Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I've asked before, but can you provide examples of "stringing together words that don't belong together"?
    Anti-nothing is a good example. He writes lot of things like that. I'm fairly certain he has used anti-sun and anti-infinite as well.

I agree with most of what Penguin Truth says, except that I get the feeling that he/she doesn't like Morrison for these reasons, whereas they are a part of why I often do.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Anti-nothing is a good example. He writes lot of things like that. I'm fairly certain he has used anti-sun and anti-infinite as well.

I agree with most of what Penguin Truth says, except that I get the feeling that he/she doesn't like Morrison for these reasons, whereas they are a part of why I often do.
    "Anti-nothing" is from? "Anti-infinite"?

"Anti-sun" I can believe, because he's done big energy-sucking cosmic phenomena before and it has an easy Bronze Age ring to it and was given to a Kirby riff, Mageddon.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 05-07-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Spectacular Member

Stories that end on an uplifting or at least somewhat positive note. Humanity wins either through magic or wishing or imagination or some other thing. The point is that the good always outweighs the bad.

Apart from the end of Batman inc. That seemed like a really bitter downer or an ending, though that's probably due to Morrison's frustration with DC winning out over his epic story.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    As always, Morrison not making sense is news to me.
    That's an oxymoron. It it's news then it's new and not "as always".

Seriously though, not making sense is in the eye of the reader.

The Filth was fine for me (I really enjoyed it) - but I couldn't make any sense of The Invisible Kingdom, Seaguy (past the first issue), Seven Soldiers #1 or Superman Beyond. I'm sure the sense was there, but I was lost and my enjoyment of these books suffered as a result.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

"Anti-nothing" is from? "Anti-infinite"?

"Anti-sun" I can believe, because he's done big energy-sucking cosmic phenomena before and it has an easy Bronze Age ring to it and was given to a Kirby riff, Mageddon.
    Pretty sure both are from Final Crisis and Superman Beyond 3D. Anti-Sun was referring to Mageddon.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Pretty sure both are from Final Crisis and Superman Beyond 3D. Anti-Sun was referring to Mageddon.
    Not that "anti-sun" is really "words that don't belong together," especially in the case of Mageddon's internal anti-sun. It's a cosmic phenomenon producing the effects of cold and dark with spheres orbiting it. If someone can't work out why the giant space thing generating the opposite of what a sun does, with planets orbiting it would be called an anti-sun... that's on them, because contextually that's pretty obvious.

The other two... I kinda doubt it, unless they're being used jokingly, like "my anti-anti-life arrow."

I like penguintruth. He's got good points on some things, whether we agree or not, and he gets passionate about stuff, which is good. But, he's got a tradition, at this point of coming into a thread just long enough to say Morrison makes no sense or writes "words that don't belong together," then leaving without ever providing specific examples. Being critical is fine, but evidence is usually appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Morrisonian feels like someone smoked a few joints while doing research in the DC back issues library.
    It is well established that he did more than just smoking joints.

I've asked before, but can you provide examples of "stringing together words that don't belong together"?

Much like your previous accusations that he writes nonsense that "doesn't make sense," you don't seem to ever provide evidence.
    Slightly related but I think I read in Supergods he did something like that in Doom Patrol, he would type random words and then let the spell check correct them or something like that for how the Scissormen would talk.

To me Morrison plays with high concepts in everything, but when it comes to his recent Big 2 superhero work, I would consider Morrisonian as figuring out the core of these characters and writing to that. New X-Men, Batman and All-Star Superman all do that. He plays with the archetypes rather than the true characters as they exist currently.

While I am not a fan of Morrison, I do appreciate his use of obscure references and characters and his deep, detail rich storylines. I have found that too often the payoff is not worth the set up for me.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Frequently writes very dense material, which (depending on the mood I'm in at the time), is either extremely interesting or pretentious beyond belief. My enjoyment for his work usually ranges from "really like" to "love", but sometimes he just gets too self-indulgent, with the Mr. Miracle mini being the prime example.

Despite some of his deconstructionist tendencies, he has a clear and infectious love for superheroes and what they represent, which is refreshing in the dark and gritty era. His Superman stuff is the prime example of this, followed by JLA.

His original villains are kind of one-note though. Usually, they're just loons who spout of philosophical/archetypal nonsense without having much fleshed out personalities. The stuff they talk about is interesting (such as the creepy real-life research studies Pyg alludes to constantly), but that doesn't say much about them as people. Oddly enough, though, this isn't as much of a problem when he's using classic villains. He writes one of the best Lex Luthor's ever, and he's the only person to make me interested in Talia. The Joker kind of falls in between, but I tend to prefer a Mr. J who lets his "comedy" do the talking for him rather than rambling about how much of an awful, cosmic joke life is.

All-New Member

In a case by case basis Morrisonian is Promethean the idea of men as gods.

In a collective "Hypercrisis" basis Morrisonianism is that stories are our ultimate creation and are as real as we make them. Our belief in them can help us make the world a better place and rather than trying to drag our heroes into the mud with us, we should aspire to be more like them.

His figurative tangent lines in terms of his written stories are the multiple and different states of consciousness, along with the nature of the stories realities, and that story(ies)'s product of human perception and everything in the perception of those realities are subject to changes, is Morrisonian. Some of his main tropes are the nature of reality, different states of consciousness, and reality as a product of human perception, hence reality being subjective, subject to change as perception of reality changes. And his stories have positive and character uplifting endings. And he never runs out of these, and uses multiple ones as sub-tropes, within the story context, whereas other writers would use one for the entire arc. Man I miss the old discussion thread on this. It was full of thought-provoking material and mind-bending insights from all those posters.

I remember reading the following:

A Morrisonian believes in more than symbolism, but sigil-ism.

A symbol is a representation of something, a sort of short-hand for an idea...a sigil is a symbol that, to a Morrisonian, comes into being through conscious effort and is invested with psychic power/emotional significance/it's own "life" through meditation, prayer, the imagination, and other avenues by which an individual or group directs the consciousness of themselves or that of others (religion, corporations, etc.). A shield is a symbol of the protection of the righteous, a yellow shield with a big red "S" is a sigil that represents a singular construct of the creative mind or minds having many aspects of a symbol, but more focused and subject to the direction of a minority of creators or progenitors.