Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    An underwhelming story.
    Agreed, much like issue #900.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    If anything its just hanging over the character and a lot of the fanbase for a long while now.
    Yes, the constant elephant in the room.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tears4Fears View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #900 was the worst anniversary issue in the entire title's run.
    was gonna say something along those lines. 900 was so depressing and went nowhere, the ''obligatory celebration'' feel they went with just made me bummed out reading it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca Blitzkrieg View Post
    was gonna say something along those lines. 900 was so depressing and went nowhere, the ''obligatory celebration'' feel they went with just made me bummed out reading it.
    And several of the characters in issue #900 felt "out of character."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    The anthology anniversaries always suck
    They sure do.

Is ASM #500 still the gold standard for landmark anniversary issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Tears4Fears View Post
    I don't think it's foolish to want OMD undone in issue 1000. I also would not mind several questions answered to different subplots introduced by different writers through the years such as the subplot with the multiple chameleons and Peter Parker's sister in Spencer's run. In relation to OMD, I would like to know how Mephisto's endgame plan with the marvel universe ties into his deal with Peter Paker as well as how the deal can be undone. Several subplots answered throughout issue 1000 would be great, but we all know it will never happen.
    Assuming 24 issues of Amazing Spider-Man a year, that comic won't come out until around September 2026.

If the decisionmakers at Marvel are willing to reverse One More Day, someone who wants that story done should advocate for doing it as soon as possible.

Otherwise an editor could change his mind two and a half years from now, and all those hopes would be dashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Is ASM #500 still the gold standard for landmark anniversary issues?
    It's probably below-average, but it's more about the competition.

#100 has the iconic cliffhanger, but it also had Spider-Man reflecting on his life.
    #200 concluded the Burglar saga.
    #300 introduced Venom.
    #400 killed off Aunt May.
    #500 was the conclusion of a story heavy on Dr Strange lore. It's a solid issue that tackles Spidey's history in interesting ways.
    #600 was a showdown with Dr Octopus, that set the stage for Superior Spider-Man.
    #700 kicked off Superior Spider-Man.
    #800 was the culmination of Dan Slott's run.

Some of you don't like #900 but that's more about execution than the premise of an obscure classic villain trying to figure out what makes Spider-Man tic, and Spidey facing someone with the powers of his enemies.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-12-2023 at 02:51 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Real question is will we have some form of a status quo change like superior did or some nostalgia based issue of the past. I'd campaign to get a status quo change even if it wasn't the marriage but that's just me.

Astonishing Member

This thread is going to age like milk. It’ll be a forgettable, oversized, overpriced book with even more forgettable throwaway backups. Anyone expecting OMD to be undone will be disappointed… again.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    This thread is going to age like milk. It’ll be a forgettable, oversized, overpriced book with even more forgettable throwaway backups. Anyone expecting OMD to be undone will be disappointed… again.
    I don't think anyone is expecting OMD to be undone with ASM #1000. I pretty much said in my initial post what you are saying. The issue will be a forgettable, oversized and overpriced book with even more forgettable throwaway backups much like Detective #1000 and Action Comics #1000.

BANNED

It's hard to speculate when so much of current ASM just feels so random. Whatever plans Wells has doesn't really feel like it's been gelling very well. What the landscape of Marvel even is by that point will probably look fairly different with the current editorial shake-up that appears to be occurring.

Ideally, they'd use such a massive opportunity to really celebrate everything fans love about Spidey, maybe even something big enough to win a huge portion of the fanbase back like with restoring the marriage. That being said, my inner-cynic doesn't expect anything as wonderful as that to happen. Maybe they'll throw us marriage fans a bone with a Renew Your Vows short story in the bunch. That feels more realistic.

Sadness and regret

lots of variants of Mary Jane, Black Cat and Gwen and Spider-man thats for sure. As for what happens in the story no idea
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mary Jane got pregnant by Paul and because of that they decide to get married.

Astonishing Member

Best case, an OMD undoing and/or something on par with ASM#500.

Worst case, something on par with AF#1000.

They are not going to drop the ball or have Wells write it. Anyone who thinks that is conflating cynicism with realism. The reality is that ASM#1000 will be Marvel's first comic in history to reach that number, and the mainstream media will have eyes on it the way they had eyes on every major tentpole comic event.

Something like ASM#900, or the current quality of the Wells run, just isn't going to happen with ASM#1000.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-12-2023 at 08:08 PM.