Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Slight problem there. If was by marriage, Kid Quick's name wouldn't be Jess CHAMBERS, they wouldn't have the same name as their aunt. They'd be called something like Tyler (which is Jesse's Earth-0 husband Rick/Hourman's surname). So, Earth-11 Jesse must have a brother who doesn't exist on Earth-0.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Slight problem there. If was by marriage, Kid Quick's name wouldn't be Jess CHAMBERS, they wouldn't have the same name as their aunt. They'd be called something like Tyler (which is Jesse's Earth-0 husband Rick/Hourman's surname). So, Earth-11 Jesse must have a brother who doesn't exist on Earth-0.
    In the world that every gender is reverse, they might as well take the name of the mother instead of the father too. who knows.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jesse Quick is that universe's Barry Allen and Jess Quick is that universe's Wallace West. Simple as that. It's an aunt situation just like the mainline version is an uncle situation. But names are likely matriarchally passed down on Earth 11.
    Last edited by Dred; 08-22-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    She can, by marriage. Barry is also an only child (if you discount Malcolm Thawne)
    But Rick Tyler Hourman, Jesse’s husband in Earth 0, is also an only child.

SIGN ME UP FOR THIS BOOK! I was never a fan of Wallace. Hated how Williamson wrote him. Always mad at Barry and moody (much like Williamsons Barry)...but Adams took him over and now I find Ace very likable. He and Avery together should be fun. Maybe Barry will pop up here. Otherwise probably when they relaunch JLA. Wally, Max and Bart (and twins) in Spurrier book, Ace and Avery in Speed Force, Jay and Judy in Adams Flash mini., Wally in Waids Teen Titans ...good times for this Flash fan! The more the better. If Barry ends up in JLA things will be perfect.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    SIGN ME UP FOR THIS BOOK! I was never a fan of Wallace. Hated how Williamson wrote him. Always mad at Barry and moody (much like Williamsons Barry)...but Adams took him over and now I find Ace very likable. He and Avery together should be fun. Maybe Barry will pop up here. Otherwise probably when they relaunch JLA. Wally, Max and Bart (and twins) in Spurrier book, Ace and Avery in Speed Force, Jay and Judy in Adams Flash mini., Wally in Waids Teen Titans ...good times for this Flash fan! The more the better. If Barry ends up in JLA things will be perfect.
    I feel like Adams just built on Wallace's good points from Williamson's run but that's just me .

Astonishing Member

The only characterization Williamson ever gave Wallace was his disgruntlement with authority figures that carried over from his New 52/DCYou era. Which was justified by him constantly being lied to. Considering no one was lying to him in Adams' run there was nothing Williamson ever did to build off of, really.

Williamson seeded a potentially interesting character bit where Wallace struggles with the concept that he did not exist before Barry altered the history of the universe in Flashpoint and, well, that was another thing that made him angry at Barry but that little plotline was never picked up. Adams wasn't interested in touching on family drama since that's all the title was for Williamson's tenure.

I doubt that's what we're going to get with the mini but, to this point, it's the only thing specifically about Wallace a find as an interesting character wrinkle I wish someone would explore. Astro City did a similar story of a man struggling with his loved one being erased from history by superhero shenanigans which was great and this could be the flip side of that concept. At least that's what I would work on with Wallace.
    Last edited by Dred; 08-22-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The only characterization Williamson ever gave Wallace was his disgruntlement with authority figures that carried over from his New 52/DCYou era. Which was justified by him constantly being lied to. Considering no one was lying to him in Adams' run there was nothing Williamson ever did to build off of, really.

Williamson seeded a potentially interesting character bit where Wallace struggles with the concept that he did not exist before Barry altered the history of the universe in Flashpoint and, well, that was another thing that made him angry at Barry but that little plotline was never picked up. Adams wasn't interested in touching on family drama since that's all the title was for Williamson's tenure.

I doubt that's what we're going to get with the mini but, to this point, it's the only thing specifically about Wallace a find as an interesting character wrinkle I wish someone would explore. Astro City did a similar story of a man struggling with his loved one being erased from history by superhero shenanigans which was great and this could be the flip side of that concept. At least that's what I would work on with Wallace.
    I don't think that's entirely true.

Williamson' Wallace was a kid with a good heart, cared about his family and about helping others, but had a chip on his shoulder because of the things with his dad and that impacted his relationship with Barry a lot across the entire run but he still loved being a hero.

Astonishing Member

I don't see any of that in the writing of the character. I mean yes, "good heart" "helps people" but that's every hero.

I don't see any of that in the writing of the character. I mean yes, "good heart" "helps people" but that's every hero.
    Yeah, but the way it was expressed and portrayed in his character, despite his hangups, felt unique to him in my opinion.

BANNED

I would argue that Ace is a bit more of a troublemaker and a rebel compared to the rest of the Flash family. Nothing over-the-top, but he was a juvenile delinquent with a criminal father, so I imagine he'd be a little less straight-laced and cop-like than Barry and Wally. I feel like he has a pretty different perspective than the rest. I'm not saying thats been especially well developed, but I see there being potential in him being a little less square than the other speedsters. He's like a less violent Jason Todd, in a sense.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Writers could have more fun with, Ace, if they would remember his mechanical background as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I would argue that Ace is a bit more of a troublemaker and a rebel compared to the rest of the Flash family. Nothing over-the-top, but he was a juvenile delinquent with a criminal father, so I imagine he'd be a little less straight-laced and cop-like than Barry and Wally. I feel like he has a pretty different perspective than the rest. I'm not saying thats been especially well developed, but I see there being potential in him being a little less square than the other speedsters. He's like a less violent Jason Todd, in a sense.
    None of these things would be things established by Williamson.

None of these things would be things established by Williamson.
    I think he arguably developed them (not that he mentioned the whole delinquent thing because they were trying to avoid the racial implications, probably).

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    he was a juvenile delinquent with a criminal father
    Yeah, that origin needs to be retconned out fast. "Here's the one black character in the franchise. To attest to his blackness, we included a criminal record, store robberies, am absent and criminal father and the always classic GRAFFITI".

That is probably one of 2 or 3 comics that made me actually angry.

All that said, I'm not against Ace having a more rebellious demeanor, a sense of challenging authority. It's a good take. But we do have to move past that specific origin, because JESUS!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!