Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Forgotten realms Baldur’s gate vs MCU Earth

That’s right.

Choose your place to live!

Want to tussle with random city dangers from various villains? Or want to live in a world with giant spiders, ghosts, devils, demons and various horrors.

To not make it a curbstomp, you must stay 1 year in the mcu new york area or 2 weeks in the forgotten realms, where are you most likely to die in?

As long as it’s not the same year as ‘The Snap’, I’m taking MCU any day.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I definitely can't afford to live in NYC, so this is basically one year of being homeless in America vs two weeks in FR. I'm *probably* not going to encounter a demon or a dragon during two weeks in FR, though I am absolutely going to go devote myself to one of the nicer gods just incase I do die. So as far as just surviving goes, I'll go with FR.

If I have to stay permanently... look I lived in Vancouver (by which I obviously mean one of the satellite areas you can actually afford to live in) for a little while, and that's like little baby NYC, and THAT made me actually want to die, so I am absolutely not going to any version of NYC in any setting. In FR at least I can find Drizzt Do'Urden and tell him his 3.5 build was embarrassingly bad. And maybe I can leverage germ theory for some pull with some supernatural entity, I dunno.

I'm also like at least 50% sure I could charm a dragon
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

If Balder's Gate is based on D&D stats, then its numbers aren't going to be prepared for a high level Final Fantasy character rolling up and going nuts on the local monster population.

That said MCU has people with more cinematic feats, so to speak, o people would probably cut me less slack on saying my Game Mechanics are superior. I'll still say it though.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

one perk FR has is i think you can actually learn magic i guess? though that probably takes a very long time.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    one perk FR has is i think you can actually learn magic i guess? though that probably takes a very long time.
    If it's D&D, you better be ridiculously smart if you want the good stuff.

(Well OK, that's 3.5, I guess. Are stat minimums to cast still a thing in 5th ed?)
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    If it's D&D, you better be ridiculously smart if you want the good stuff.

(Well OK, that's 3.5, I guess. Are stat minimums to cast still a thing in 5th ed?)
    I think you just need to be above average smartness (int 10) but again, you either need to have studied for a **** ton or just be naturally gifted, so at the very very best you might be able to throw a firebolt and some fancy light sparkles. but it'll take longer then the 2 weeks you get

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

That’s right.

Want to tussle with random city dangers from various villains? Or want to live in a world with giant spiders, ghosts, devils, demons and various horrors.

To not make it a curbstomp, you must stay 1 year in the mcu new york area or 2 weeks in the forgotten realms, where are you most likely to die in?
    Most likely to die in? Forgotten Realms, no question.

Where I'd want to go to live? Also Forgotten Realms, no question.

See, while it's far more likely that I'd die in the Forgotten Realms, it's also far, far, far more likely for me to stumble into something that could allow me to actually somewhat deal with the dangers of the Forgotten Realms.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

All-New Member

Depending on where you're "sent" in the Forgotten Realms, you would be pretty safe. It's just two weeks. Yes, if you had to spend two years in a rural village, maybe you might wind up caught in an orc raid or something, but plenty of people just lead uninteresting (relatively speaking), full lives in places like that.

Spectacular Member

That’s right.

Definitely Forgotten Realms. There are lots of friendly good deities, and depending on where I wind up I could get a job in a city or villiage doing something productive. A week? no big deal. I'm just going into the dungeons. Heck, I might apprentice myself to one of the good deities and become cleric in training. Training in a temple of Sune sounds like a fun couple of weeks...!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Yeah, two weeks in Forgotten Realms = me hiding in an inn in a big city or small town. People DO live in these places - if two weeks in a town were enough for me to get murdered, there wouldn't be any commoners left.

Sounds fairly safe.

Not going to learn any magic in that time, mind. Though if I could, would be nice to learn 'Cantrip'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I’d probably visit the pleasure houses

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 took place over two years in universe, and then there's over a century gap till Baldur's Gate 3, so yeah really bad stuff happens but the incredibly major stuff isn't exactly happening every day, honestly the every day kind of danger is going to be the mundane variety any city of the setting would have with anything especially major requiring going out adventuring

But Baldur’s Gate is basically the Gotham of the Forgotten Realms. You’re likely to get stabbed for a coin-purse just because you’re on the street.
    Chief Curmudgeon

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    But Baldur’s Gate is basically the Gotham of the Forgotten Realms. You’re likely to get stabbed for a coin-purse just because you’re on the street.
    The idea is amusing, but I expect the vast majority of Gothamites and Baldur's Gate residents manage to get through two weeks without getting stabbed. The population would be rather low were this not the case. ^_^

...of course, this might explain what actually happened in No Man's Land.

Still going with Baldur's Gate. Seems safer than a full year in the MCU and there's a small chance of me coming out of it with some kind of magical doo-dad.

Alternately, I have the IDGG.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate