Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I don’t give a flying fig about diversity. I just want good, quality comics using characters I have loved for forty years. Hell, since they’re all alive, reunite all of the ANAD X-Men in a book (since Sunfire and Thunderbird didn’t get much time). As for the creators, I don’t care if they’re all white straight men or all black lesbians. Just make great books.
    Tbh I tend to agree but ive seen a couple of posters complain about a lack of diversity in the line and creative teams, which is a claim that is completely bewildering due to the clear stack of evidence to the contrary.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeBackFrank View Post
    Is this for real?

Non diverse?
    Are you just going to ignore the books written by Leah Williams, Vita Alya, Danny Lore, Tini Howard, Steve Orlando, Charlie Jane Anders and all of the diverse characters within.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I don’t give a flying fig about diversity. I just want good, quality comics using characters I have loved for forty years. Hell, since they’re all alive, reunite all of the ANAD X-Men in a book (since Sunfire and Thunderbird didn’t get much time). As for the creators, I don’t care if they’re all white straight men or all black lesbians. Just make great books.
    People scream this but YET when the books come out....

Suddenly there is an ISSUE with the non white straight writer.

In other words folks including STORE OWNERS go out of their way to look for an issue to justify NOT supporting those books.

Something that RARELY happens with the straight white writers.

As MUCH hate I have heard for Joshua Williamson-yet his event at DC seems to be selling.
    Same with the mess going on in Amazing Spider-Man.
    Meanwhile a previous Green Lantern run with a black writer saw that writer get death threats and his social media picked apart for fans to attack him.

So this "Just make great books" is a joke because it seems to be more of allow ONLY certain folks to make books.

And what good is diverse characters that are background and death fodder.
    Where was the investment in a mutant of color that should be the leader in diversity. Instead of being outshone by the Spider-Man office, Milestone, Image, Boom Studios and others.

Can't claim there isn't one to use since there are so many.

Can't be Vita-They are NOT having an issue doing investment in diverse folks at DC, Valiant & other companies. In fact NONE of these writers including Hickman have trouble being diverse with leads.

Can't be main Marvel because Coates, David Walker and others found ways to use Storm, Prodigy and Sunspot.

So why is it a STRUGGLE here? So WHO is the issue here? If it's NOT the writers or characters-whose LEFT?

Ultimate Member

Tbh I tend to agree but ive seen a couple of posters complain about a lack of diversity in the line and creative teams, which is a claim that is completely bewildering due to the clear stack of evidence to the contrary.
    Folks want those characters to do more than just appear in the background.

They want to see those folks LEAD and step up.

Folks want to see a Synch step up and lead. Which still might happen.

Folks wanted to see that Gala team have adventures and be the face of the X-Men for awhile.

Folks want to see all those guys and writers get the same shots as their counterparts without the toxic behavior.

In other words folks want to see how capable and powerful mutants of color are like we see with their counterparts.

Some of the books Tom Brevoort worked on over more than thirty years (all in all, a rather good track record).

90's :
    - McDuffie/Cowan's Deathlok
    - Busiek/Olliffe's Untold Tales of Spider-Man
    - Morrison/Millar's Skull Kill Krew
    - Nicieza/Robertson's Spider-Man The Final Adventure
    - Stern/Frenz's Spider-man Hobgoblin Lives
    - Busiek/Bagley's Thunderbolts
    - Busiek/Pérez's Avengers
    - Jurgens/Romita Jr's Thor
    - Busiek/Pacheco's Avengers Forever
    - Jenkins/Garney's Hulk
    - David/Cross's Captain Marvel

2000's :
    - Nicieza's Thunderbolts
    - Priest/Velluto's Black Panther
    - Busiek/Ordway's Maximum Security
    - Busiek/Larsen's Defenders
    - Engelhart's Avengers The Celestial Quest
    - Tieri's Iron Man
    - Busiek/Rude's Thor Godstorm
    - Pacheco's Fantastic Four
    - Grell's Iron Man
    - DeFalco/Olliffe's Spider-Girl
    - Busiek's The Order
    - Deodato Jr's Tigra
    - Vaughan/Hotz's Hood
    - Starlin's Infinity Abyss
    - David/Keown's Incredible Hulk The End
    - Waid/Wieringo's Fantastic Four
    - Johns's Avengers
    - Davis's Killraven
    - Kesel's Human Torch
    - Starlin's Marvel Universe The End
    - Busiek/Pérez's JLA/Avengers
    - Tieri's Weapon X
    - Jackson Miller's Iron Man
    - Jenkins's Wolverine The End
    - Slott's She-Hulk
    - Busiek/Nicieza's Avengers/Thunderbolts
    -Austen's Avengers
    - Jacobsen's New Invaders
    - Priest's Captain America & the Falcon
    - Jenkins's Spectacular Spider-Man
    - Bendis's Avengers Disassembled
    - Oeming's Thor/Beta Ray Bill
    - Claremont's X-Men The End Vol 1, 2 & 3
    - Casey/Kollins's Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    - Ellis/Granov's Iron Man
    - Kirkman's Marvel Team-Up
    - Nicieza/Grunnett's New Thunderbolts
    - Brubaker/Epting's Captain America
    - Bendis's New Avengers
    - Slott/Templeton's Spider-Man/Human Torch
    - David's second run on Incredible Hulk
    - Kirkman's Fantastic Four Foes
    - Heinberg/Cheung's Young Avengers
    - Slott/Pelettier's Great Lake Avengers
    - Claremont's second run on Excalibur
    - Bendis/Coipel's House of M
    - JMS/McKone's Fantastic Four
    - Jenkins/Romita Jr's Sentry
    - Brubaker's Books of Doom
    - Slott's The Thing
    - Casey/Irving's Iron Man Inevitable
    - Hine's Son of M
    - Casey/Weston's Fantastic Four First Family
    - Millar/McNiven's Civil War
    - Jenkins's Civil War Front Line
    - Knauf's Iron Man
    - Vaughan/Martin's Doctor Strange The Oath
    - Kirkman's Irredeemable Ant-Man
    - Davis's Fantastic Four The End
    - Bendis/Cheung's New Avengers Illuminati
    - Bendis's Mighty Avengers
    - Brand New Day's Amazing Spider-Man
    - Slott/Gage's Avengers The Initiative
    - McDuffie's Fantastic Four
    - Hine's Silent War
    - Lethem's Omega the Unknown
    - JMS'S The Twelve
    - Bendis/Yu's Secret Invasion
    - Millar/Hitch's Fantastic Four
    - Busiek's Marvels Eye of the Camera
    - Bendis/Deodato's Jr Dark Avengers
    - Slott/Pham's Mighty Avengers
    -Hickman's Secret Warriors
    - Brubaker/Hitch's Captain America Reborn
    - Hickman's Fantastic Four
    - Brubaker/Epting's Marvels Project

2010's :
    -Bendis/Coipel's Siege
    - Bendis's Avengers/New Avengers
    - Heinberg/Cheung's Avengers the Children Crusade
    - Brubaker's Secret Avengers
    - Waid's Captain Amerida Man Out of Time
    - Hickman's FF
    - Fraction's Fear Itself
    - Bendis/Maleev's Moon Knight
    - Ellis's Secret Avengers
    - Bendis's Avengers Assemble
    - Avengers Vs. X-Men
    - Remender's Uncanny Avengers
    - Remender's Captain America
    - Fraction's Fantastic Four/FF
    - Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers
    - Slott's Superior Spider-Man
    - Bendis's Age of Ultron
    - Hickman's Infinity
    - Ewing's Mighty Avengers
    - Slott/Allred's Silver Surfer
    - Aaron's Original Sin
    - Duggan's Deadpool
    - Remender's Axis
    - Ewing/Davis's Avenger Ultron Forever
    - Hickman/Ribic's Secret Wars
    - Ewing's Ultimates
    - Ewing's New Avengers
    - Duggan's Uncanny Avengers
    - Bendis's Iron Man
    - King's Vision
    - Coates's Black Panther
    - Bendis's Civil War 2
    - Waid's Avengers
    - Waid's Champions
    - Ewing's U.S.Avengers
    - Aaron's Unworthy Thor
    - Ewing's Royals
    - Spencer's Secret Empire
    - Bendis/Marquez's Defenders
    - Zdarsky's Marvel Two-in-One
    - Aaron's Avengers
    - Ewing's Immortal Hulk
    - Coates's Captain America
    - Cates's Death of the Inhumans
    - Slott's Fantastic Four
    - Zdarsky's Spider-Man Life Story
    - Aaron's War of the Realms

2020's :
    - Slott's Iron Man 2020
    - Ewing/Slott's Empyre
    - Cantwell's Iron Man
    - Gillen's Eternals
    - Aaron's Heroes Reborn
    - Aaron's Avengers Forever
    - MacKay's Moon Knight
    - Gillen's A.X.E. Judgment Day
    - Aaron's Punisher
    - North's Fantastic Four
    - MacKay's Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    People scream this but YET when the books come out....

Suddenly there is an ISSUE with the non white straight writer.

In other words folks including STORE OWNERS go out of their way to look for an issue to justify NOT supporting those books.

Something that RARELY happens with the straight white writers.

As MUCH hate I have heard for Joshua Williamson-yet his event at DC seems to be selling.
    Same with the mess going on in Amazing Spider-Man.
    Meanwhile a previous Green Lantern run with a black writer saw that writer get death threats and his social media picked apart for fans to attack him.

So this "Just make great books" is a joke because it seems to be more of allow ONLY certain folks to make books.

And what good is diverse characters that are background and death fodder.
    Where was the investment in a mutant of color that should be the leader in diversity. Instead of being outshone by the Spider-Man office, Milestone, Image, Boom Studios and others.

Can't claim there isn't one to use since there are so many.

Can't be Vita-They are NOT having an issue doing investment in diverse folks at DC, Valiant & other companies. In fact NONE of these writers including Hickman have trouble being diverse with leads.

Can't be main Marvel because Coates, David Walker and others found ways to use Storm, Prodigy and Sunspot.

So why is it a STRUGGLE here? So WHO is the issue here? If it's NOT the writers or characters-whose LEFT?
    You are all over the place here, it’s very difficult to pick somewhere to start.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Folks want those characters to do more than just appear in the background.

They want to see those folks LEAD and step up.

Folks want to see a Synch step up and lead. Which still might happen.

Folks wanted to see that Gala team have adventures and be the face of the X-Men for awhile.

Folks want to see all those guys and writers get the same shots as their counterparts without the toxic behavior.

In other words folks want to see how capable and powerful mutants of color are like we see with their counterparts.
    The companies also need to sell books…..

I want to see an Animal Man ongoing, I don’t think there’s some sort of sinister agenda preventing that from happening.

When the characters take and the product is good they tend to do well, hence the popularity of Miles Morales and Ms Marvel.

Diversity is not enough of the calibre of writing doesn’t come with it.

Marvel have made some bad choices on the x book line in trying to promote diversity. Some really terrible writers.

If I were Brevoort I’d be on the phone to Rodney Barnes daily to try and get him on board.

I definitely think there is an argument to be made that "diverse" (non-male, non-white) writers haven't had the same opportunities compared to the vast amount of white writers.

Some of the best writers for the X-Men have been white males, but when the ratio is like 9 to 1 (being generous) in term of who has worked on the books of course that is going to be case.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    Has anyone been reading the avengers books? Lately they have gotten better but honestly under Aaron and previous writers they weren't very good. The mansion is so reductive. I hope we don't go back. There is nothing of value there.
    I've been actively reading and immensely enjoying the current Avengers run after not touching it for almost a decade plus. If they really think it through thoroughly there should be enough mutants and room in the MU to have Krakoa Arakko and the Masion exist simultaneously without any future direction of the franchise feel reductive.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I definitely think there is an argument to be made that "diverse" (non-male, non-white) writers haven't had the same opportunities compared to the vast amount of white writers.

Some of the best writers for the X-Men have been white males, but when the ratio is like 9 to 1 (being generous) in term of who has worked on the books of course that is going to be case.
    I get the principle of this argument but I have trouble reconciling it with reality.

Who should have been given the opportunities to work on x books that weren’t?

I ask because marvel have chosen very poorly recently on the satellite books.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm loving the mixed dramatics in the reactions lol. Many of us have lived through various changes the X-books have gone through and we'll continue to live through them. Mutant forever!

I think the key here will be the writers he brings in. As many have said he prefers to let writers write the stories they want and give them breathing room. We'll see who comes onboard and that will determine a lot of things. Question: Are there any recent Avengers office writers that you would like to see brought in?

The other thing I'm wondering is if he's going to try to make X-solos successful. When you look at the titles in his office we see not only the Avengers team books but a bunch of solos as well. Spider-Woman's new ongoing was recently announced (written by X-writer Steve Foxe). She-Hulk, Captain Marvel and Captain America are getting relaunched soon, etc. Could we see an attempt to push some solos while keeping a handful of team books?

Will he bring Claremont in to write current continuity X-books? Will Hellion's star finally rise? Stay tuned.
    There is certainly a lot more to be open and optimistic about than not...as with anyone new coming into a big franchise with a new and possibly different perspective especially if the person has experience and history. I'll just wait and see what they reveal when they reveal it before I start wailing, gnashing my teeth and rending my clothes...while still fully enjoying what's left of this era for however long.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I get the principle of this argument but I have trouble reconciling it with reality.

Who should have been given the opportunities to work on x books that weren’t?

I ask because marvel have chosen very poorly recently on the satellite books.
    Likely numerous people who have been turned away for one reason or another, we're not going to know exactly who applied but the statistics speak for themselves.

As for one who comes to mind first is Kelly Thompson. She was given Captain Marvel and managed to make it to 50 issues, but her first love is the X-Men and she's stated before she wanted to work more with X-Men characters. Yet... nothing. She basically wrote an X-Men team for her last arc in Captain Marvel. i wonder why...

I also suspect G Wilson wouldn't have minded working on the X-Men given she originally wanted Kamala as a mutant in the first place. The Pride issues and stories also show off minority writers who are interested in the X-Men, Marvel Unlimited as well, yet almost none of them get the opportunity to write the main titles.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 08-13-2023 at 09:46 AM.

Well, on the bright side..i doubt Krakoa is going anywhere.

Downside, i do not want generic heroic stories. Give me the gritty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Likely numerous people who have been turned away for one reason or another, we're not going to know exactly who applied but the statistics speak for themselves.

As for one who comes to mind first is Kelly Thompson. She was given Captain Marvel and managed to make it to 50 issues, but her first love is the X-Men and she's stated before she wanted to work more with X-Men characters. Yet... nothing. She basically wrote an X-Men team for her last arc in Captain Marvel. i wonder why...

I also suspect G Wilson wouldn't have minded working on the X-Men given she originally wanted Kamala as a mutant in the first place. The Pride issues and stories also show off minority writers who are interested in the X-Men, Marvel Unlimited as well, yet almost none of them get the opportunity to write the main titles.
    Right, so Kelly Thompson basically? I agree she’s good.
    G Willow Wilson has rarely been able to carry a book, even Ms Marvel was patchy.
    I say this as someone who followed her work from DC Vertigo because she showed promise, but she’s never been able to fully put it all together.

The Pride issues might show off minority writers but surely being good is the qualification we should be looking for rather than looking towards someone’s race or identity ?

If folk can name writers who would really make an impact on the x books to back up the argument we can move on from the realms of theory and ifs and buts into actual reality.

I’d also add if you look up the percentage of people who have made up the writing talent on Xbooks over the last 3 years it’s definitely disproportionate to readership and in some cases population.

G Willow Wilson has rarely been able to carry a book, even Ms Marvel was patchy.
    I say this as someone who followed her work from DC Vertigo because she showed promise, but she’s never been able to fully put it all together.

The Pride issues might show off minority writers but surely being good is the qualification we should be looking for rather than looking towards someone’s race or identity ?

If folk can name writers who would really make an impact on the x books to back up the argument we can move on from the realms of theory and ifs and buts into actual reality.

I’d also add if you look up the percentage of people who have made up the writing talent on Xbooks over the last 3 years it’s definitely disproportionate to readership and in some cases population.
    That's only who I named off the top of my head, that's not the entire talent pool who likely were interested in writing X-Books.

You're making a false equivalence that because we never see subjectively good minority writers get to write books, they don't exist. That's not how it works and that it is making a big assumption regarding complete objectivity in the comic industry hiring process, which as we're pointing out; seems to have significant issues with exclusion historically. Marvel is only just barely making progress in this area at all.

BANNED

It doesn't help that a lot of the books with minority writers just didn't sell well in general. Maybe it's because most of the ones they get just aren't the best writers?