Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which still unadapted stories do you want to see adapted?

Which Superman stories never adapted into a DCAU episode or DTV movie would you like to see get done in either a show or movie?
    For me:

Superman Smashes the Klan - only caveat is I don't trust the Tomorrow-verse crew to do it, but otherwise this is my biggest Superman adaptation wish.

Man and Superman - a Superman origin that skips all the Krypton and Smallville stuff and really does early days Metropolis so good. For origins it's always between this and Birthright for me.

Birthright - the other best origin.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superman #300 is actually a story I've turned in my head countless times when it comes to something I'd want a part in bringing to animation. Same with the old school Kosmos stuff, and Lois & Clark but really that was before Superman & Lois.

Live action, probably Strength or if they were to turn around and pass Superman Adventures through yet another medium.

The Warworld saga would have to be the most practical choice for either.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

"Ending Battle". Oh, I want so much to see ending battle. Superman against all his enemies in a run to save his loved ones.

Also, as we got already For the man who has everything, why not adapt the other big SUperman story of Alan Moore with an animated "Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?"
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-13-2023 at 10:48 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

I second Whatever Happened ....

Wouldn't mind some adaptation of the 1970's Who Took The Super Out Of Superman story arc where Superman believes it is necessary to either become Clark or Superman 24/7. It might need a bit of tweaking as the bad guy behind it and the last issue were bland, but the exploration of both identities with strengths and drawbacks is timeless, Seeing Clark spending a day powerless and still advancing the cause of Truth, Justice, etc while also forced to deal with not being able to save anyone as Superman, then seeing Superman having his full powers but no ability to have a moment to himself where someone isn't demanding some feat from him. That would be a great exploration of the character.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 08-13-2023 at 11:21 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    "Ending Battle". Oh, I want so much to see ending battle. Superman against all his enemies in a run to save his loved ones.

Also, as we got already For the man who has everything, why not adapt the other big SUperman story of Alan Moore with an animated "Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?"
    I was actually just looking for a trade of Ending Battle and the prices are funky. Would be a good reason to reprint that story and stick Action #775 in it to beef up the page count
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

"Kryptonite Nevermore/The Sandman Saga" would be my choice, just to see Superman take a bite out of Kryptonite...

Astonishing Member

I second Superman Smashes the Klan!

The Sandman Saga would be another great one.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Put me down for:

1. Panic In The Sky - Supes leads the League against the force of Brainiac and Warworld.

2. New Krypton - As a two-parter. Take the route of Superman vs The Elite and Batman Under The Red Hood. Where the animated adaption improves the comic source material. Instead of having the 4 member Superman family (Kal, Kara, Connor and John Henry) and Guardian against all of Zod's army and Sam Lane/Luthor's forces. Include the JL (JLA and JLI), TT, SS and Legion of Superheroes in the defense of Earth. The comic version of this story didn't involve the JLA, JSA, TT or the Legion. Despite all these teams playing a role in the 2 year build up of the NK story. Done properly, this could be a triumph.

3. Doomsday Clock - Same as above. Improve with animation, what the comic source material lacked. Unlike the comic, where Supes is absent or MIA for large portions of the story. Keep the focus on Superman and the Charlton Comic characters.

Charlton Comics:
    Captain Atom - Inspiration for Dr. Manhattan
    Peacemaker - Inspiration for The Comedian
    Question - Inspiration for Rorschach
    Nightshade - Inspiration for Silk Spectre
    Blue Beetle (Kord) - Inspiration for Nite Owl (Dreidberg)
    Thunderbolt - Inspiration for Ozymandias

Doomsday Clock could work as a mystery/puzzle that needs to be solved. Along the way Supes coordinates and investigates with his universe's versions of the Watchmen characters; to solve the Manhattan Mystery. Avoid bloat by excluding the JLA, JLD, and GLC. Who in the comic of DC, only showed up to get beat up. The appearances by the JSA and Legion can also be dropped.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-14-2023 at 07:12 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'd love to see Exile and Death of Clark Kent adapted. Big fan of those, although Exile would certainly need 2 movies at least.

Dead Again would be a blast!

Someone has already mentioned Ending Battle. That'd be awesome.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Put me down for:

1. Panic In The Sky - Supes leads the League against the force of Brainiac and Warworld.

2. New Krypton - As a two-parter. Take the route of Superman vs The Elite and Batman Under The Red Hood. Where the animated adaption improves the comic source material. Instead of having the 4 member Superman family (Kal, Kara, Connor and John Henry) and Guardian against all of Zod's army and Sam Lane/Luthor's forces. Include the JL (JLA and JLI), TT, SS and Legion of Superheroes in the defense of Earth. The comic version of this story didn't involve the JLA, JSA, TT or the Legion. Despite all these teams playing a role in the 2 year build up of the NK story. Done properly, this could be a triumph.

3. Doomsday Clock - Same as above. Improve with animation, what the comic source material lacked. Unlike the comic, where Supes is absent or MIA for large portions of the story. Keep the focus on Superman and the Charlton Comic characters.

Charlton Comics:
    Captain Atom - Inspiration for Dr. Manhattan
    Peacemaker - Inspiration for The Comedian
    Question - Inspiration for Rorschach
    Nightshade - Inspiration for Silk Spectre
    Blue Beetle (Kord) - Inspiration for Nite Owl (Dreidberg)
    Thunderbolt - Inspiration for Ozymandias

Doomsday Clock could work as a mystery/puzzle that needs to be solved. Along the way Supes coordinates and investigates with his universe's versions of the Watchmen characters; to solve the Manhattan Mystery. Avoid bloat by excluding the JLA, JLD, and GLC. Who in the comic of DC, only showed up to get beat up. The appearances by the JSA and Legion can also be dropped.
    The first two sounds more like Justice League movies than Superman focused movies. Unless the JLA had small, small roles.

I think the Doomsday Clock couldn't be done to include Thunderbolt. Better replace him with Judomaster.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'd love to see Exile and Death of Clark Kent adapted. Big fan of those, although Exile would certainly need 2 movies at least.
    You could do Exile as a two-parter. Part 1: Supergirl Saga on the Pocket Earth. Part 2 you can do Exile.

Personally, I’d make it a 3 parter. With the duel against Superman and Superboy in the first arc. Leading to Supergirl and Exile. Up the tragedy of Superman’s experience on that parallel world. Ending with a triumphant return.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The first two sounds more like Justice League movies than Superman focused movies. Unless the JLA had small, small roles.

I think the Doomsday Clock couldn't be done to include Thunderbolt. Better replace him with Judomaster.
    Death/Reign of Superman were Justice League-lite stories. They were too big to not include the League in a significant part. What makes them Superman focus stories are using Supes’ stories from the comics and using Supes’ villains to drive the threat.

For New Krypton, the ensemble groups only need to be there for the drama of what to do in the potential threat of 100,000 K’s lead by known villain Zod. As well as show up for the big battle at the end. Like I said, all ensembles were absent in the comic version of NK’s finale.

You’re right. Doomsday Clock doesn’t need Thunderbolt/Ozymandias. He’s mainly there for symmetry.
    You really only need Clark and Question for investigating. Clark and Kord for science and discovery. Clark and Capt Atom for combat and understanding Dr. Manhattan’s influence on the timeline. Capt Atom also being capable of quantum leaping as an atomic superman. Peacemaker and Nightshade are superfluous but Nightshade is Atom’s sidekick. Peacemaker has a resurgent popularity after his show and appearance in TSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Death/Reign of Superman were Justice League-lite stories. They were too big to not include the League in a significant part. What makes them Superman focus stories are using Supes’ stories from the comics and using Supes’ villains to drive the threat.
    No, those were stories of Superman with a minor participation of the Justice League. The important element was Superman and his world. In the animation indeed their presence was a little extended but in the comics, they appeared in ,like, five issues from the twenty of the whole death and return.

For New Krypton, the ensemble groups only need to be there for the drama of what to do in the potential threat of 100,000 K’s lead by known villain Zod. As well as show up for the big battle at the end. Like I said, all ensembles were absent in the comic version of NK’s finale.
    OK, that I admit would be pretty impresive, specially if you include the whole DC universe, but that would dimish the idea of being a Superman movie.

You’re right. Doomsday Clock doesn’t need Thunderbolt/Ozymandias. He’s mainly there for symmetry.
    You really only need Clark and Question for investigating. Clark and Kord for science and discovery. Clark and Capt Atom for combat and understanding Dr. Manhattan’s influence on the timeline. Capt Atom also being capable of quantum leaping as an atomic superman. Peacemaker and Nightshade are superfluous but Nightshade is Atom’s sidekick. Peacemaker has a resurgent popularity after his show and appearance in TSS.
    Err, no, what I mean is DC don't have the rights to publish anything related to Thunderbolt aka Peter Cannon. Those reverted to his creator's estate.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm surprised that Smashes the Klan hasn't already been adapted into at least an animated movie yet. There's a story in the Smallville comic that sort of combines New Krypton with the Legion that I thought was good. But it kind of only works in the context of the show. I'd love to see an adaptation of Superman 78 as an animated movie. It's the third movie we should have gotten.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm surprised that Smashes the Klan hasn't already been adapted into at least an animated movie yet. There's a story in the Smallville comic that sort of combines New Krypton with the Legion that I thought was good. But it kind of only works in the context of the show. I'd love to see an adaptation of Superman 78 as an animated movie. It's the third movie we should have gotten.
    It's been, what, 4 years? Usually takes at least that long for a story to get adapted. Flashpoint took only 2 years but that's because DC wanted to create a New 52 animated universe.

But I'd be surprised if we don't get a Superman Smashes the Klan adaptation in the next couple of years. Unless of course Gunn actively blocks all projects not connected to his DCU.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now that would be something! Complete with the real Goonies actors to voice their Easter egg scenes, lol.

For myself, I’d like to see a faithful animated version of PKJ Warworld. Gladiator combat and fantasy elements would be awesome. Plus a voiceover narration of Clark’s journal entries would be pretty sweet.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 08-15-2023 at 01:09 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog