Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

It must be so surreal bringing her back to the Fortress after the mind-wipe to meet his parents...

I am digging how Venditti flips which set of parents has survived into Superman’s adulthood. Glad to see them show up here and be acknowledged. That said… this book is lacking in a sense of narrative weight compared to the first volume. Everything is so decompressed and doesn’t give Clark much in the way of inner narration to slow things down. Plot is also a little too simplistic and straightforward, it’s a bunch of nice character moments but nothing more so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It must be so surreal bringing her back to the Fortress after the mind-wipe to meet his parents...
    Funnily enough Venditti does have him almost reveal himself again! I dunno, I personally don’t want that. I feel like this incarnation of Superman should never get to marry Lois, him having bungled that relationship All-Star style feels more fitting.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

That's Donner Superman filtered through the lens of the Post-Crisis sensibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    That's Donner Superman filtered through the lens of the Post-Crisis sensibility.
    I’d say moreso in line with Morrison sensibility honestly. It’s very Everyman+, you bring the girl you like to meet your folks, but your folks are aliens from another planet who have been miniaturized, live in a bottle, and you have a whole secret identity you don’t know how to share with your girl.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d say moreso in line with Morrison sensibility honestly. It’s very Everyman+, you bring the girl you like to meet your folks, but your folks are aliens from another planet who have been miniaturized, live in a bottle, and you have a whole secret identity you don’t know how to share with your girl.
    It feels like Venditti wants to recreate a variation of the post-Crisis status quo (parents alive, Clark revealing his id to Lois) but with the Donnerverse setting. Something like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought these ones were set after the original, but before any of the sequels.

EDIT: Nevermind, my mistake.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 12-05-2023 at 06:58 PM.

It feels like Venditti wants to recreate a variation of the post-Crisis status quo (parents alive, Clark revealing his id to Lois) but with the Donnerverse setting. Something like that.
    Might be what he’d like to do but since this takes place between 2 and 3 we know it won’t happen. Does seem to be taking from the Post Crisis take on Sam Lane which suits me, though he’s taking his sweet time bringing Sam into the story.

Might be what he’d like to do but since this takes place between 2 and 3 we know it won’t happen. Does seem to be taking from the Post Crisis take on Sam Lane which suits me, though he’s taking his sweet time bringing Sam into the story.
    The story placement between SM II and III is so weird. It's not like he is filling the gaps between films.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The story placement between SM II and III is so weird. It's not like he is filling the gaps between films.
    It could take place at any point in his career if you wanted.
    Assassinate Putin!

It’s moreso that he doesn’t want to acknowledge III and IV since those two aren’t well regarded I reckon.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It’s moreso that he doesn’t want to acknowledge III and IV since those two aren’t well regarded I reckon.
    This is kind of a shame as he might be able to do something interesting with them. Anything can be (at least somewhat) redeemed by a good creative.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It could take place at any point in his career if you wanted.
    I know. In my headcanon, the Superman '78 comics are set after IV.

And Supergirl that was set between III and IV.

I know. In my headcanon, the Superman '78 comics are set after IV.
    That only will be confirmed when we see the return of the Nuclear Man.

And Supergirl that was set between III and IV.
    I think Supergirl happened depiste III & IV.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Hit me that part of the reason Venditti teased the Bizarro World version of Bizarro is because Nuclear Man basically is the clone version of Bizarro with a different name.

You mean Nuclear Man 1? That is a bit of info few people know about.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin