Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Has the Spider sense ever been explained?

What exactly is it?

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    What exactly is it?
    I remember it being stated that all spiders have a sense of impending doom, not necessarily what it is or from where the danger is, and that is why they scatter before you can smooch them. This is what peter got--he knows something is amiss--but not what or from where.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

there's an alt-U where Flash Thompson gets bitten instead of Pete, and Pete becomes a Spider themed version of Doc Ock... in that one it was explained as akin to Daredevil's super hearing. And Pete actually built a gadget to overload spider-sense. Is this true in the main-U... seemingly no, but it was a very simple explanation.

EDIT: and I just remembered that in TAS Spider-man built tracker tags that he could "feel" the location of with Spider-sense....

There's been a number of explanations for it over the years. None of them have really stuck.

I can also remember in the 90s they made a big deal about how Kaine can actually get visions of the future as some sort of enhanced version of his spider-senses.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    there's an alt-U where Flash Thompson gets bitten instead of Pete, and Pete becomes a Spider themed version of Doc Ock... in that one it was explained as akin to Daredevil's super hearing. And Pete actually built a gadget to overload spider-sense. Is this true in the main-U... seemingly no, but it was a very simple explanation.

EDIT: and I just remembered that in TAS Spider-man built tracker tags that he could "feel" the location of with Spider-sense....
    The spider-sense overload gadget actually became canon later in Dan Slott's ASM, with Tiberius Stone figuring out how to invert the spider-sense jammer that had been invented to defeat Alistair Smythe's cyborg Spider-Slayers and their replicated spider-senses so it overloaded Spider-Man's spider-sense instead of dampening it, which set the stage for the Superior Spider-Man story arc.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

In Amazing Spider-man 1, the Chameleon of all people works out how to send a message to Spider-man using his spider-sense to arrange a meeting at a specific place from across New York.
    This is not I think something that anyone has ever done since.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    In Amazing Spider-man 1, the Chameleon of all people works out how to send a message to Spider-man using his spider-sense to arrange a meeting at a specific place from across New York.
    This is not I think something that anyone has ever done since.
    Except Doctor Doom, if I recall right, in issue 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Except Doctor Doom, if I recall right, in issue 5.
    One of the very few clever things Chapter One actually did was explain that Chameleon was working for Doom. That's how he got the tech.

It also allows him to get punched/hit by things that aren't perceived as an actual threat to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    One of the very few clever things Chapter One actually did was explain that Chameleon was working for Doom. That's how he got the tech.
    That would definitely make sense, yeah.

Astonishing Member

There was a back-up story in the early 90s (maybe one of the 30th anniversary issues) in which Peter explained how it works to MJ. What triggers it and what doesn’t? I don’t remember the details but she attacks him with a pillow to test it.

The spider-sense is definitely the most inconsistent power. The dumbest misuse of it was during the original 1970s “Clone Saga” in which Jackal could sneak up on Peter because “Miles Warren was a friend.” Which is definitely NOT how it works… plus how would the spider-sense know it’s Warren in the costume anyway?

As for real spiders having a spider sense? Lol no, they definitely don’t… that was just Stan (or who knows, maybe Steve) putting a spin on the fact it’s hard to kill spiders sometimes.

BANNED

I always assumed it was a series of tubes with tiny gnomes who watch Peter's every move and send radio signals to warn him.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    There was a back-up story in the early 90s (maybe one of the 30th anniversary issues) in which Peter explained how it works to MJ. What triggers it and what doesn’t? I don’t remember the details but she attacks him with a pillow to test it.

The spider-sense is definitely the most inconsistent power. The dumbest misuse of it was during the original 1970s “Clone Saga” in which Jackal could sneak up on Peter because “Miles Warren was a friend.” Which is definitely NOT how it works… plus how would the spider-sense know it’s Warren in the costume anyway?

As for real spiders having a spider sense? Lol no, they definitely don’t… that was just Stan (or who knows, maybe Steve) putting a spin on the fact it’s hard to kill spiders sometimes.
    They don't, but they have millions upon millions of tiny hairs covering their bodies and limbs that are incredibly sensitive to air currents and vibrations on whatever surface they happen to be touching, especially their webs, which is how they can move so fast when detecting potential threats or prey. Additionally, some spider species have excellent sight, relatively speaking, so Peter's vision should be at least somewhat sharper than the average 20/20 if he's got the proportionate abilities of a spider.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They don't, but they have millions upon millions of tiny hairs covering their bodies and limbs that are incredibly sensitive to air currents and vibrations on whatever surface they happen to be touching, especially their webs, which is how they can move so fast when detecting potential threats or prey. Additionally, some spider species have excellent sight, relatively speaking, so Peter's vision should be at least somewhat sharper than the average 20/20 if he's got the proportionate abilities of a spider.
    also, like the Man-Spider, real spiders have a very wide field of vision.

they often don't' need to be looking directly at you to see you coming.