Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yeah, that origin needs to be retconned out fast. "Here's the one black character in the franchise. To attest to his blackness, we included a criminal record, store robberies, am absent and criminal father and the always classic GRAFFITI".

That is probably one of 2 or 3 comics that made me actually angry.

All that said, I'm not against Ace having a more rebellious demeanor, a sense of challenging authority. It's a good take. But we do have to move past that specific origin, because JESUS!
    Agreed. Same thing with Tim over in the Titans live action...you take these original white characters, turn them black and essentially give them stereotypical black origins.

Wally came from a fairly happy family so Wallace got the "criminal father. juvenile delinquent"

Tim came from a rich family and in Titans they had him come from a poor family.

Yeah, Tim wasn't a faithful adaptation at all. Except for the costume.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Yeah, that origin needs to be retconned out fast. "Here's the one black character in the franchise. To attest to his blackness, we included a criminal record, store robberies, am absent and criminal father and the always classic GRAFFITI".

All that said, I'm not against Ace having a more rebellious demeanor, a sense of challenging authority. It's a good take. But we do have to move past that specific origin, because JESUS!
    Whats the other comic that got you really angry

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Tim wasn't a faithful adaptation at all. Except for the costume.
    The costuming for Titans was soild

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Agreed. Same thing with Tim over in the Titans live action...you take these original white characters, turn them black and essentially give them stereotypical black origins.

Wally came from a fairly happy family so Wallace got the "criminal father. juvenile delinquent"

Tim came from a rich family and in Titans they had him come from a poor family.
    Born to Run retconned away Wally coming from a happy family. It's fairly important to his modern backstory that he is estranged from his parents because, well, they were awful parents and Wally knew it. He took all his queues on being a good person from Iris and Barry.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

A good sign for the Flash family overall, but these are probably the members I'm least interested in, in an increasingly bloated cast of very powerful speedsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    A good sign for the Flash family overall, but these are probably the members I'm least interested in, in an increasingly bloated cast of very powerful speedsters.
    Maybe some day they'll revive that Jesse mini...

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Whats the other comic that got you really angry
    Not really angry, just angry. But I remember as a child really disliking how a-hollish and stupid Byrne's Superman was. And on a side note, it didn't get an actual reaction of of me, but Flash Rebirth really took it's shots at the people who bought Flash back then. I don't think I've seen DC try that hard to say "your fave just sucks" anywhere else.

But nothing beats Ace's origin. It managed me to irritate me as a Wally West fan, yes, but as a black person I was just dumbfounded. (Not) ironically, the only post ever in this forum that ever got me angry was also about Ace, with some old poster pretending to be all progressive while being openly but condescendingly racist.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 08-28-2023 at 07:38 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe some day they'll revive that Jesse mini...
    Hopefully. If there are two things Jesse needs are a pair of pants and some love.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Hopefully. If there are two things Jesse needs are a pair of pants and some love.
    We can at least agree on one of those .

On the contrary, Jesse's the only one who's got it right. How many runners run in long pants? All speedsters should be bare-legged, if you want to talk about practical outfits...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    On the contrary, Jesse's the only one who's got it right. How many runners run in long pants? All speedsters should be bare-legged, if you want to talk about practical outfits...
    Are you sure about that?

malcolm.jpg

^^ I don't know -- they look like they might be speed walking, which is an affront to the speed force. (and the eyes)

Holy crap, I can't decide if those helmets owe more to Giger's design for Alien or one of the alien slave girls in Jabba the Hut's palace. What ARE those things?

BANNED

That's fair. I guess the racial connotations probably aren't great there. I was more just saying that having a slightly less clean-cut, cop-type member of the Flash family might be refreshing and unique, but Ace's origin wasn't well thought out. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you there.