Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1352

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm so happy that X-Men Unlimited is sticking around to spotlight characters who don't normally appear in the print books. Hopefully the quality will be on par with what the Steves have delivered lately.

And I was the one to correctly guess Brevoort's first-edited X-book, so yay for my no-Prize
    Congrats boo! You did that.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    That answer about diversity is a bit of a cope-out. What's funny is that 3 women and 2 pocs (if I do the maths write) is actually a very good ratio, compared to what's been done. But the "well you can't content anyone" is a bit silly. Nobody is asking for EVERYTHING, the question was just "that's a really white team, and we got out of a really white team too, so maybe that's a little issue".

Not to defend Tom here but it's a bit hard to answer that question when you actually look over the past 60 years.

The diversity when talking about creative teams has to a point always been there. More on the art side than writer side as we moved into the 90s-2000s.

Before Hickman era-how many black writers and artists sniffed an X-book beyond a variant cover? I think Victor who did Sabretooth was the first black male (or person) write an X-title and that is saying a LOT for a company that had Priest and McDuffie as editors and writers.

Other than Larry Stroman in Peter David's X-Factor has any other black artist done an interior of a book?

It seems like one demo was left out before then.

And that is not counting LGBTQA+. Other then Vita and Steve Orlando were there any others before them?

Correct nobody is asking for everything.

It's just that the optics look bad and Callie was NOT the first to notice that. I have heard a lot more folks notice that and very few have issues with the creative teams. They are looking straight at the rosters.

X-Men Unlimited using those folks is NOT going to help.

I think he could have just said "we're trying to do better, look we're already doing it" and that would have been ok, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Not to defend Tom here but it's a bit hard to answer that question when you actually look over the past 60 years.

The diversity when talking about creative teams has to a point always been there. More on the art side than writer side as we moved into the 90s-2000s.

Before Hickman era-how many black writers and artists sniffed an X-book beyond a variant cover? I think Victor who did Sabretooth was the first black male (or person) write an X-title and that is saying a LOT for a company that had Priest and McDuffie as editors and writers.

Other than Larry Stroman in Peter David's X-Factor has any other black artist done an interior of a book?

It seems like one demo was left out before then.

And that is not counting LGBTQA+. Other then Vita and Steve Orlando were there any others before them?

Correct nobody is asking for everything.

It's just that the optics look bad and Callie was NOT the first to notice that. I have heard a lot more folks notice that and very few have issues with the creative teams. They are looking straight at the rosters.

X-Men Unlimited using those folks is NOT going to help.
    The Krakoa era as a whole actually had a lot of LGBTQ+ writers. Gillen, Ewing, Williams, Howard, and Foxe come to mind in addition to Orlando and Ayala.

Don't disagree with your overall point though.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-24-2024 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The Krakoa era as a whole actually had a lot of LGBTQ+ writers. Gillen, Ewing, Williams, Howard, and Foxe come to mind in addition to Orlando and Ayala.
    Also Vecchio who wrote Iceman's unlimited mini.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Great question and I liked the answer, especially:

"But otherwise, it’ll be much the same kind of approach, with stories featuring a wide range of X-characters (as there are far too many to cover in the print titles alone) and stories that will be material to the ongoing tapestry of the X-Universe. Not ready to announce creative teams or anything yet, but they’ll be plugged into what we’re doing on the regular, and most of the stories we’re planning will initially fill in some of the gaps between where we last see assorted X-Characters in the Krakoa era and where they get picked up in print. But really, essentially the selfsame approach just applied to the new era."

I like the idea of Unlimited bridging some gaps between the two eras.
    Yes! Please and thanks. (Well, depending on who the creatives are. The first set was trash from what I gathered but the Steves really turned it around now)

Regarding the diversity hire issue...I can understand the reasoning behind his answer. Although I will say...PoC writers for PoC characters has been iffy...Ayala was pretty good on NM, Vellani is okies on MM but Coates and Ridley were trash on BP. Eve Ewing was boring AF on the Photon LS. So while yes...as Editor his approach has to be "the best writer for the job" it doesn't always pan out, either way. But maybe Eve Ewing will knock it out of the park on EXM. The three new characters look pretty diverse in the promo shots.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-25-2024 at 08:32 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

did he ever answer if there will be Data Pages?

Extraordinary Member

People cannot compare the 'Hickman Era' that started with 5 of 6 launch writers being white (and Hill was not around that long) and all but one straight. Just wait until we are four years and fifty or more titles/creative teams into Brevoort's run.
    Last edited by cranger; 03-24-2024 at 06:06 PM.

I personally don’t care if someone is white, black, blue, purple, straight, gay, male, female, or cool ranch Dorito…. I think the person should be hired based on their ability to write or draw an awesome comic, not to tick diversity boxes. That’s how you get bad comics, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I personally don’t care if someone is white, black, blue, purple, straight, gay, male, female, or cool ranch Dorito…. I think the person should be hired based on their ability to write or draw an awesome comic, not to tick diversity boxes. That’s how you get bad comics, IMO.
    Im kind of at this point too. Except I feel like its more of an issue that they get close to someone and lets friends stick around and write a book longer than they should. Or the editors need to get better because Im not understanding that area either.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Im kind of at this point too. Except I feel like its more of an issue that they get close to someone and lets friends stick around and write a book longer than they should. Or the editors need to get better because Im not understanding that area either.
    Yes, they do.
    It's one thing to hire the best person for the job but an editor must be able to look at the written script in hand and tell the writer what works and what doesn't and offer critical advice on how to make the issue/story better, regardless of who that writer is. Some people give Shooter crap (deservedly so) but under his editorialship Claremont's "baser instincts" were definitely reigned in for the better.

I feel the lack of astute Editorial input has been a major issue with the Krakoa Era, from very early on. Hopefully Brevoort will have a more direct input in the new Era.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes, they do.
    It's one thing to hire the best person for the job but an editor must be able to look at the written script in hand and tell the writer what works and what doesn't and offer critical advice on how to make the issue/story better, regardless of who that writer is. Some people give Shooter crap (deservedly so) but under his editorialship Claremont's "baser instincts" were definitely reigned in for the better.

I feel the lack of astute Editorial input has been a major issue with the Krakoa Era, from very early on. Hopefully Brevoort will have a more direct input in the new Era.
    If the editor had been doing his job, Hickman probably wouldn’t have left. It’s like… the Clone Saga. They had a plan and because it was successful, they stretched it out WAY farther than they should have until people were sick of it and had to alter course. They should have let Ben stay Spider-Man instead of freaking out and changing it back so fast.

https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/x-m...s-new-mission/

"All of the assorted mutants of the world need to go and reintegrate back into the rest of the planet and live and coexist alongside a whole bunch of people that they just spent the last five years saying that they were the new inheritors of the future and that you have new gods now," Brevoort says. "People around the planet have not taken that message to heart in a purely positive fashion."
    Seems they're going to address mutant supremacy in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/x-m...s-new-mission/

Seems they're going to address mutant supremacy in some way.
    Sweet, thanks for posting. I'll start a new thread for the interview.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

Most X-Men Unlimited stories have solid writing, but the art is usually pretty crappy. Some of them remind me of the awful artist Marvel had hanging around in the mid-90s that would do forgettable fair for the company like mail-away comics and books that were failing. Unlimited can work, but it is going to need a real artistic shot in the art to move the needle for me. And no more data pages. Show us don't tell.