he Asian enough looking for you?

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeBackFrank View Post

I meeeeean not really. Jessie Woo from Dish Nation is not asian. Also it seems a little, assumptive to assume someone is a a particular nationality based on a last name. I believe it's discouraged in most practices.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This brings me back to when Brevoort first hinted at the big change coming up (bolded words mine):

Frankly I think a period as revolutionary and as far from the classic X-Men settings as JDW/Hickman's Krakoa was always going to be followed by a more back to basics approach. That doesn't necessarily mean it's back to the school but it does seem Krakoa has a beginning, a middle and an end.

As Marvel prepares to position the X-Men as power players going forward, it makes a lot of sense to put their most qualified editor on their books. I also can't help agreeing that the bevvy of limited series we had lately, most of which were clearly dead on arrival from the moment the solicits hit, might have in some parts contributed to convince Buckley that a change was needed.

My hope is that Brevoort will enjoy a substantial budget increase and bring an all-star line up of creators to the X-books... you need to spend money to make money.
    I was thinking something similar and it tracks. The word "need" in particular jumped out at me in that post of his. I also think this might be happening sooner than I originally thought. Brevoort changed his twitter profile pic to the X-Men logo two days ago.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I was thinking something similar and it tracks. The word "need" in particular jumped out at me in that post of his. I also think this might be happening sooner than I originally thought. Brevoort changed his twitter profile pic to the X-Men logo two days ago.
    Well this is starting to turn life time movie. a undercover writer was sent in to observe the practices of the x-office, why isn't there more synergy, why are the avengers treated like this or mutants like that, where is this impression coming from, is it really the fans. Queue undercover writer standing by the water cooler overhearing two famous writers. "i'm just writing those mutant bastards so i got something to kill this week. Geetttin Paid, yeah my boy runs that shop in bristol." Queue undercover writer looking devastated. But who, who was Marvel's clark kent or lois lane. ^_^
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I meeeeean not really. Jessie Woo from Dish Nation is not asian. Also it seems a little, assumptive to assume someone is a a particular nationality based on a last name. I believe it's discouraged in most practices.
    The mental gymnastics on here is really impressive.

People make (correct) assumptions about my lineage every time I meet someone new, only an asshole would take offence to that.

Anyway, time to let this one burn out now. Good luck to Tom Brevoort, hope it works out well and we get some good quality x books with exciting stories to look forward to from the shuffle.

The mental gymnastics on here is really impressive.

People make (correct) assumptions about my lineage every time I meet someone new, only an asshole would take offence to that.
    i do like my brain well exercised so thank you.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Well this is starting to turn life time movie. a undercover writer was sent in to observe the practices of the x-office, why isn't there more synergy, why are the avengers treated like this or mutants like that, where is this impression coming from, is it really the fans. Queue undercover writer standing by the water cooler overhearing two famous writers. "i'm just writing those mutant bastards so i got something to kill this week. Geetttin Paid, yeah my boy runs that shop in bristol." Queue undercover writer looking devastated. But who, who was Marvel's clark kent or lois lane. ^_^
    Lol Avengers Inc. vibes
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

It feels like Brevoort has been handing off books to others for a bit now so this might have been in the works longer than the newsletter suggests. While I do not see a proper relaunch happening until probably June next year he will certainly be getting people and projects together sooner than later. Although now it makes something like "New X-Men" exist in a strange place similar to the relaunch in the period where we got news of Hickman.

Pak? Not really. There are tons of unfamiliar last names that I and arguably most people would not consciously associate with particular ethnicities or races.

And I'm not the one who termed the concept of "passing" and how that effects discrimination and prejudice, I suggest looking into it.

Also have I been unintentionally rude to you? I'm not sure why the posts have turned sharp.

Lol Avengers Inc. vibes
    I still have to read that.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Fantastic Member

this guy hates Rachel so good luck to us Rachel fans haha

I just can't take the comic shop selling system seriously where literally maybe 12 dozen people are deciding "What sells" before the product is even made. The best analogy i can think of is if we judged Nintendo by how many "hardcore gamers" preordered the system Nintendoomed really would have happened. Though i do concede it's a lot easier to tell when your 20 in because then you get an idea of who is still reading it but even then not really, otherwise there would be no comic bins. I don't think i've ever seen a nintendo bin of unsold games. maybe one or two on the shelf so is it purposeful over order to simulate a book is wanted or is it sloppy negligence on what the consumer really wants, i guess it could be hope that it is what people will want at some point. It seems very anti-business.
    This seems like a good excuse to remind people that Marvel apparently takes preorders for digital comics into account when deciding how well a comic is doing. And Amazon (man, I hate having to buy from them) now has the October issues up for preorder.

I think there were pros and cons to the writing room. I love how collaborative and informed the writers were of eachothers series BUT it got to the point where the writers that were not "up to par" ill put that in quotations because not everyone agrees; but got more series and opportunites than they should have gotten.

And I think that is because they saw the playbook from the start and knew what they had to do to stay in the X-Slack. It became a little frat/sorority where maybe writers and editors got so comfortable with eachother that they didnt want to leave or let them go. That as long as they met their deadline they were allowed to stay even though they were not making sales.

I think this applies to a lot of the current writers BUT IMO some of the writers that did have low sales actually have previous work that shows they deserve a title. That goes for Al Ewing and Si Spurrier.

I'm all about diversity but not forced diveristy. Like we as an audience can tell when its forced or being over done. We want QUALITY not QUANTITY. This is being seen in TV shows and movies a lot now too.

It'll be interesting to see what the new writers bring in FoX because some of these Dawn of X writers should have been gone after their first series.

Also I don't think its only JDW some of these OTHER editors in the X-line are not in the league that they need to be to be editing some of these x-titles.

I love what Al is doing in RED and I love that he is exploring the Arrako culture but I can see that because there are not many A list X-Men in the title why it would not make the sales of other titles.

I'm also nervous with lots of people saying that Brevoort doesnt like certain character or has bad takes on characters because we know how much that can affect a character in the future.

Im just hoping Marvel stops being so frugal and gets writers and artist that are A level and pays them enough to stay and does not constantly interfere.
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-14-2023 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    This seems like a good excuse to remind people that Marvel apparently takes preorders for digital comics into account when deciding how well a comic is doing. And Amazon (man, I hate having to buy from them) now has the October issues up for preorder.
    Also a good excuse to mention marvel is also leecherous of their online comic readers. If i buy in print and get the subscription i save half, which i assume mainly is for vendors but if i preorder, it is going to hit me with what the sell of the item is at that time since i haven't technically already paid for it like with a subscrition. So if you decided on issue 7 of a twelve issue order you were raising the price to 4.99 subscribers who are already saving have technically will save even more but digital subscribers and preorderers will be paying more. Thereby it is inherently not an even system to use for sales because all things aren't equal in any sense of the word. And if i'm an avid comic reader and the smell of pages don't bother me or i have the storage space or am a collecter it makes more sense to just subscribe, save the money and wait. There really is only negative aspects provided from marvel when it comes to their digital space or essentially respect for the digital reader and their wallets even when it is no fault of the reader but the shops who already got said discounts and essentially get to benefit again. It's a really lecherous system. lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.