View Poll Results: Should Betsy Braddock stay as Captain Britain forever or no???

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Betsy is the one and only Captain Britain

17 21.79%
  • Betsy should return to being a psionic British mutant superhero

61 78.21%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Why does it have to be forever is the first thing that popped into my head. I’m enjoying Bets as CB currently but that doesn’t mean I never want to see changes made. The best Betsy imho was under Remender during Uncanny X-Force. I don’t think Betsy should merge with Kwannon again but continuing to see her as an effective warrior is great.
    While my bias is showing with my preference for her before they reverted her, I can’t help but feel that Marvel overcorrected when they completely threw away the ninja aspect. It’s especially jarring in the face of how they’ve now had Kitty, a Caucasian Jewish woman step into a ninja role but doubled down on separating Betsy from what made her so popular for 30 years even in her own skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    While my bias is showing with my preference for her before they reverted her, I can’t help but feel that Marvel overcorrected when they completely threw away the ninja aspect. It’s especially jarring in the face of how they’ve now had Kitty, a Caucasian Jewish woman step into a ninja role but doubled down on separating Betsy from what made her so popular for 30 years even in her own skin.
    THIS One Hundred Percent THIS "jarring in the face of how they’ve now had Kitty, a Caucasian Jewish woman step into a ninja role but doubled down on separating Betsy from what made her so popular for 30 years even in her own skin."

Also Elektra a Greek caucasian woman was allowed to wear the body suit thongkini lite uniform but somehow Betsy wearing it was awful. Ok.

But anyways. I hope we get her sprinkled in to one or two of the FoX titles.
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-20-2023 at 04:56 PM.

That's why I think it was a smart move to reestablish her history as a spy, something she was long before she ended up transformed and even before she joined the X-Men. The STRIKE members were killed while they were spies so they're in that mode the moment they're resurrected. Then you have a portion of the public that still remembers her as world famous model, something she was while spying. The door is wide open now for her to step into that direction more and I suspect that's where things were heading next.

As for Kitty being a ninja again, let's not forget the anguish she's going through right now. It's not simply about looking cool and killing foes, she's in a precarious place that could put herself and others in danger. That's what makes her current story so interesting to me.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    That's why I think it was a smart move to reestablish her history as a spy, something she was long before she ended up transformed and even before she joined the X-Men. The STRIKE members were killed while they were spies so they're in that mode the moment they're resurrected. Then you have a portion of the public that still remembers her as world famous model, something she was while spying. The door is wide open now for her to step into that direction more and I suspect that's where things were heading next.

As for Kitty being a ninja again, let's not forget the anguish she's going through right now. It's not simply about looking cool and killing foes, she's in a precarious place that could put herself and others in danger. That's what makes her current story so interesting to me.
    Even if it’s a matter of her going through anguish, of all the aesthetics that they went with, they chose ninja. Not even like ninja is the default for a character getting blood on their hands in anguish and anger but they went specifically for it.

Even if it’s a matter of her going through anguish, of all the aesthetics that they went with, they chose ninja. Not even like ninja is the default for a character getting blood on their hands in anguish and anger but they went specifically for it.
    But being a ninja is part of her history. It represents a very specific and important moment in her development so it didn't come out of nowhere. I thought it was interesting that Claremont had just put out a mini a few months ago featuring Ogun, the one responsible for the original change.

But being a ninja is part of her history. It represents a very specific and important moment in her development so it didn't come out of nowhere. I thought it was interesting that Claremont had just put out a mini a few months ago featuring Ogun, the one responsible for the original change.
    Well in the same vein, the ninja aspect is a pretty big part of Betsy’s history and Marvel is doing all that they can to erase that from her due to trying to distance themselves from the body swap. This is also a significant part of her history yet they pushed everything of it off on Kwannon.

*dusts cobwebs off the old account*

While I really like the reversion of Betsy and Kwannon to their original bodies, I don't honestly think becoming Captain Britain was good for her.

There are things I like; I always thought Betsy should have a more European style of swordplay than Kwannon's martial arts, and I like seeing her manifest a broadsword and shield.

But the costume isn't doing anyone any favors - then again, red, white, and blue have never been my ideal color scheme for a character, especially not one whose hair is that distnct shade of lilac.

Before the reversion, Betsy was seen manifesting all kinds of weapons. A giant morning-star flail, bow and arrow (which looked a little Moonstar-adjacent, ngl), and I want to say there were telekinetic throwing stars at one point? In addition, she was experimenting with her telepathy and telekinesis, where one got stronger as it was used over the other, and the 'tide' would shift based on her needs. I wanna see that explored more.

Also I feel like the black-and-pink costume she wore right before Krakoa kicked off was one of her best outfits since the Australian armor (which I love).

Well in the same vein, the ninja aspect is a pretty big part of Betsy’s history and Marvel is doing all that they can to erase that from her due to trying to distance themselves from the body swap. This is also a significant part of her history yet they pushed everything of it off on Kwannon.
    But their histories as ninjas come from very different places and this particular story is about Kitty reflecting a very dark and traumatic past experience in the present. As cool as I think she looks and I like this aspect of Kitty, I also see that it's very foreboding. So I'm okay with Betsy not having to experience such a traumatic turn at this time.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I wouldn't mind if she was CB for a good long while...as she was when she became Asian Psylocke. I just want her to be written to the fullest capacity of what being CB entails. No half-assery and foolishness. If they have no intentions for her in the 616 proper...let her be the show-runner for the Otherworld Universe and just run with it and let her BE that hero.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I wouldn't mind if she was CB for a good long while...as she was when she became Asian Psylocke. I just want her to be written to the fullest capacity of what being CB entails. No half-assery and foolishness. If they have no intentions for her in the 616 proper...let her be the show-runner for the Otherworld Universe and just run with it and let her BE that hero.
    Exactly how I feel. If she's going to hold the mantle then go big with it. Build out the massive world around her that it has the potential to be.

But their histories as ninjas come from very different places and this particular story is about Kitty reflecting a very dark and traumatic past experience in the present. As cool as I think she looks and I like this aspect of Kitty, I also see that it's very foreboding. So I'm okay with Betsy not having to experience such a traumatic turn at this time.
    Doesn’t have to be a traumatic experience that has Betsy be a ninja, though given how Marvel basically buried it the second that they changed her back, Marvel seems to treat the ninja aspect as a negative.

Doesn’t have to be a traumatic experience that has Betsy be a ninja, though given how Marvel basically buried it the second that they changed her back, Marvel seems to treat the ninja aspect as a negative.
    Yeah I get what you're saying. I guess for me I'm not comparing the two in this instance because it's a dark time for Kitty. Not sleeping, probably barely eating, disassociating so she can get the job done.

I've always felt a little weird about Betsy as ninja Psylocke, and I understand not everyone feels this way. I've compartmentalized for years the knowledge that Claremont was going to return her to her body originally. Then later in X-Treme he killed her with the intent of returning her in her body but Quesada's "dead means dead" policy prevented him. That was at least twice that her creator wanted to restore her and so I kinda viewed her time as a ninja as a detour that went on longer than it was supposed to. That's not taking away any of the great stories (particular Remender's X-Force) during that time but I've been waiting for her to come back to her original look.

I just thinking being a patriotic hero is so limiting and takes her further away from the X-Men. IMO.

Also those colors just clash (another thing we will have to agree to disagree on) the CB uniform and colors are uninspired and derivative.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As Captain Britain, Betsy is barely aligned with the country in her name. There's a reason why the Avengers having Captain America on their team works. Betsy didn't need to be Captain Britain for the majority of the Krakoan era. Give her back the Psylocke title.
    "Cable was right!"

Although I wish they went back to Revanche and Psylocke. I do not see that happening.

And if it did it would need to be a really good writer and it would need to be in the flag ship title. IMO

There is a lot to explore in her current role I just wish we had a more capable writer that could juggle everything.

I also wouldnt mind them doing more with the twins father James Braddock. I think as someone else mentioned.

He wasnt the best guy and I think I remember some plot points of him Secret Avengers? maybe and that robot world.

Imagine Al Ewing tying that altogther with the current Krakoa era.

Oh what could be.