Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I watched it last night and actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I think anyone going in expecting a full blown Spidey story will be disappointed as this is really more of a Peter movie and while it wasn't perfect I think a lot of it worked well. The characterization and casting was great. This is probably the first time I've seen a live action MJ and actually felt like I was watching that character. The highlight for me was definitely the costuming, both superhero and civilian.

I think newer fans might have a hard time with this harsher characterization of Peter but in the context of being a love letter to the 70s era and what Peter was going through at this time I actually thought they did a good job showing a Peter at one of his lowest points.

I'd give it a good 7.5/10 as a solid love letter to this era and the coffee bean gang. Definitely not movie quality but I've watched CW superhero shows with a bigger budget with much worse writing and less care for the characters so in that context I liked it.
    Last edited by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper; 08-16-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Saw it, liked it. But people are right in looking at it as a baggage piece that seems a little inconsiderate at times.

Spidey is sad Gwen died, and tells the mom of dying kid who might lose her only child how much the kid's hero sucks. That was rather tasetless and I agree.

I got where they were going with it looking at trailers and Gavin explaining his ideas behind the movie, so no issues from me about it being more Peter Parker centric with less emphasis on Spider-Man action, but Harry walking for a minute aimlessly is a bad choice that drags.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 08-21-2023 at 05:37 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Trauma dumping on a terminally ill kid for 20 minutes and only going back when you get told off by the boy's mother isn't that great either.

Live Photo from the premiere.

IMG_0797.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Live Photo from the premiere.
    Classy. I'm sure you never made dumb comments as a teenager and you'd agree that it would be really funny and not at all unfair if an old friend used them to try and ruin your life now and harm a project with many people
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Classy. I'm sure you never made dumb comments as a teenager and you'd agree that it would be really funny and not at all unfair if an old friend used them to try and ruin your life now and harm a project with many people
    wasn't he 18 when he said that shit, that was like what 4 years ago for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    wasn't he 18 when he said that shit, that was like what 4 years ago for him?
    Also IIRC one of the leaked DMs was laughing about people pointing out the lack of diversity in the cast ‘like that wasn’t the whole point’.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Also IIRC one of the leaked DMs was laughing about people pointing out the lack of diversity in the cast ‘like that wasn’t the whole point’.
    A) Please provide a link to what you're talking about, because I cannot find it.
    B) 'People pointing out the lack of diversity in the cast' are clowns and should be laughed at. There is never a need to raceswap any characters unless you value quotas and tokens over a faithful adaption. Besides, the movie did raceswap Shocker and cast a half Asian actress as Gwen.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    A) Please provide a link to what you're talking about, because I cannot find it.
    B) 'People pointing out the lack of diversity in the cast' are clowns and should be laughed at. There is never a need to raceswap any characters unless you value quotas and tokens over a faithful adaption. Besides, the movie did raceswap Shocker and cast a half Asian actress as Gwen.
    think he is referring to this, again if these are altered in some way I really couldn't tell.
    weird message.jpg
    Last edited by Matt14teg; 08-22-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    think he is referring to this, again if these are altered in some way I really couldn't tell.
    weird message.jpg
    I do not know either. I heard that some were real and some were fake. But this wouldn't make much sense because, as I said, he cast a black guy as Shocker, a Romani guy as Green Goblin, and a half Asian woman as Gwen Stacy.

Well this seems like a fairly comprehensive breakdown of the whole debacle:

BANNED

Great video/break-down and genuinely hilarious I laughed out loud so many times. I think Marcus really drives home the point that if the director hadn't had such an ego then this would have just come and gone like every other fan film.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Was an interesting watch, was not expecting the moment when Peter started yelling racial slurs at Miles

When you're going around bashing Directors that boosted attention to your fan film while smiling in their faces and bashing them in DMs behind their back and bragging how you can make better movies than them. People are gonna watch your stuff with a more watchful eye. The movie was what he considered him 'sticking it to' the Hollywood that thinks they know how to make a Spider-Man film, and it fell flat on it. Don't point at the stands and hit a single, and worse, don't point at the stands and hit a line drive and get thrown out at first base.

Had he not had such an ego nor been so arrogant, people would be looking at it with a less critical eye. Instead of seeing it as "A great first attempt from a young director whom has the potential to go forward and do great things." it is seen as "The ego project from a guy that bragged he knew better than the Writers and Directors that made the films and instead proved he was nowhere near them."

All that said, if he continues to pursue Directing, this isn't going to effect his career in the slightest. As people will already excuse what he's done and 5 years from now they'll act like this is all old hat and give him a "second and third and fourth" chance. He'll have the benefit of being allowed to screw up multiple times before it actually has a chance at ending his career.

I thought Watts' work wasn't great either. But Watts promoted what he was doing. Did you think he was going to rebuke him publicly? That's one of the problems in Hollywood and comics. People no longer feel comfortable being honest about other people's work if they're kind to them IRL. Not knowing someone allows complete honesty. And someone can be the nicest person in the world but do shoddy work. And it's crummy that someone would leak private messages. I cannot think of any people who would be totally fine with their private messages getting leaked. And whatever you think of the movie, you have to admit that it understood Spider-Man better than the MCU.