Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Oh shut up. LOL jackass
    my dude! lmao

Don't shoot the messenger--I like the nuhumans plenty >_> Flint, Naja, Reader and Frank McGee had JUICE

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yeah, the downplaying of the X-Men and Fantastic Four was a very special case that doesn't apply here.

Also to some extent the Avengers already have been downplayed. Marvel launched a huge revamped X-book line a few years ago while mostly restricting the Avengers to a single team, a far cry from the zillions of Avengers-related titles of a decade ago.

I would expect to see this continue, because the X-Men are usually (not always) bigger sellers than the Avengers and more capable of sustaining a lot of spinoffs. But that will probably happen even when the next Avengers movies come out, just like Infinity War/Endgame didn't lead to anything like the early 2010s Avengers push in the comics.
    I mean when Aaron was doing his nonsense, Marvel tried other books like Savage and West Coast. They were just bad. We also just had those Greg Land mini-series with Spider-Man on the team.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Do we serious need to create another stupid 'Avengers vs X-Men' thread again!?
    Why would the OP have that intention??
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Why would the OP have that intention??
    That may not be their intention but that's the kind of direction these threads tend to go in.

Fantastic Member

Even when the X-Men were being "downplayed", they still had more monthly books than the Avengers.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Yeah. The X-Men have enough material to put out 5 books or more a month. For the Avengers, more than 3 team books is pushing it.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Yeah. The X-Men have enough material to put out 5 books or more a month. For the Avengers, more than 3 team books is pushing it.
    Part of that is A: MOAR SENTINELS!.... but also B: simply having more characters.

Seriously, the X-men have so many backup teams now they could use a different 7-Mutant team every month. They have more characters languishing in obscurity than have ever been Avengers.

Not at all. Because there is no rights conflict with them. And the downplaying of the X-Men was only really in merch and video games.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Yeah, well, the Ultimate line was born to be sell to the Hollywood studios as viable stories. The Ultimates and the New Avengers line were way to reiforce the characters which rigths were still under marvel control to obtain investors for their movies. They wanted to show the characters could be successful in the screen but first they had to make them successful on the pages first.
    Actually, no. That's just a misconception that happens when we look things back. The Ultimate line made comics that felt like movies, yes, but only trying to expand the genre's horizons. Let Mark Millar explain it himself

My first book at Marvel was a reboot of the X-Men and it launched at number 1 so they asked me what I wanted to do next. I said I wanted to reboot The Avengers and they winced because the X-Men and Spider-Man titles were their biggest sellers at the time. The Avengers family of characters, they told me, were a waste of my time and they asked me to do a Wolverine book instead. But I was really passionate about this. It was a real labour of love and I had the perfect artist in Bryan Hitch to give this book a very realistic feel that tied together all the characters in a much more natural way I felt mainstream audiences would get.

Marvel at this point had these characters scattered across different studios like New Line, Universal and one or two others so a movie was never in consideration. Their single purpose at the time was getting the comic-division back into the black as things had been quite rough for a couple of years. Anything that happened after is just because the material worked well for the mainstream and was described by readers as cinematic. Of course, we didn’t realise six or seven years later we were going to see all this start to come together as a movie. Marvel weren’t self-financing until 2008.
    Samuel L. Jackson had the perfect response to the writer who made his 'Avengers' role possible
    And let me add: we had the Ultimates, yes, but what else? Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil & Elektra, Fantastic Four... all of them had their cinematic rights in someone else's hands at the time.