Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why doesn't Peter Parker have a close relationship with Steve Rogers?

I have seen Peter go the distance for Cap and Steve treats Peter like a annoying fan boy who has no real emotional investment in him. How come the writers only focus on Peters personal admiration for Steve while the latter only sees a professional relationship?

Fantastic Member

I think it's more of an annoyance that Peter hasn't stepped up to lead the Hero community in the way that Steve knows he can. Steve probably see's him as a future leader of the Avengers and is probably getting tired of waiting for Peter to realize it. More often then not the younger heroes coming through now cite Spider-Man as the reason they donned the tights, Steve knows how inspirational Peter is to the Hero community and wants him to "step up". It's a little like how someone (I forget who) mentioned that Peter's IQ and grades in school were comparable to Reed Richards (when Reed was in school) but then, despite occasionally showing his brilliance, he never utilized his gifts the way Richards, Stark or Pym have.

Peter has the admiration and respect of the hero community and especially Steve Rogers, they're all just waiting for him to realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    I have seen Peter go the distance for Cap and Steve treats Peter like a annoying fan boy who has no real emotional investment in him. How come the writers only focus on Peters personal admiration for Steve while the latter only sees a professional relationship?
    I actually do think they have a good relationship but there are factors
    1. Is as mcgaffer says the others waiting for him to step up and realize how great and good he acutally is
    2. The second is harder, Steve's life is Captain America but Peter has always kept them separate what I think he needs to do is acknowledge that Spider-Man is him. Even now after everything it still seems to me that he wants the two sides separate, I don’t think he will ever step up until he realize that he doesn’t have to.
    Optiona solution l is to explore what would happen if he was actually unmasked again and see what would come from it but I don’t see this happened ever. So to answer the question Why doesn't Peter Parker have a close relationship with Steve Rogers because having that close a friendship with someone as well known would change the character too much from the status quo and not leave any drama and the writers and editors would never allow that.
    Truth is the best policy

Same reason Peter Parker should not have a super-model for a wife.

Who are Steve's close friends, outside of his supporting cast? Core Avengers, for the most part. They're the ones with whom he spends time and with whom he has a shared set of experiences. Peter has only been an Avenger for a relatively short time, and he hasn't been particularly active even when he has been a member.

It's all about the frequency of team-ups.

BANNED

I'm trying to imagine Peter hanging upside down in the rain, grabbing Steve by the head-wings, and kissing him but I just can't see it. Any artists on here bored enough to help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'm trying to imagine Peter hanging upside down in the rain, grabbing Steve by the head-wings, and kissing him but I just can't see it. Any artists on here bored enough to help me out?
    I was ready to post a sexual tension joke until I scrolled to your post, which is so much better. Well done, sir!

BANNED

A quick google search didn't help me, but I came across a picture from our site that will tide me over until my mystery artist shows up:

batspider.jpg

That's Batman, in case the picture's too small.

I think a lot of people want to see the other characters of the Marvel Universe treating Spidey as we treat him. To us, he's perhaps the most popular hero in the world.

The same can't be said for in-story.

-Pav, who would comment on this if/when he gets his shot at writing Spidey comics...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think a lot of people want to see the other characters of the Marvel Universe treating Spidey as we treat him. To us, he's perhaps the most popular hero in the world.

The same can't be said for in-story.

-Pav, who would comment on this if/when he gets his shot at writing Spidey comics...
    This is so, /so/ true.

Fantastic Member

If I was Spider man, I would always be in awe of cap, and go crack jokes with johnny storm.

Maybe its the wise cracking.

Mind you, I'm in no way trying to paint Spidey in a negative light -- I'm just trying to figure out what MIGHT cause Cap to treat him this way. Spidey does have a tendancy to carry around the seemingly indestructable sarcasm/quip/humor shield.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Peter has a closer relationship to the Fantastic Four which goes back farther than the Avengers anyway. He and the Torch are the same age and at times they just are a couple of goofballs but in a good-natured way. For as far back as I can remember, they've been meeting on top of the Statue of Liberty just to talk and keep in touch.

We don't see it very much but Reed is more of his mentor when Reed came to realize that the guy behind the mask had great potential to be an outstanding scientist. The OP should check out Hickman's issues when Peter was part of the Future Foundation. Johnny even had it in his will that he wanted Spidey to take his place if it came to that. See also several minis like Spider-Man and the Human Torch, or more recently Christos Gage's Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four. They were both fun series.

He was there for the Torch's return from the dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    I think it's more of an annoyance that Peter hasn't stepped up to lead the Hero community in the way that Steve knows he can. Steve probably see's him as a future leader of the Avengers and is probably getting tired of waiting for Peter to realize it. More often then not the younger heroes coming through now cite Spider-Man as the reason they donned the tights, Steve knows how inspirational Peter is to the Hero community and wants him to "step up". It's a little like how someone (I forget who) mentioned that Peter's IQ and grades in school were comparable to Reed Richards (when Reed was in school) but then, despite occasionally showing his brilliance, he never utilized his gifts the way Richards, Stark or Pym have.

Peter has the admiration and respect of the hero community and especially Steve Rogers, they're all just waiting for him to realize it.
    Interesting, has there been an issue where Steve talks to Peter about stepping up to the plate as far as his superhero life goes.

BANNED

Peter tried to be nice to Steve once and encouraged him to draw, but Steve decided to be a huge douche about it.