Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The only thing I'm willing to predict about what will happen when Brevoort takes over is that instead of an upper/lowercase font for the entire line, it will be more of a title-by-title thing, with some writers specially requesting mixed-case font like Ryan North on "Fantastic Four."

Everything else, I have no idea. Even the mutant status of Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Franklin Richards, which everyone knows was about keeping them on the Avengers/FF side of things, seems like it could go either way depending on how much Brevoort personally likes those retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    so who is running right now?

I find this really interesting, it's like having a foreman on a construction site that never held a hammer (or am I wrong in thinking this way)
    White is running the show right now
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Mighty Member

Good. Not a fan of all his choices, but he is one of the most competent editor at Marvel.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The existence of death threats suggests that skyvolt2000 is not being unfair.

So do all of U.S. history, really.
    The generalizing and accusations are unfair because the people he's constantly lumping together are largely not doing those things. I'm sure some psychopaths do these things, but it isn't representative of all of the people he's constantly accusing, nor is it a shield of any valid criticism.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    The generalizing and accusations are unfair because the people he's constantly lumping together are largely not doing those things. I'm sure some psychopaths do these things, but it isn't representative of all of the people he's constantly accusing, nor is it a shield of any valid criticism.
    I never said it was all folks.

However the LOUDEST ones tend to be those folks.

Who dismiss a writer based on gender or sexuality or race. Before we see a single preview.
    Who can NOT tell you what is wrong with a book because they have NOT read it.
    Who can NOT understand all the factors that go into a comic being made or sold.
    Who will scream ONE POC or X number of POC in a book makes it unreadable and levels of explaining will convince them otherwise.
    Who we saw harass and torment and down right threaten folks on social media.

If Tini Howard is this bad writer-how hard is it for that vocal minority to point out in her books what the issue is versus saying she is a diversity hire.
    Because it's FUNNY outside of social media-everyone else had ZERO issue offering opinions about these folks because they READ what they wrote.

So at the END of the day it does not MATTER who is the head editor-White, Tom, Priest, Ghost of McDuffie or whoever-if SOME of the fandom and stores ONLY expect Chris Claremont or WHO they approve to do the books.

All am I asking is give whoever they bring in a LEGIT shot.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As I've done over the past forty years every time a new era/editor comes around including the current era...I'll buy/read/support what works for me and avoid what doesn't. Under Brevoort I'm sure there'll be books I hate for one or more reasons and there'll be books I love for one or more reasons. Life will go on. And I'll be happy with my choices.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-20-2023 at 06:37 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

A snippet from Brevoort's latest substack article:

As for my question(s), the Avengers have been your baby for so many years. From an interview of you I can’t particular recall where from, you spoke about your love for working on Spidey books, but you would have to leave the Avengers to move to the Spidey Office. That didn’t seem like the decision you desired then.

So, what has changed? Why the X-men? And how much do you think you will miss working on Avengers characters?

"... what’s changed now is that I’ve been asked to do it, and I like to take on a challenge of this sort. I’m sure it will be weird to read Avengers material that I don’t directly oversee—though if it’s still being produced by Jed MacKay and C.F. Villa, I’m sure I’ll be fine with it, since I put that team together in the first place. But that’s the circle of life as a comic book editor. You must always keep in mind that somebody edited these characters and properties before you, and somebody will edit them after you are done."

Later in the "Behind the Curtain" section he posted a few drawings he did in 1992 for the ToyBiz X-Men Action Figure line.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

On the plus side...he's been editing for decades and will bring all that experience and expertise and knowledge to the X-Office.
    On the minus side...he's been editing for decades.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

Deleted by user

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    On the plus side...he's been editing for decades and will bring all that experience and expertise and knowledge to the X-Office.
    On the minus side...he's been editing for decades.
    Haha yup. There have been highs and there have been lows during his tenure. It's hard to say how it will turn out but it seems he wants to make it a success. That will of course mean different things to different readers but if Marvel gets the sales they want then he will have done his job.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Like Marvel's ever going to get the sales the want. Still, there a good chance sales will improve.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Reading Tom's latest newsletter, I also found it interesting that he mentioned how making Amazing Spider-Man thrice-monthly was his idea after the book came under his purview following OMD.

The decision to make ASM a three-times-a-month series was mine; in the immediate aftermath of inheriting responsibility for the Spidey books, I figured that since ASM was always seen as the primary home of the character anyway, that three issues of ASM would sell better on average than an issue of ASM, an issue of SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN and an issue of FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN, or whatever the specific series tiles had been at that moment.
    I wonder if that's also where his head is at for the mutants?

I advocated for a weekly X-Men book to replace most of the core X-titles for years now, for the exact same reason Brevoort mentioned for Spider-Man: it would sell better than your X-Men+Immortal+Red on average and it would also allow for a single narrative and IMO a much better reading experience, especially in a scenario where different writers are already working closely together.

The most positive thing about Breevort to me is he kept giving Ewing work. Mind you i couldn't understand why such high quality work, usually the stuff where he went heavy on diversity and queer characters was always cancelled, never seemed promoted like other books. But he still kept giving him work and Ewing kept showing up and now the tortoise has surpassed the rabbits and is getting the recognition he deserves imo. So the fact that he kept one of the guys that was trying around says a lot to me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Reading Tom's latest newsletter, I also found it interesting that he mentioned how making Amazing Spider-Man thrice-monthly was his idea after the book came under his purview following OMD.

I advocated for a weekly X-Men book to replace most of the core X-titles for years now, for the exact same reason Brevoort mentioned for Spider-Man: it would sell better than your X-Men+Immortal+Red on average and it would also allow for a single narrative and IMO a much better reading experience, especially in a scenario where different writers are already working closely together.
    IDK if it fits X-Men as well as it does Spidey--a single dude. With so many characters to spotlight, a single book would either hyper-focus on a small bunch, or jump around haphazardly between 1000 teams and characters. A lose\lose

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post

I remember that. Most fans I knew and talked too considered it not a move of genius but a desperate move. More or less a gimmick to cover sales after OMD. The rationale had been that yes folding the lesser selling titles into ASM would bump up the numbers because often the quality was not that different and ASM as flagship wasn’t driving so much as it was seen as the main book. BND had revolving creative teams anyway so why not, it would be risky to spread them out in separate titles so collectors could skip them.

What they lost was the prominence and brand value of those titles that was folded. Fans thought that if they do this it will be very hard to go back to separate titles again. So more or less if they do this the hard work in trying to profile and keep different titles viable would be gone and it would be very hard to go back.
    What fans also did not consider was that after BND Slott, or anyone, would be willing to helm the title for so long as he did.

If this was done to X-men it would probably be closer to BND with titles like Red and Immortal still existing in all but name. Banking on the status of the Uncanny or plain X-men name. Never count collectors out in that aspect. I would prefer if runs would be collected and then run in sequence. So old Red would have an arc in X-men and those issues would be printed in sequence after one and another and not be spaced out. So X-men let’s say issue 12-16 would be Red and not a Red issue every day fourth issue.
    Last edited by Malachi; 08-21-2023 at 05:07 AM.