Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Or maybe I was just too busy to post one at the time I created this thread?
    Quack quack quack, quickly Howard the Duck
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Definitely would prefer Pathway, although Pathway's got the potential game-changing power to just bamf the mutants they rescue to LiveWorld, her own personal paradise island pocket dimension, which is like taking refuge in Limbo, only *without all the demons.* (Still, a writer who didn't want to deal with that, could just say that Live World has been overrun with Mindless Ones or N'Garai or some other extradimensional invaders, and isn't safe to visit at the moment. It would basically take one sentence to take that 'send the mutant refugees to Live World' option off the table, and even create a potential storyline for later, when Laura Dean recruits some allies to kick the invaders out of her personal pocket paradise!)
    Liveworld is still being ruled by the Dreamqueen so it's unlikely their being taken there.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Maybe this was so lame that no one even bothers to write a summary?
    But it wasn’t
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Very good issue! I love the ending.. I didn’t think they’d actually do that..

I wish we’d get Alpha Flight Epic collections so I can have the old ones on my shelf…
    Especially the Lobdell run
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I hope Bochsie Jr gets treated better than his old man. I really hated the Mantlo character assassination. But this book I enjoyed. The twist was a really smart way to keep people guessing how the series is going go - you're set up to think the conflict is going to be yet another case of two teams having good intentions but just not communicating, but nah. Shot down, first issue. The art was good, but docking half a point for the lack of pointed ears on the Beaubier twins. Looking forward to the next one.
    I thought it was obvious enough that you could hardly call it a “twist”

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I didnt realize Brisson was gonna write this. I liked his past X-men work. The interior art is MUCH better than the cover art
    Agreed. I thought the art was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Alpha Flight was the Fall of X book I was looking forward to the least: even though I love AF, the concept didn't sound as strong as for the other books and the last X-work Brisson produced wasn't exactly amazing. Yet the execution completely sold me here, even after the fun last page reveal, I think this was very well-executed and paced, and with great art.

I can really see the benefit of doing 4 issue limited series, there's no time for decompression, the fat is cut right off and we get into the thick of things right away.
    This is a great callout. I’ve enjoyed every FoX book to at least some degree, which uh, never happens. Perhaps the format is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Is this giving anyone else an early X-Factor vibe? I mean the team that posed as mutant hunters but in reality they were saving and protecting mutants? This feels like a flip on that concept
    Couldn’t help but

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    This is a great callout. I’ve enjoyed every FoX book to at least some degree, which uh, never happens. Perhaps the format is helping.
    I think Fall of X are re-energized the entire creative team but I do think the format and the fact writers need to deliver (hopefully) a tight story also helped - compare the strong starts of Uncanny Avengers, Alpha Flight and Dark X-Men to the whimper, decompressed debuts of Way of X, Excalibur, etc. Different writers as well but I think the limited series format is beneficial in this case. Kinda like the mostly very strong Age of Apocalypse miniseries back in the day when writers had to come up with a full story which was also part of a larger tapestry and delivered in spades.

I think Fall of X are re-energized the entire creative team but I do think the format and the fact writers need to deliver (hopefully) a tight story also helped - compare the strong starts of Uncanny Avengers, Alpha Flight and Dark X-Men to the whimper, decompressed debuts of Way of X, Excalibur, etc. Different writers as well but I think the limited series format is beneficial in this case. Kinda like the mostly very strong Age of Apocalypse miniseries back in the day when writers had to come up with a full story which was also part of a larger tapestry and delivered in spades.
    I agree and I've always liked the idea of a handful of core X-Men books supported by various important minis. Sometimes minis can feel very disconnected and unnecessary but so far all of the Fall of X books imo have great connective tissue while standing on their own. The writers seem really inspired and it's nice to know nothing will drag on because by January everything changes again.

Alpha Flight #1 was a nice surprise and we still have 4 more new minis to debut!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

X-Men Monday Call for Questions: Ed Brisson for ‘Alpha Flight’
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/18/x-...-alpha-flight/

Deadline: Sunday, August 20 @ 5 PM EST
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I liked it and I thought the art was great. I didn't read much of OG Alpha Flight so I don't have a deep connection to the characters, but it's a good issue.
    I thought it was okay. I liked the swerve at the end. Enjoyed Puck's banter with Daken as they fake fought.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Incredible Member

Alpha Flight, in my own for-whatever-it's-worth opinion, is one of those books/concepts that would work great in short bursts versus a regular open-ended series (as much as Marvel/DC do regular, open-ended any more). Kinda like what DC is looking to do with Doom Patrol. Yearly (-ish) mini-series, say 4 to 6 issues, of a storyline. Like, 2024 sees the 5-issue "Alpha Flight: Revenge of the Poutine" or whatever. Then, follow up the next year. Maybe not an audience for a regular book, but they can get people excited for a brief, focused run.

Although, really, I think they should do that for basically every character/team.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Quack quack quack, quickly Howard the Duck
    Are you ok?

Oh, yeah! I’m in for most of these books.