Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: Off-World by Jason Aaron and Doug Mahnke

IGN can exclusively reveal Batman: Off-World, a six-issue limited series that pairs Aaron with artist Doug Mahnke (Detective Comics, Green Lantern) and inker Jamie Mendoza. As the title suggests, Off-World drags Batman away from Earth and on a rare solo mission to an alien world.
    A routine night in Gotham City for a young Batman proves to be anything but routine when the crime-fighter is confronted with a sort of foe he’s never faced before—one from beyond the stars! A universe of possible alien threats leads Batman to make a daring decision—to venture alone into the far reaches of the cosmos for the very first time, where the Dark Knight will face the fight of his life!

Superstar writer Jason Aaron delivers his first Batman story ever, partnered with blockbuster artist Doug Mahnke for a unique, brutal tale!
    “I fell in love with comics because of DC," Aaron tells IGN. "The first books my young, beardless self ever plucked from a grocery store spinner rack were the New Teen Titans and World's Finest and Batman. Books that opened the door to a universe of stories that would quite literally change the course of my life. So it is with great honor and excitement that at long last I get to make my proper debut as a DC writer, with a Batman story that takes a young Dark Knight on his own first journey into the far, wondrous reaches of the DC cosmos.”

Of course Jason Aaron arrives at DC and writing Batman .

Though the premise is very fitting for him and it's always nice to have Mahnke draw Batman .

Astonishing Member

Can't say I'm really interested. Aaron wrote some comicbook runs which I consider one of my favorite of all time (Thor, Wolverine and X-Men), but he's not the writer he used be.
    And this premise, come on, it's not like Batman in space is something unusual these days. I would be more surprised, if he was fighting some serial killer or criminal organisation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of course Jason Aaron arrives at DC and writing Batman .

Though the premise is very fitting for him and it's always nice to have Mahnke draw Batman .
    The important thing is for him to stay away from Thor.
    And at DC there's no risk of him writing Daredevil.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    The important thing is for him to stay away from Thor.
    And at DC there's no risk of him writing Daredevil.
    I loved his Thor.

I don't know about Batman in space but I'll probably try it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

His Avengers really turned me off, but I wouldn't mind his bugnuts style on a batbook.

Hopefully it's like Batman Universe by Bendis

I know there's a large portion of the fanbase against the sci-fi stuff for Batman, with the possible exception of JL stuff but never solo, but I'm intrigued. Just like I feel like Superman should get to tangle with more mystery and street level crime, the idea of going against the grain appeals to me. But whether it's done well or executed poorly is the real question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I know there's a large portion of the fanbase against the sci-fi stuff for Batman, with the possible exception of JL stuff but never solo, but I'm intrigued. Just like I feel like Superman should get to tangle with more mystery and street level crime, the idea of going against the grain appeals to me. But whether it's done well or executed poorly is the real question.
    Not me, I am tired of the street level Batman stuff, that's why we have been stuck on this treadmill of Gotham being taken over every year.

I want more sci-fi Batman, especially since sci-fi has been a part of Batman from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Not me, I am tired of the street level Batman stuff, that's why we have been stuck on this treadmill of Gotham being taken over every year.

I want more sci-fi Batman, especially since sci-fi has been a part of Batman from the very beginning.
    That's not even really street level in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's not even really street level in my opinion...
    I mean it's not taken over by aliens, it's usually Joker or some other knob.

Compare it to Morrison's first JLA arc with the white martians

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I mean it's not taken over by aliens, it's usually Joker or some other knob.

Compare it to Morrison's first JLA arc with the white martians
    It's the scale and execution in my opinion.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I loved Scalped and would prefer Batman investigating a reservation murder or something like that.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Jason Aaron is a decent get if he's coming to DC. This looks like something fresh, or at least not done a lot recently, so I'll give it a shot.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

... so does Batman lose worthiness?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... so does Batman lose worthiness?
    I don't get it...?