Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think a lot of people want to see the other characters of the Marvel Universe treating Spidey as we treat him. To us, he's perhaps the most popular hero in the world.

The same can't be said for in-story.

-Pav, who would comment on this if/when he gets his shot at writing Spidey comics...
    Wow, so true. Well put.

Astonishing Member

Kissing Steve Roger's tuckus is a Marvel tradition even the most popular hero at Marvel must kiss the ring

BANNED

Why would he have? Steve's a globe-trotting Captain, while Pete's a mainly NY-based vigilante. And even though they've rubbed shoulders, the sliding time-scale dictates that the two really wouldn't have a terribly close relationship anyhow. Besides, you don't want a forced friendship between the two like the nauseating forced relationship between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner that exists for NO !@#$%^&* GOOD REASON WHATSOEVER! (Science Bros...blegh).

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    Peter tried to be nice to Steve once and encouraged him to draw, but Steve decided to be a huge douche about it.
    He did apologize and talked about updating his art
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

I think a lot of people want to see the other characters of the Marvel Universe treating Spidey as we treat him. To us, he's perhaps the most popular hero in the world.

-Pav, who would comment on this if/when he gets his shot at writing Spidey comics...
    You my good sir have just posted what I want, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    This is so, /so/ true.
    I know it is isn’t it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Maybe its the wise cracking.

Mind you, I'm in no way trying to paint Spidey in a negative light -- I'm just trying to figure out what MIGHT cause Cap to treat him this way. Spidey does have a tendancy to carry around the seemingly indestructable sarcasm/quip/humor shield.
    But sometimes it can be useful and other times he can get serious, as another poster said its part of his charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Peter has a closer relationship to the Fantastic Four which goes back farther than the Avengers anyway. He and the Torch are the same age and at times they just are a couple of goofballs but in a good-natured way. For as far back as I can remember, they've been meeting on top of the Statue of Liberty just to talk and keep in touch.
    Not always been friends they were rivals for a time or has that been retconned.

We don't see it very much but Reed is more of his mentor when Reed came to realize that the guy behind the mask had great potential to be an outstanding scientist. The OP should check out Hickman's issues when Peter was part of the Future Foundation. Johnny even had it in his will that he wanted Spidey to take his place if it came to that. See also several minis like Spider-Man and the Human Torch, or more recently Christos Gage's Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four. They were both fun series.
    Damm too more things to add to my collection, my mother is going to kill me.

He was there for the Torch's return from the dead.

I have to smile at this,
    Torch: Yeah I’m not dead whats up
    Webs: End of the world you know
    Torch: Yeah Hold this

Out of curiosity where is this from, I don’t even remember seeing the uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Interesting, has there been an issue where Steve talks to Peter about stepping up to the plate as far as his superhero life goes.
    No but he did on at least 3 occasions pick him to be on the avengers so that’s maybe where it comes from, he also didn’t disagree with him in that issue of Avenging where Peter wanted him to be his partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    Peter tried to be nice to Steve once and encouraged him to draw, but Steve decided to be a huge douche about it.
    I think it’s a bit harsh to call him a douche in this instant, Steve explained that no longer needed it remember Steve was a weak kid who wanted to serve his country and this is how he survived by living through his drawings, he also spoke to Peter later about it if anything I would be more worried about how Peter was portrayed in that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Why would he have? Steve's a globe-trotting Captain, while Pete's a mainly NY-based vigilante. And even though they've rubbed shoulders, the sliding time-scale dictates that the two really wouldn't have a terribly close relationship anyhow. Besides, you don't want a forced friendship between the two like the nauseating forced relationship between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner that exists for NO !@#$%^&* GOOD REASON WHATSOEVER! (Science Bros...blegh).
    There is a reason it’s called the movies (lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    He did apologize and talked about updating his art
    I thought that was a nice scene.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 09-09-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Remove deleted post
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Wow, so true. Well put.
    Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    You my good sir have just posted what I want, thank you

I know it is isn’t it.
    Thanks for the kind words, guys! I've actually put quite a lot of thought into the characterization of Spidey in light of how popular he is in our world, and I think many a writer has succumbed to the pressures of treating him in-story how we think of him outside of the story "in the real world". Specifically, I think a lot of Ditko's influence on the character has been watered down somewhat, especially now in the days of comics being "properties" as much as they are stories. Paradoxically, I think this has weakened the characterization of Peter Parker and yet also made him much more popular than he'd likely have been otherwise.

Which presents us with a great lesson: if you want to be popular, be a watered-down version of yourself!

-Pav, who finally understands the pressure on D-List celebrities...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Yep.

There's also an element of the underdog in Spidey, but you can't be the underdog if you're personally immensely successful.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Not always been friends they were rivals for a time or has that been retconned.
    I don't recall them being rivals for the same girls if that's what you mean. They have more of a friendly rivalry. I do have a vague memory of Johnny asking MJ out after OMD but not sure where I read that.

Out of curiosity where is this from, I don’t even remember seeing the uniform.
    The Sal Larocca panel with Johnny in the dark blue is from the Claremont FF run, issue #27. I enjoyed his run toward the end and I don't think Marvel has collected any of it in TPB. You would probably have to dig up the back issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Yeah, but there is a lot to be said for shared interests.

The two tech/science guys on the Avengers have way more in common than say Tony and Cap do or more to the point than Steve and Pete do.

I think JMS noted that Cap would have more to say to May Parker than Pete.

Also, Spider Man tends not to take too well to active mentoring which is part of Cap's thing.

Cap's a guy who gave up the few civilian relationships he had to do his job better. Pete still mostly defines himself by his civilian relationships: guy who was raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben, M.J.'s significant other, etc.

As such Cap and Spidey's priorities are vastly different.

They have great mutual respect for each other but they don't quite understand each other and they are not close.

Which presents us with a great lesson: if you want to be popular, be a watered-down version of yourself!
    Lol! :P

Good analysis!

Spectacular Member

You know, I think it is easy for a lot of the more established characters too see something of themselves in Peter:

Cap sees the potential to inspire/be a moral agent (which Spidey definitely has)
    Reed sees the potential to be a great scientist (which Peter definitely is)
    Tony sees the potential to create (Peter is an engineer too)
    Thor sees the potential for valor and heroism (probably, I don't know much about Thor's relationship with Spidey)

etc, etc.

I think is is because Peter is sort of the Nightwing of the MU -- the first of the younger generation of heroes. He has the potential to be all of the greats, but what defines Peter is the fact that he is none of them. He does things his own way, and probably always will because Peter isn't the kind of guy to lead until everything is down the drain.

I sort of wish marvel would explore Peter's relationship with the younger heroes in the MU. Maybe he is Cap to them.

Incredible Member

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the idea that Steve is waiting for Peter to "step up" as there's plenty of times that it's shown that Steve does respect Peter/Spider-man a lot.

A lot of their team ups through the years it always seemed like he thought fondly of Spider-Man including Maximum Carnage. In the few appearances Spider-Man made in Kurt Busiek's run on Avengers it seems that Cap always valued Spider-Man as a hero and spoke highly of him.

Even in the early Bendis New Avengers the conversation that Steve used to convince Peter to join even though it was played for laughs we never got the sense that he was blowing smoke when he said that whenever they'd fought together they'd been impressed and in those earliest issues it seemed like Spider-Man's experience was the most useful but he soon faded into just the team jester role. Around that time JMS was writing Amazing and did his Avengers-centric story after Peter moved in to Avengers tower and the two seemed close.

I think it's just a case that Cap has a longer working history and direct connections to the other Avengers. Peter not only has a whole other life outside of Spider-Man but still likes to face a lot of his problems without the Avengers.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't Spider Man joining Cap's idea in Bendis' run?

Cap even tells Spidey something like "Every time I see you I'm in awe" or something.

Cap is uncomfortable with the funny guys. It took a long time for him and Clint to bond.

Cap is the old man Peter is the immature kid at heart. That said Cap respects Peter's ability and track record. He is just not one of his go to guys.

BANNED

They definitely have great respect for eash other.
    For Spidey is an unquestionable matter. He has proven it many times over with the Fallen Son mini being the prime example.