Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dark X-men 1: Review & Spoilers

So this issue is divided into 2 parts. The first one is written by Steve Foxe with art by Jonas Scharf and is 22 pages. The second one is by Foxe with art by Nelson Dániel and clocks out on 9 pages.

So lets start with the first one.
    We get the preview pages. Maddie is reflecting on how Limbo reflects her and how it’s changing as she is after the events of Dark X-men. Alex wakes her from her dream, there are protesters outside of the embassy, again. We get some exposition and a double pages showing us some of the residents of the embassy. Then to end the preview pages we get the demon cerebro or as Maddie calls it the Mercy Crown. She lets Alex know that she felt Jean die but no one else( I assume no other telepaths died and the numbers were low enough not to register), so she believes that the roughly 250000 mutants are still alive somewhere and she aims to find them. End of preview.

In Queens Carmen is visiting a friend from her Children of the Atoms mini which I didn’t read so now clue as to which one it is. They have short blond hair and glasses. Carmen is disguised as a friend called Benny and the father welcomes “him” happily. Sadly that turns when he snopes on them and sees Carmen shapeshift back into her default mode. He does what any proud citizen would do and directly reports it to an authority.. or whatever you would call Orchis. Yeah the dad is not father of the year material.

A data page follows with a chat from some of the Children of the Atom cast.

Troops storm the basement and arrest and detain Carmen while the father stutters out that he don’t want them to hurt his daughter and that he just wanted to protect his family. Which seems very odd on the behalf that no one knew except his daughter and then him after he snooped. So basically he represents the spineless majority who makes up the USA after Orchis has taken over.

Carmen wakes up after her arrest in a prison transport, on her way to a re-eduction camp. Fortunately Gambit has other plans and we get a cool scene where he throws out some charged road spikes to blow the transport up. Warren then swoops in and rips open the doors. The art here really sells it. Carmen even gets a kick in towards a guard that was less then sympathetic. We then get to see Carmens rescuers: Remy, Warren and Japheth. Good old Maggot is here and looking cool in shades even though it’s night time. Perhaps he needs theme for his eyes? He is all blued up so his physiology is enhanced.

The guard that Carmen kicked is sadly not down for the count. Instead he does his own kicking at another guard. In this case to kickstart him. Lot of kicking jokes here….

We get a data page which is the incident report that Orchis has filled over this prison transport break out.

It’s Albert who pops his claws. The guard tells us that Elsie Dee was not deemed controllable so she was scrapped( sad emoji).

Even sadder is that Albert attacks them and impales Warren. Reinforcements arrive and things don’t look good. Then Azazel bamfs in(I forgot he also bamfs, poor Kurt). The Dark X-men has arrived. We get Maddie, Alex, Azazel, Emplate and Kenji. Carmen asks Remy if they are on their side and he responds “Dat’s complicated chére”. Chere might not be the right word to use according to google I did but at least it’s the right gender.
    We get some nice banter between Remy and Alex. Carmen is worried about Warren because he’s not breathing but Maggot calms her down saying that Warren has an healing factor.

There is a difference here in that Azazel, Maddie, Kenji and Emplate are killing Orchis guards while the others are not. Maddie even has a car eating up a guard. Alex doesn’t approve of this but then he gets Alberts claws through his throat and that sends Maddie over the edge. She scraps Albert and ignite some guards and then orders Azrael to teleport them back. Remy sees an opportunity and asks for them to piggy back. Before they are teleported away Maggot notices that they are not teleporting Warren, which he of course wants them to do.

So we end with Orchis delivering the body of Warren to some higher ups. The cliff hanger is the reveal of a prisoner they have. I don't’ know her but she looks like a darkchylde version of Maddie.

The second part is a prequel that shows us Alex doing administrative work with allowing people to take shelter at the embassy. It’s a cavalcade of mutants with a checked past visiting with the highlight being the mastermind sisters who don’t want shelter, they are just there for tea with Maddie.

We then get into the dynamic of Alex and Maddie with the angle that Maddie knows that Alexs wants approval&purpose and she is using him in that regard.

We also get a scene with Chasm where Ben rightfully admonishes Maddie for letting Jean fix her but not offering the same solution for him and Peter. Well Dark Web was a mess for Ben and Peter and Chasm is better not touched and retconned as fast as you can say: Nick Lowe!

Overall the issue is sort of a mixed bag. Scharf’s art is beautiful and I love me some good use of shadows. On the other hand it’s too decompressed. The action scenes would do with one or two more panels just to see such a varied cast in action. I wanted more from Warren and Maggot, Warren especially since he is taken out so early.

If you remove the second part and compress the first part a bit I wouldn’t be surprised if Foxe and Scharf could fit in issue 1 & 2 in this issue.

The second part is mostly humor and a chance to show some different mutants that we don't get to see that often. I sort of like it but since the first part was over rather quickly it sadly makes you wish that some of these pages would have been used to add to the first part. Which is unfair towards the second part.

I don’t know how others feel but I had too much Alex and Maddie in this issue. I want more team and less focus on them. Especially the first pages did very little for me, which of course was a bit bogged down in recapping that FoX is under way.
    Especially I wanted more Warren, Maggot, Gambit and Gimmick. That is a fun team and I really love the potential there and I want more from Maggot. Scharf draws a cool Maggot!

Overall there is nothing wrong with the writing, I would say it’s Foxe’s best so far. The art is really good from Scharf and good but goofy from Nelson Daniel. It just read a bit to fast.
    I felt that Children of the Vault last week was stronger. Perhaps I will give this one a:

7,5/10. A setup issue.
    Last edited by Malachi; 08-16-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Thought this was a blast and my favorite read from the week. Just a lot of fun. Seeing Maggot in action with Gambit and Archangel was special, it brought me back to the 90s in the best way. And the art is so good.

Welcome back, Infectia, Martinique, Regan, Fatale and ESPECIALLY Phantazia!

Two more pictures that I couldn't include due to the 3 pictures rule.

The cliffhanger last page:

A page from the second part:

I'm torn over whether to pick this up or not. It looks more intriguing than I expected and I like a good chunk of the cast, but I hate the Alex/Maddie relationship and I think that might just put me off the whole thing.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    I'm torn over whether to pick this up or not. It looks more intriguing than I expected and I like a good chunk of the cast, but I hate the Alex/Maddie relationship and I think that might just put me off the whole thing.
    If you have checked out the preview pages they represents much of the Maddie&Alex from the first story. The second story is another matter but you can consider that a bonus.

It looks really good. I'm very interested in reading this. Thanks for the review.
    ("chère" is incorrect in french, but it's french cajun so I guess it's ok)

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post

Ooooh that's the Goblin Queen (and Dragoncrawler) from that mutliverse series they did a while back. Didn't see that one coming !

Astonishing Member

Can you post the Chasm bit?

Extraordinary Member

Buddy's dad, while not being shown much, is supposed to be a good single father and very understanding. I am not sure why the writer felt the need to make him report his daughter's girlfriend who he would know as well as Benny. The problem with these X-books is the writers just default to 'human who hates mutants' as the easy explanation for everything.

Is there any explanation or hint as to why they leave Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Ooooh that's the Goblin Queen (and Dragoncrawler) from that mutliverse series they did a while back. Didn't see that one coming !
    Dragoncrawler was on a cover so I guess this scene kind of sheds some light on why.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Thought this was a blast and my favorite read from the week. Just a lot of fun. Seeing Maggot in action with Gambit and Archangel was special, it brought me back to the 90s in the best way. And the art is so good.

Welcome back, Infectia, Martinique, Regan, Fatale and ESPECIALLY Phantazia!
    Don't forget about Reaper!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Incredible Member

Well... crap. Alex was one of the main reasons I was interested in getting this mini. I mean, yeah, once the Fall is resolved, I am sure the Five will bring him back, but I was interested in a Havok story.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Buddy's dad, while not being shown much, is supposed to be a good single father and very understanding. I am not sure why the writer felt the need to make him report his daughter's girlfriend who he would know as well as Benny. The problem with these X-books is the writers just default to 'human who hates mutants' as the easy explanation for everything.

Is there any explanation or hint as to why they leave Warren?

Dragoncrawler was on a cover so I guess this scene kind of sheds some light on why.
    He was not in a good state in this issue, apperaing very nervous with stuttering and shaking. It was also highly possible that the troops harmed Buddy when they went after Carmen because they shouted that she was reaching for a gun and attacked. Perhaps we will get some follow up on this later on if Carmen meets up with Buddy again.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Well... crap. Alex was one of the main reasons I was interested in getting this mini. I mean, yeah, once the Fall is resolved, I am sure the Five will bring him back, but I was interested in a Havok story.
    He was alive when they teleported, hanging on Maddie but on his own two legs. Bleeding badly though.
    Last edited by Malachi; 08-16-2023 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Can you post the Chasm bit?
    Of course. It's one page.

Astonishing Member

Of course. It's one page.

Thanks a lot