Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Good issue, but it still requires the heroes to act dumb just so the plot can move forward.

First, Archangel gets stabbed by a robo-wolverine when he has never really gotten wounded by Wolverine in the past. I will accept it as complete surprise, but it again goes into the idea that writers will let characters get sliced only if they won't die from it (ie. have healing powers, or are robots).
    Then, Havok again getting stabbed by a robo-wolverine despite everyone knowing the risk.
    And then, the team leaving behind Archangel, with Gambit not even caring about it despite pointing out the Archangel is lying on the ground healing.

Overall, I like this book and think it fits in very well with the Fall of X. I am enjoying the characterizations, and especially like how Maggot is a kind of callback to Operation Zero Tolerance. But the way that some of the chess pieces have been moved just so Archangel can be inside Orchis or Havok is even more beholden to Maddie, seem very crude.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    I'm torn over whether to pick this up or not. It looks more intriguing than I expected and I like a good chunk of the cast, but I hate the Alex/Maddie relationship and I think that might just put me off the whole thing.
    You might need to skip it then because I recall Foxe stating that TPTB came to him to write a Maddy/Alex project. I however love Alex and Maddy since the Outback era so I am here for it and hoping Alex's (and Warren's) wombs aren't so bad that they sideline them for this series because besides Maddy, Alex and Warren were the two characters I was most excited about being on the team.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    When I read the comic my first thought was that that Warren was left behind on purpose because Maddy or Azazel didn't like him or want him around for some reason. I can't picture leaving a teammate behind that you cared about to get captured by Orchis because you wouldn't want the bad guys to be able to interogate Warren or force information out of him as to where your group is operating out of.

Or it really is a plot hole, which is funny that it would appear in a comic that called out the Dark Web plot hole involving Ben Reilly.

Wasn't bitter about Warren being left behind since I first thought it was likely that he would die in issue 1 since around April. I think that Orchis or the second Maddy uses Warren as brain washed enemy against the team.

I would give the first issue a seven or eight out of ten. It was enjoyable, but it felt a little rushed to me. I didn't particularly care for the second story

I liked the little bit of Gambit that we saw in the comic. Also liked Gizmo.

I still don't care for Azazel.

Havok may need to find a new girl friend if Maddy ends up being revealed to only be using him. I hope that's not the case.
    With his healing factor I think its a fake out. That he is pretending to be hurt worse then he is and before the Dark Xmen ever showed up they planned to leave him behind. Get a man behind enemies lines to attack from within. Or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Good issue, but it still requires the heroes to act dumb just so the plot can move forward.

First, Archangel gets stabbed by a robo-wolverine when he has never really gotten wounded by Wolverine in the past. I will accept it as complete surprise, but it again goes into the idea that writers will let characters get sliced only if they won't die from it (ie. have healing powers, or are robots).
    Then, Havok again getting stabbed by a robo-wolverine despite everyone knowing the risk.
    And then, the team leaving behind Archangel, with Gambit not even caring about it despite pointing out the Archangel is lying on the ground healing.

Overall, I like this book and think it fits in very well with the Fall of X. I am enjoying the characterizations, and especially like how Maggot is a kind of callback to Operation Zero Tolerance. But the way that some of the chess pieces have been moved just so Archangel can be inside Orchis or Havok is even more beholden to Maddie, seem very crude.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    With his healing factor I think its a fake out. That he is pretending to be hurt worse then he is and before the Dark Xmen ever showed up they planned to leave him behind. Get a man behind enemies lines to attack from within. Or something along those lines.
    Yes leaving him behind and Maggot pointing it out sticks out as a sore thumb. Considering Gambit is involved I wouldn't be suprised if it's an ploy. It's in his name after all: Take a loss to get an advantage.

Gambit has been very inconsistent in intelligence. To be a master thief and make gambits as he does you can't be too dumb. He's not the smartest X-man by a wide margin but he's probably above normal intelligence by a bit. Warren strikes me as a intelligent character the same way. You cannot do what he does and be dumb. So I hope Foxe are playing with these aspects of their character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yes leaving him behind and Maggot pointing it out sticks out as a sore thumb. Considering Gambit is involved I wouldn't be suprised if it's an ploy. It's in his name after all: Take a loss to get an advantage.

Gambit has been very inconsistent in intelligence. To be a master thief and make gambits as he does you can't be too dumb. He's not the smartest X-man by a wide margin but he's probably above normal intelligence by a bit. Warren strikes me as a intelligent character the same way. You cannot do what he does and be dumb. So I hope Foxe are playing with these aspects of their character.
    Agreed, as a gambit by Gambit, it could make sense that Archangel purposefully allowed himself to get injured and captured as well as the rest of the X-men team being indifferent to Archangel just lying there on the ground.

They would have to presume, though, that Archangel could stand up to whatever torture Orchis has cooked up. If Apocalypse's torture can break him, then Orchis might be able to break him too.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Yeah, I've always seen Gambit as being smarter than he lets on. He has his blind spots, but he's not some airhead like some writers portray
    Make Good Art

Pretty fun issue. Although I don't know if you would feel the same if you are a big Havok fan. He was a bit sad this issue and I found his enabling Madelyne's behavior kind of disturbing. Nothing new in that dynamic between them though. Thankfully as a Gambit fan I was happy. He was great this issue, and I liked that some of the characters were looking to him for leadership. I like that Madelyne is still slightly unhinged and I liked the odd collection of obscure and strange mutants, even though I still don't like the inclusion of Azazel. I am really trying to keep an open mind, but he(Azazel) ruined the mood a tiny bit for me every time he appeared. Oh well.

Also, the art was fantastic(at least for regular part of the issue by Scharf). Atmospheric and just really well done. Fit the tone for the series perfectly. I am so glad that we got Scharf for this series. Best of the artists for the Fall of X minis IMO.

[U][/I]
    Loved this intro for Gambit! One of the coolest Gambit pages I have ever seen honestly. I wouldn't mind his introduction to the MCU being something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Seeing Maggot in action with Gambit and Archangel was special, it brought me back to the 90s in the best way.
    Yes! I loved that too. I always really wanted Gambit and Maggot to interact too!

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Well... crap. Alex was one of the main reasons I was interested in getting this mini. I mean, yeah, once the Fall is resolved, I am sure the Five will bring him back, but I was interested in a Havok story.
    Like others, I am sure he is going to survive this even though he really shouldn't what with getting stabbed right thru the throat and all. I was actually surprised they didn't bring Angel after the way Havok was stabbed since I thought they could use his healing blood. Is that still a thing by the way? Not that I would mind if it wasn't. I always thought it was kind of goofy and was never a fan of secondary mutations. I'm guessing it will just be generic healing through magic by Madelyne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm not pleased about Elsie Dee being scrapped but onwards we go.
    Yeah, that bummed me out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm all in on this series and I'm looking forward to interactions between Gambit and Gimmick.
    Super same!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Also… gambit with a beard is worse than Nightcrawler with a beard…
    Thank you! I thought I was the only one that is not a fan of the beard. I honestly just don't like beards or facial hair(beyond scruff) on characters in general though.

Yeaah! I've also had vibes that Gambit and his team are infiltrating somehow.
    But I don't quite know why in Maddi's team, but we'll see. So far it's got my attention.

And Remy's entrance.... Top! ( and I'm team beard, they are my weakness lol)

Not a big fan of the fact that to show a powerful woman you have to put a "weak" partner next to her. ( it is not feminist as some authors seem to think, but well... )

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    Yeaah! I've also had vibes that Gambit and his team are infiltrating somehow.
    But I don't quite know why in Maddi's team, but we'll see. So far it's got my attention.

And Remy's entrance.... Top! ( and I'm team beard, they are my weakness lol)

Not a big fan of the fact that to show a powerful woman you have to put a "weak" partner next to her. ( it is not feminist as some authors seem to think, but well... )
    I have to agree I am tired of the diminished Alex and the damaged Maddy storylines, I am hoping the purpose of this limited series is to lead to a kick butt ongoing but also to restore Alex, Maddy and Warren to fully detailed fleshed out and functioning characters. I am hoping for a more healthy dynamic between Alex and Maddy going forward. I loved it in the Outback, it wasn't toxic as some might characterize it, they just came together during desperate times. I want just as capable a leader as his brother, Scott but with a different way of doing it Alex and a Maddy that isn't deranged or obsessed with Scott/Jean or past wrongs. Hey maybe bring back Maddy's healing abilities from the Anodyne era, to fix Alex up. That would be a callback.

I'm actually surprised how few characters died in this issue. Foxe was hinting at a true massacre, but only Warren seemed to die, and he's obviously coming back.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Of course. It's one page.

Good to see Ben telling Maddie like it is. I have a feeling he is going to end up joining the Dark X-Men though. I don't know why.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Good to see Ben telling Maddie like it is. I have a feeling he is going to end up joining the Dark X-Men though. I don't know why.
    Chekov's gun or a waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Chekov's gun or a waste of space.
    Hopefully the former and not the latter. Then Ben can leverage his aid to the Dark X-Men for freedom.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Hopefully the former and not the latter. Then Ben can leverage his aid to the Dark X-Men for freedom.
    I think that's what going to happen so Wells can get his claws in him again

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I think that's what going to happen so Wells can get his claws in him again
    Wells needs to stay far away from Ben.