Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

If it sells well no reason why they can't do modern villains in this setting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My understanding is that Lois being an Army brat was a post-Crisis idea but as far as I remember, the movies didn't go into a lot of detail about her history.
    Venditti isn’t trying to emulate the Superman comics that came out in the 70s. His Brainiac for example shared more in common with the well-intentioned but cold Morrison Brainiac in Action and Superman & the Authority over the scheming bad guy of Bronze Age Brainiac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    interesting. hopefully these arcs will continue. how many more classic villains have yet to be introduced?
    Venditti mentioned ideas for Metallo, Parasite, and Mxy back when he was asked if he had plans for sequels. If he gets to make more I think we’ll see Parasite and Mxy, maybe he’ll bring back Zod too at some point. I’d like to see a final “season” culminate in Superman having to fight his entire Rogues Gallery, that could be fun.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I hope he brings in Helen Slater's Supergirl at some point. It could be for a Mxy story, as her film was magic based (iirc).

As dodgy as it was, I got genuine feels seeing that Superman and Supergirl together in The Flash.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Guess we know what S3’s villain would be! I’d love to see a Bizarro story next, given Bizarro World exists before Kal even arrives on Earth, maybe Venditti is going with the Bizarro World revamp pitched in Superman 2000? He does enjoy using Morrison ideas after all. Solid issue but very decompressed. I think the rescue scene could have been shorter and a few of those pages given to building up the new Metallo’s backstory would have been better use for them. I do enjoy the Cold War politics and it does seem like Venditti is going with Lois’ father being General Sam Lane given she tries to use him against the American soldiers who attempt to kill her for recording their treason.

I bet the Metallo suit might have even been commissioned by Sam himself, that could make for good drama where Metallo sees Superman as the loyal American stooge while Clark is actually angry at the government for building the suit in the first place. Maybe Lex had a hand in building it too given that’s his “symbol” on the chest. Supes caught in the middle between the Americans using Lex while the Soviets use Metallo.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I hadn't even heard there was another Superman '78. I'll have to read it before seeing spoilers.

I still wish they would also do a Superman '51 (George Reeves). I guess there just isn't enough interest.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think they wanted to but couldn't get Reeves likeness approved. I would have called it Superman '55 to go along with the double year theme they had going. But the Reeve version is probably better known.
    Assassinate Putin!

SUPERMAN ’78: THE METAL CURTAIN #4

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI
    Art and cover by GAVIN GUIDRY
    Variant cover by STEVE EPTING
    1:25 variant cover by HAYDEN SHERMAN
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 2/6/24
    Metallo declares war against Superman on American soil! These two men of steel will duke it out in the nation’s capital, and only one can be declared the winner!
    Venditti going to make Lex President I wonder? I liked his rendition of Hackman Lex so I’m fine seeing Lex return.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Is this still set between SM (1978) and SMII?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Is this still set between SM (1978) and SMII?
    I think it’s set after II but don’t hold me to that. Maybe it’s set after all four of the movies, I know the answer is somewhere in the old 78 thread where Venditti gave an answer on a podcast and I recorded it there. Don’t remember what he said alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think it’s set after II but don’t hold me to that. Maybe it’s set after all four of the movies, I know the answer is somewhere in the old 78 thread where Venditti gave an answer on a podcast and I recorded it there. Don’t remember what he said alas.
    I recall he said about the first series that it was set between the first 2 films with Chris Reeve. That's why I wondered if it was still the case. It seems a weird idea not doing a proper "sequel" to the old movies (all 4).

I recall he said about the first series that it was set between the first 2 films with Chris Reeve. That's why I wondered if it was still the case. It seems a weird idea not doing a proper "sequel" to the old movies (all 4).
    Turns out you can quote me for the info:

Listening to a podcast interview Venditti did, and apparently I had it wrong. This takes place between Superman 2 and Superman 3.
    Which makes sense, Torres did some mock-ups of Stamp Zod and I could totally see Venditti wanting to gather all of the Superman villains for one big finale if he gets to keep doing these. Superman ‘78 was basically the Superman III that Donner wanted to do anyway.

Turns out you can quote me for the info:
    Thanks. I just looked online and it's widely believed to be set between the first 2 films for some reason. Found Venditti has also confirmed on Twitter the setting being between II and III: https://twitter.com/robertvenditti/s...05942879715330

I don't recall any in-story clarification though.

Which makes sense, Torres did some mock-ups of Stamp Zod and I could totally see Venditti wanting to gather all of the Superman villains for one big finale if he gets to keep doing these. Superman ‘78 was basically the Superman III that Donner wanted to do anyway.
    You mean the Superman III with Kara, Brainiac and Myx pitched by the Salkinds? I see Superman ‘78 as more similar to the Cary Bates' Superman V script with Reeve's Kal being temporary stuck in Kandor.

Venditti going to make Lex President I wonder? I liked his rendition of Hackman Lex so I’m fine seeing Lex return.
    With the Superman memorabilia I wonder if Lex tries to side with Superman to make himself look better.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With the Superman memorabilia I wonder if Lex tries to side with Superman to make himself look better.
    Lol, Supes tie and handkerchief. Cufflinks gotta be part of it too, right?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Thanks. I just looked online and it's widely believed to be set between the first 2 films for some reason. Found Venditti has also confirmed on Twitter the setting being between II and III: https://twitter.com/robertvenditti/s...05942879715330

I don't recall any in-story clarification though.

You mean the Superman III with Kara, Brainiac and Myx pitched by the Salkinds? I see Superman ‘78 as more similar to the Cary Bates' Superman V script with Reeve's Kal being temporary stuck in Kandor.
    No Donner apparently had his own pitch for Superman III that involved Brainiac. Makes sense, I mean he was the second biggest Superman villain for ages, if anything it’s a shocker it’s taken until (possibly, if the rumors are legit) Legacy for him to be used on the big screen.