Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Uncanny Avengers #1 Recap\Review

Taking my shot at it! Be nice, everybody!!

Scene: a spooky unlit warehouse. Modok and Stasis approach a pod. Someone strong is inside, someone who's been gone. The appeal to him that America has declined in his absence, that muties have made a country and are challenging human supremacy. He busts out, ready to join up. Stasis says he has just the suit--its Cap'n Krak, guys

Scene: Ben Urich is reading the bugle, headline "Mutant massacre." He exposits about the gala, the laced drugs, the gates being shut down, Orchis dropping mutants off on Arakko, Cap'n Krak. Says he can't believe that's cyclops, and that he'll keep digging with his inside guy as a source

Scene: Orchis filtration center. These r the preview pages: Kwannon and Monet go ham on orchis mooks. Go lethal girls, go! Then Rogers buts in. To stop them, Kwannon says, but Rogers goes: "Actually, I'm something of a fascist fighter myself." He's with Pietro and Deadpool. The girls decide to link up, but bail if he goes soft. First order of business is stake out Cap'n Krak in DC where he might bomb a rally

Scene: Rogue spies on Orchis goons with Binoculars, but they spot her. Says they need disguises. (that's all, folks. not a rogue-heavy issue, this)

Scene: Cap'n Krak, Blob and Wildside fly over Krakoa in the stolen Thunderbird jet. Fred and Wildside think that's Cyclops under the mask, and that revenge on humans makes sense. Krak jumps off and breaks into the pit to hire the Strucker twins. Says their dad was cool, and that they are awesome mutants. They r dumb and also think that's cyclops and join up

Scene: Rogers, Deadpool, Monet and Kwannon in street clothes go down the subway tunnel and into the X-Men meet up spot, Four Pipes Plaza. Cap exposits how solid a dude Deadpool is. They meet Emma, Ginger Ale-Stark, Kamala, ShadowKat and Rasputin IV. Raspy's the one to lead the upcoming raid on Nimrod, they say. Then Pietro buts in and says he found Krak near an atomic base. Very X-Men #1, this

Scene: Unity Squad vs Krak's New MLF on a military base. Rogue chastises Blob, but he counters that she's the one with Cap'n apple pie while the USA supports Orchis. Cool action bits, Deadpool gets his back blown out (this one's for me) and the two Cap'ns play tug-of-war with the shield. Rogers says that Krak's stronger that a regular dude. Then Krak breaks Roger's arm with a KRAK sound (see, told ya it was his name!)

Data page: boring Orchis op-ed on how mutants suck, Xavier's a peeping tom, and Orchis is all cuddly-wuddly. And hiring!

ps: a G.O.D.S. page about someone smuggling tesseracts in dead AU Eternals. Fun!
    ---
    Overall, Gerry showed me a great time. The narration drags, but I get the sense that a first time reader would be lost without it. Some page re-set up stuff from X-Men #25. But the mission statement of the team is clear, the plot paced well and the art is to die for! 4\5 KRAKS

pps: Strucker senior could be Krak, but he's just normally around, right? probs not. Red...Skull?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Taking my shot at it! Be nice, everybody!!

Scene: a spooky unlit warehouse. Modok and Stasis approach a pod. Someone strong is inside, someone who's been gone. The appeal to him that America has declined in his absence, that muties have made a country and are challenging human supremacy. He busts out, ready to join up. Stasis says he has just the suit--its Cap'n Krak, guys

Scene: Ben Urich is reading the bugle, headline "Mutant massacre." He exposits about the gala, the laced drugs, the gates being shut down, Orchis dropping mutants off on Arakko, Cap'n Krak. Says he can't believe that's cyclops, and that he'll keep digging with his inside guy as a source

Scene: Orchis filtration center. These r the preview pages: Kwannon and Monet go ham on orchis mooks. Go lethal girls, go! Then Rogers buts in. To stop them, Kwannon says, but Rogers goes: "Actually, I'm something of a fascist fighter myself." He's with Pietro and Deadpool. The girls decide to link up, but bail if he goes soft. First order of business is stake out Cap'n Krak in DC where he might bomb a rally

Scene: Rogue spies on Orchis goons with Binoculars, but they spot her. Says they need disguises. (that's all, folks. not a rogue-heavy issue, this)

Scene: Cap'n Krak, Blob and Wildside fly over Krakoa in the stolen Thunderbird jet. Fred and Wildside think that's Cyclops under the mask, and that revenge on humans makes sense. Krak jumps off and breaks into the pit to hire the Strucker twins. Says their dad was cool, and that they are awesome mutants. They r dumb and also think that's cyclops and join up

Scene: Rogers, Deadpool, Monet and Kwannon in street clothes go down the subway tunnel and into the X-Men meet up spot, Four Pipes Plaza. Cap exposits how solid a dude Deadpool is. They meet Emma, Ginger Ale-Stark, Kamala, ShadowKat and Rasputin IV. Raspy's the one to lead the upcoming raid on Nimrod, they say. Then Pietro buts in and says he found Krak near an atomic base. Very X-Men #1, this

Scene: Unity Squad vs Krak's New MLF on a military base. Rogue chastises Blob, but he counters that she's the one with Cap'n apple pie while the USA supports Orchis. Cool action bits, Deadpool gets his back blown out (this one's for me) and the two Cap'ns play tug-of-war with the shield. Rogers says that Krak's stronger that a regular dude. Then Krak breaks Roger's arm with a KRAK sound (see, told ya it was his name!)

Data page: boring Orchis op-ed on how mutants suck, Xavier's a peeping tom, and Orchis is all cuddly-wuddly. And hiring!

ps: a G.O.D.S. page about someone smuggling tesseracts in dead AU Eternals. Fun!
    ---
    Overall, Gerry showed me a great time. The narration drags, but I get the sense that a first time reader would be lost without it. Some page re-set up stuff from X-Men #25. But the mission statement of the team is clear, the plot paced well and the art is to die for! 4\5 KRAKS

pps: Strucker senior could be Krak, but he's just normally around, right? probs not. Red...Skull?
    I'm thinking it's Red Skull as well. The opening pages and the convo with the Strucker Twins convinced me. Plus, Red Skull was the constant villain in the first Uncanny Avengers.

It seems like this, X-Men, and Iron Man are all telling one-story.

Deadpool’s (and Quicksilver’s) reasoning for being on the team were a bit weak especially since both have ties to mutantkind that would have made for more solid explanations.

Overall issue was inoffensive and I’ll probably check it out again for Monet and Kwannon.

Thanks for the review. The set up for the issue was alright, I liked that Blob wasn't evil for the sake of it and how Steve understood Kwannon's and Monet's desire for revenge.

Wished we'd gotten a bit more Rogue of course, but Rogue did get to shine in the Gala issue so I'm content for now. Hopefully gets more focus next issue.

I was a bit worried about the "romance" showing up next issue, but I'm thinking it might be Andrea and Captain Krakoa instead of anyone we were speculating previously. Which is good, five issues to introduce a romance seems very iffy to me but for villains I don't mind more impulsive behavior.

Extraordinary Member

My new guess for Captain Krakoa is Stevil Rogers (Hydra Cap). Duggan left Deadpool's beef with him unresolved in his Despicable Deadpool run, so DP being on this roster could be for that reason.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    My new guess for Captain Krakoa is Stevil Rogers (Hydra Cap). Duggan left Deadpool's beef with him unresolved in his Despicable Deadpool run, so DP being on this roster could be for that reason.
    That was my first guess, too, based on Captain Krakoa's familiarity with/contempt for Cap's fighting style. And a good use of the character.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Krak is Weapon Omega. Calling it now.
    "Cable was right!"

Great recap, Alex! Four Pipes Plaza should be a real name.

This is who I think it is too. The way he countered Rogers and said, "Your attacks are so obvious and predictable...". That was when the light bulb went on for me.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

That guy is still around ? I think Marvel did everything to erase that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Great recap, Alex! Four Pipes Plaza should be a real name.
    Appreciate it, JB! High praise, coming from the master

Stevil! That would be dope. As would Weapon Omega, but i think he's off living with Mimic in the woods. Not exactly a patriotic fellow, either!

Sooo... the guy presently wearing the Krakoa Costume is NOT the guy we saw stealing it ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    That guy is still around ? I think Marvel did everything to erase that story.
    I think Selene 'killed' him but when has death, or stories some people are not fond of, ever stopped Marvel from bringing something back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Sooo... the guy presently wearing the Krakoa Costume is NOT the guy we saw stealing it ?
    same guy! implication is, Stasis gave him the idea and pointed him at the treehouse

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Appreciate it, JB! High praise, coming from the master

Stevil! That would be dope. As would Weapon Omega, but i think he's off living with Mimic in the woods. Not exactly a patriotic fellow, either!
    Weapon Omega was Canadian not American.
    I reckon for you guys’d busses that’s its Stevil. Giving him a new moniker as Captain Krakoa is a good use for him that im sure Marvel wouldn’t pass up.

I loved this issue, but the original Uncanny Avengers is one of my favorite runs so I'm biased. Loooooooooved Kwannon's role here.