Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What's going on with Justice League?

I don't buy DC but I noticed that Justice League has been missing for awhile. Is there a real world reason why DC isn't publishing JLA?

Real world reason must be, but we don't know it, we can only speculate.

Maybe DC editors want to push more for other team books as the league stole too much space in the DC universe and they need to other teams to have a space to grow.
    Or maybe because the last run was so horrible than the editors considered tha it was better to leave the brand to rest for a while. Don't worry, they will return eventually.

In universe story: The League "died" during Dark Crisis and when they returned, they choose to not reactivate the team for a while.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The Justice League was never interesting to me in the first place. I don't like end of the world scenarios (there are exceptions, though) or invasions or cosmic stories (but love New Gods). Having read the Meltzer/McDuffy run recently and that has aged well. Showcasing characters that are forgotten most of the time. I love JSA by Goyer and Johns and Suicide Squad by Ostrander and BoP by Simone. Nothing is more boring than the Trinity together in the League. Let the League rest a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Real world reason must be, but we don't know it, we can only speculate.

Maybe DC editors want to push more for other team books as the league stole too much space in the DC universe and they need to other teams to have a space to grow.
    Or maybe because the last run was so horrible than the editors considered tha it was better to leave the brand to rest for a while. Don't worry, they will return eventually.

In universe story: The League "died" during Dark Crisis and when they returned, they choose to not reactivate the team for a while.
    Not quite. Superman and Wonder Woman asked Nightwing to create a new team, but he built a new Titans Tower and reunited the New Teen Titans instead of forming a new Justice League. The Titans have taken on the League's duties, but not their name and headquarters. The Hall of Justice remains active - while they no longer have a book, Justice League Dark is still based there (they've shown up in the current JSA book) and it was used to organise the heroes in Lazarus Planet.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-14-2023 at 02:21 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think it's been over a year now without a Justice League book. I get that the last 2 runs were less than phenomenal so DC probably wants to let the brand rest until they get a pitch that they really like. I just hope that happens sooner than later as I need my JLA fix. That being said, I am enjoying Titans, JSA, and Doom Patrol.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I guess it's lack of ideas and any particular interest from top writers. Last few runs indeed weren't really good + it's not like there's going to be some big Justice League project anytime soon.

Wonder if it possibly has something to do with the poisoned JL movie brand.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I guess it's lack of ideas and any particular interest from top writers. Last few runs indeed weren't really good + it's not like there's going to be some big Justice League project anytime soon.
    Did Snyder's run sell? I know Metal and Death Metal were good for DC, but the actual didn't seem to make much of an impact.

Can't think of any run since Johns' ended that felt like it had any real impact - I guess there was a calculation that the boost to the Titans brand by having them "take over" was more valuable to DC than their loss by resting the League for a bit.

(In-universe, mind, I have no idea why the events of Dark Crisis would cause the League to decide to disband.)

In the first three or four months of the Dawn of DC timeline ads, there was both a JLD and Justice League image presented (Bobo holding Fate’s helmet, and the JL logo).
    Both these stories may have been put on the back burner for now in order to give the Titans more time as DC’s “premiere” team!
    (After all, their run was interrupted after just two issues by Knight Terrors!).

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    In the first three or four months of the Dawn of DC timeline ads, there was both a JLD and Justice League image presented (Bobo holding Fate’s helmet, and the JL logo).
    Both these stories may have been put on the back burner for now in order to give the Titans more time as DC’s “premiere” team!
    (After all, their run was interrupted after just two issues by Knight Terrors!).

I was thinking something similar. Perhaps when Taylor & Scott agreed to do Titans DC said, "Hey, we can't take the chance of sabotaging an all-star team like them on reviving Titans with a Justice League relaunch so soon so we'll push out the League's return until Titans has had a chance to solidify their stance in the DCU."
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    . . . The Hall of Justice remains active - while they no longer have a book, Justice League Dark is still based there (they've shown up in the current JSA book) and it was used to organise the heroes in Lazarus Planet.
    Are Deadman, Detective Chimp, Khalid and Madame Xanadu all that's left of Justice League Dark?

Zatanna "died" in Death of the Justice League, and maybe didn't return afterwards (for the same reason that the main team disbanded). Obviously the same logic applies to Wonder Woman. Which just leaves Constantine unexplained.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Has it really been a year since Justice League #75? Damn.
    "Cable was right!"

April 2022, so it's been 16 months, yeah.

I'm hoping that whenever the League does finally reappear, it's something different, not just coasting on the usual core line-up that nobody seems able to shake since Morrison's run. Make it a small army with a couple dozen members, a modern-day Legion of Super-Heroes or an in-universe take on the JLU cartoon. Or re-embrace the concept of the Justice League International days, without the tone, and have multiple outposts across the globe populated with combinations of big names, second-tier characters, and lesser known (or new) characters who are specific to the region they're in. Anything other than the "Big 7 plus a couple friends" line-up. It looks good for the covers, it might help sales, but storywise it's the most static and undynamic thing they could do.