Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of course Jason Aaron arrives at DC and writing Batman .

Though the premise is very fitting for him and it's always nice to have Mahnke draw Batman .
    Yeah, I always think whenever these guys cross over to one of the other big two companies, they get it in their contracts they HAVE to write for Superman and/or Batman.
    Which is how we get Jason Aaron on Action Comics and on Batman: Off World.
    Please, is there any big creator that would want to write for a non-Batman and Superman comic?
    Or is this always just mandatory from DC?

Extraordinary Member

Batman: Off-World #3 Preview
    Writer: Jason Aaron
    Artist: Doug Mahnke

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman: Off-World #3 Preview

Batman on a space jaunt with a space babe! Classic .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This continues to be a fun jaunt, nothing really Earth shattering here but it's a decent read.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This continues to be a fun jaunt, nothing really Earth shattering here but it's a decent read.
    That's about where I am. The pacing is solid and his personality is being pushed in a way it often isn't.

It is nice to see that, if he's got to be the bestest and defeat highly powered aliens, at least he's learning and training how to do it. He's also getting his butt kicked a lot. It's still a bit Bat-God for my taste, I'd prefer him to have to 100% rely on stealth and environment against beings he shouldn't be able to physically damage, but it's much better than him just being able to do it without explanation, which is usual.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Batman: Off-World #4 Preview

Batman on a galaxy-spanning crime-fighting crusade .

Incredible Member

While I'm enjoying the book...think I'd have preferred if it was not a Batman book.

My pick would've been Mr. Terrific.

But of course, we all know why it's Batman...

Although I've been enjoying the book well enough thus far I found myself siding with Bruce's self doubt here: what is he still doing out fighting space pirates? And the answer that Aaron gave: that Bruce couldn't keep wearing the cowl if he turned back knowing what he knows just wasn't very convincing. This really feels like a story that should have ended instead of continuing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Although I've been enjoying the book well enough thus far I found myself siding with Bruce's self doubt here: what is he still doing out fighting space pirates? And the answer that Aaron gave: that Bruce couldn't keep wearing the cowl if he turned back knowing what he knows just wasn't very convincing. This really feels like a story that should have ended instead of continuing.
    I like the idea that the War on Crime extends beyond Gotham but there's only so many places you can take that outside League stuff.

I like the idea that the War on Crime extends beyond Gotham but there's only so many places you can take that outside League stuff.
    Yeah, it's a decent enough idea...but I think its stretched a little thin at this point.

Batman on a galaxy-spanning crime-fighting crusade .
    Of course, it's a 'galaxy' that's only 26 million miles away, so about as far from us as Venus. J'onn J'onnz's home is almost twice as far away as everything in this story.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 04-25-2024 at 07:24 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah, I always think whenever these guys cross over to one of the other big two companies, they get it in their contracts they HAVE to write for Superman and/or Batman.
    Which is how we get Jason Aaron on Action Comics and on Batman: Off World.
    Please, is there any big creator that would want to write for a non-Batman and Superman comic?
    Or is this always just mandatory from DC?
    Even Aaron's Superman story was actually just another Joker story when it comes down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Even Aaron's Superman story was actually just another Joker story when it comes down to it.
    Isn't fairer to say it's a Superman story that ended up featuring Joker? Like Emperor Joker.

Fantastic Member

Isn't fairer to say it's a Superman story that ended up featuring Joker? Like Emperor Joker.
    It just felt like the Superman part was two issues of setup so Joker can come in and take over the story in the final issue. It was a copout to see Superman relegated to the supporting role in the last act so Joker can save the world.

In Emperor Joker, Superman is the one who saves the world in the end.

It was like Aaron was only interested in writing a Joker story so he used a Superman comics for that (even though he is also writing a Batman story at the moment).
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 04-26-2024 at 01:14 PM.