Page 82 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1352

The main "problem" with the Krakoan era is that once Hickman left, the remaining X-Creators stopped working on developing an actual mutant society and focused on general heroics. There a plenty of decent stories, SoS included; but they similar to this relaunch they ultimately fall into basics and clichés. I love this era deeply but it could have lasted longer with proper development.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

People acting like one storyline was what decided the "big wigs" meanwhile Gillen came with a 4 parts plans, the editors and writers knowing exactly when Krakoa would end. Jordan just thought he could go on after Krakoa and that's why Brevoort coming makes Fall feel like it's rushed (because it is).

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    The main "problem" with the Krakoan era is that once Hickman left, the remaining X-Creators stopped working on developing an actual mutant society and focused on general heroics. There a plenty of decent stories, SoS included; but they similar to this relaunch they ultimately fall into basics and clichés. I love this era deeply but it could have lasted longer with proper development.
    I agree with that.
    Gillen took a little too much time to get to his point (the Council is flawed from the root, Sinister is Krakoa original sin). The Eternal mandate, while fun, was really not necessary indeed.
    Duggan was definitely writing X-men as a super hero team, and that was partially in response to critics about Krakoa, so I cannot blame him.
    Ewing was limited to Arrako and developped that really nicely, but it left Krakoa feel empty in comparison.
    Spurrier focused on his weird psychic society ideas and forgot about Krakoa, which is a shame as that was the book that was supposed to show what Krakoa's society IS (with Immortal).
    Orlando did superheroics in space and only adressed a tiny part of Krakoa.
    Howards was confined in Otherworld and the UK.
    Percy did his X-force thing completely disconnected from what is initial book was about.
    Alaya did what they could.
    Williams got cancelled.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I agree with that.
    Gillen took a little too much time to get to his point (the Council is flawed from the root, Sinister is Krakoa original sin). The Eternal mandate, while fun, was really not necessary indeed.
    Duggan was definitely writing X-men as a super hero team, and that was partially in response to critics about Krakoa, so I cannot blame him.
    Ewing was limited to Arrako and developped that really nicely, but it left Krakoa feel empty in comparison.
    Spurrier focused on his weird psychic society ideas and forgot about Krakoa, which is a shame as that was the book that was supposed to show what Krakoa's society IS (with Immortal).
    Percy did his X-force thing completely disconnected from what is initial book was about.
    Williams got cancelled.
    This is a great write up of the main flaws of this age.

Everyone lost the main thread of the books were supposed to be about once Hickman left, you would think the editor would be it but alas he was feckless

Astonishing Member

Hickman put the the Children of the Vault and Dominions as humanity empowered through technology and god like AI as the counterweight and threat to a mutant dominated future. Gillen and Duggan completely missed the point and treated the Children of the Vault like scrubs who were disposed of and put back in the Vault in a mini by Deniz Camp. And even with the Dominion Gillen had to make it about Sinister because he can't help himself.

The writers completely lost the thread and devolved into playing with their favorite toys instead of finishing Hickman's story.

Which is the Editor's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This is a great write up of the main flaws of this age.

Everyone lost the main thread of the books were supposed to be about once Hickman left, you would think the editor would be it but alas he was feckless
    I don't think those are flaws per se. I do agree they missed the society exploration of the early krakoan era.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Which is the Editor's fault.
    CB Cebulski aka Akira Yoshida

I don't think those are flaws per se. I do agree they missed the society exploration of the early krakoan era.
    True, but these are the flaws I have with how all of it was handled post Hickman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I blame Gerry Dugan for that. I haven’t caught up yet but it seems like at least Gillen and Spurrier try to continue building mutant society no?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    I blame Gerry Dugan for that. I haven’t caught up yet but it seems like at least Gillen and Spurrier try to continue building mutant society no?
    Gillen tried to adress the Council problems, but he HAD to do big fighting scenes, then he did the Eternals crossover, then he went full Sinister (because he judged Sinister as the main flaw of the Council and Krakoa, which is DEBATABLE at the least) (also he cannot not write Sinister apparently). Immortal became more a (rather brilliant imo) character study than what it should have been.

Spurrier tried to reimagine the police, and then lost the plot when he moved his story mostly in the psychic realm. As per Gillen and Sinister, his fascination with Legion got annoying really fast.

And yeah, Duggan got problems, mostly because X-men became the flagship during the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    While I FAR prefer Gillen’s books to Duggan’s, neither of them did much worldbuilding in their X-Men books. Once Destiny of X started it really felt like we were marching towards a Fall. The only things the QC did in Immortal was add a new member, react to Sinister’s nonsense, and disband (which we didn’t even see the impacts of). There was so little exploration of Krakoan society in Immortal that the QC didn’t actually have a conversation about the general state of Krakoa and it’s people until issue 13 (aka the one where they break up).

Gillen tried to adress the Council problems, but he HAD to do big fighting scenes, then he did the Eternals crossover, then he went full Sinister (because he judged Sinister as the main flaw of the Council and Krakoa, which is DEBATABLE at the least) (also he cannot not write Sinister apparently). Immortal became more a (rather brilliant imo) character study than what it should have been.

Spurrier tried to reimagine the police, and then lost the plot when he moved his story mostly in the psychic realm. As per Gillen and Sinister, his fascination with Legion got annoying really fast.

And yeah, Duggan got problems, mostly because X-men became the flagship during the transition.
    Agree with the bolded. And while I like the “snake in the garden” analogy he went with, it will always be too much for Essex be both the central internal threat to Krakoa AND the central external threat to Krakoa with the AI/ Dominion plot. And I know they are variants of the same person, but it really feels like an editor should have been like… “how about we switch things up a little.” Though I’m sure they were desperate to get a big name to “replace” Hickman on short notice and thus went with a pitch that was a stealth Sinister character study.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-19-2024 at 01:27 AM.

I agree with that.
    Williams got cancelled.
    I'm still steamed that we didn't get to see Williams' ideas for a mutant pantheon. I suspect I would have had a lot more fun with that than what Spurrier was doing in LoX.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'm still steamed that we didn't get to see Williams' ideas for a mutant pantheon. I suspect I would have had a lot more fun with that than what Spurrier was doing in LoX.
    I’ll always be a little irritated that X-Factor got replaced as the mutant detective unit by the Legionaires (or whatever they were called), when Way of X was absolutely selling worse. I ended up loving Uncanny Spider-Man, but Spurrier really got 4 different minis and 3 separate one-shots to tell one story when other writers were getting the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    While I FAR prefer Gillen’s books to Duggan’s, neither of them did much worldbuilding in their X-Men books. Once Destiny of X started it really felt like we were marching towards a Fall. The only things the QC did in Immortal was add a new member, react to Sinister’s nonsense, and disband (which we didn’t even see the impacts of). There was so little exploration of Krakoan society in Immortal that the QC didn’t actually have a conversation about the general state of Krakoa and it’s people until issue 13 (aka the one where they break up).

Agree with the bolded. And while I like the “snake in the garden” analogy he went with, it will always be too much to Essex be both the central internal threat to Krakoa AND the central external threat to Krakoa with the AI/ Dominion plot. And I know they are variants of the same person, but it really feels like an editor should have been like… “how about we switch things up a little.” Though I’m sure they were desperate to get a big name to “replace” Hickman on short notice and thus went with a pitch that was a stealth Sinister character study.
    I enjoy Gillen's writing and his Sinister so I'm not complaining. Duggan's Stasis killed my excitement for that storyline though.
    I think Gillen did good work with all his characters and Immortal was not only a Sinister story. Exodus and Hope, Destiny and Mystique, and Xavier got great story lines and characterizations, and I think the ones he couldn't really use still got great moments (except maybe Kate but that was the too-much-sinister pivoting point).