Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

I'd say the fragmented nature of Marvel and DC is more the problem than its vast history. One Piece is equally long but you don't need to read 5 comics to get the whole story. Indie comics can take advantage of that fact and market themselves that way.

Plus the lack of coordination between the comics and adaptations doesn't help if you want to jump over.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-29-2024 at 10:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The issue with discounting or discrediting the transition to digital is that the core fanbase has been resistant to the digital forum when it comes to comic books specifically, and more or less provide no support to it.

There's no question it would be substantially cheaper to publish everything digitally versus print. And digital releases are certainly more accessible than comic book stores these days. But if the fans won't support it, then it's hard to change your model completely to digital. That's why graphic novels still sell so well - fans still get that physical book in their hands, but they're still saving money versus buying a single issue at 4 or 5 bucks a pop.
    Digital is way cheaper than print for the consumer. Marvel's app has 30k comics for a monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Digital is way cheaper than print for the consumer. Marvel's app has 30k comics for a monthly fee.
    The elephant in the room with digital is how easy it makes piracy. When I was a kid, I prayed for a magic box that could have every comic ever made (without me having to pay for it. ) An Ipad can do that.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

The Ghost Machine preview coming soon is 64 pages for $4.99. Good move in order to get ppl to check out their line.

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The Ghost Machine preview coming soon is 64 pages for $4.99. Good move in order to get ppl to check out their line.
    Maybe.

This is also an example of niche-ification, where fans get into smaller and smaller groups.

The Great Machine is part of a plan by Geoff Johns and friends to create a new complex sci-fi shared universe.

And I know Jonathan Hickman and his friends are doing a similar thing on Substack.

And they will be able to make a living on relatively small fanbases (Without the overhead of Marvel, Image books make writers and artists more money with less copies; Hickman's thing costs $80 a year so with 5,000 paying customers that would be $400,000 a year before collected editions or perks for higher-paying customers.)

Getting small, loyal fanbases isn't going to affect the wider culture the way a massive hit would.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Maybe.

This is also an example of niche-ification, where fans get into smaller and smaller groups.

The Great Machine is part of a plan by Geoff Johns and friends to create a new complex sci-fi shared universe.

And I know Jonathan Hickman and his friends are doing a similar thing on Substack.

And they will be able to make a living on relatively small fanbases (Without the overhead of Marvel, Image books make writers and artists more money with less copies; Hickman's thing costs $80 a year so with 5,000 paying customers that would be $400,000 a year before collected editions or perks for higher-paying customers.)

Getting small, loyal fanbases isn't going to affect the wider culture the way a massive hit would.
    Oh sure, I mostly agree. I'm not sure it'll bring new fans to the hobby. I just think it's a good idea for current fans. A fair number of ppl balked at the price of Hickman's GODS first issue even though it was an extra sized comic and you were paying what you would for two regular comics so it made sense.

I believe this has been discussed before, but I will say it again. Comics sold extremely well in the 1940's, a time when there are a very few entertainment options available. No video games. No internet. No cellphones. Television barely came into existence in the 1940's. Of course, there have been the movie theaters and radio shows. Another reason for the popularity of the comics was the World War II. Children who dreamed of fighting for their country but were not allowed to, started buying comic books of Captain America punching Hitler to entertain their fantasies of fighting in the WWII.

So was just at our city's public library. Nephew wanted a big nate book so went to the kids graphic novel section. Was really happy to report that the comics section in the kids room area added even more areas and now spread from 80% of an aisle to the next side! Also, the "spotlight" shelfs were 80% comics there and they had a "comics" showcase" this week with books like guts and pokemon manga, splatoon and others on display!

Nice to see kids are reading comics. Just not floppies.

I went to NYC two weeks ago and visited a comics shop called Midtown Comics, in Manhattan.

I was there for ~2 hours and a lot of people came and went. I know this is a very small sample size but my observation is: everyone (and I mean everyone) who visited the shop while I was there was over 40, in many cases way over 40.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I went to NYC two weeks ago and visited a comics shop called Midtown Comics, in Manhattan.

I was there for ~2 hours and a lot of people came and went. I know this is a very small sample size but my observation is: everyone (and I mean everyone) who visited the shop while I was there was over 40, in many cases way over 40.
    Comics are no longer for kids. Comics used to be for kids until late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post

One of the major things comics needs is figuring out material that younger people will pay for.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One of the major things comics needs is figuring out material that younger people will pay for.
    They also need to figure out price. Why would younger people, particularly kids pay $5 dollars for a 24 pages of comic book art they can finish reading in a few minutes?

Invincible Member

Saw this link over in the Marvel boards, Marvel planning to give away free comics next month

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ma...864a9f9b&ei=37

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    They also need to figure out price. Why would younger people, particularly kids pay $5 dollars for a 24 pages of comic book art they can finish reading in a few minutes?
    Because they get a temporary tattoo of Spawn, plastic web shooters or a cardboard Astralad mask?