Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Doomsday (Post Crisis) vs Thor Odinson

Doomsday, the beast that killed Superman

vs.

Thor Odinson, the God of Thunder

Note: I'm not up to speed on current Thor comics. I know at some point that he got the Odin Force, but I dunno if he ever lost it. So assume for the purposes of this rumble that it's just Normal Thor with Mjolnir

Thor probably does alright he has a lot of tricks he can use as long as he doesn't try to go H2H with him.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Which post crisis Doomsday? There are a bunch of distinct versions. But Thor can just dimension dump most of them, especially since he has better speed feats.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    But Thor can just dimension dump most of them, especially since he has better speed feats.
    *multiple trauma*

*leaves thread in a hurry*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Look I'm not a fan of the Thor speed debates, but he has more than Doomsday for feats. I wouldn't say he's always portrayed as a speedster like Superman, but then again while super speed is an always recognized part of Clark's power set, near light reflexes is not. Seems fair enough from a consistentcy standpoint to put Thor somewhere nebulously over the speed of sound. (I seem to recall mach 4 or 5 being the old ruling?)

Ultimate Member

Thor has the Odin Force now.

Last I saw, he destroyed a combined Mangog and Mother Storm thing and Mjolnir in the process.

He also used said Odin Force to repair Mjolnir (from Ewing's new series).

With the full Odin Force, I can't see Doomsday taking him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thor has the Odin Force now.

Last I saw, he destroyed a combined Mangog and Mother Storm thing and Mjolnir in the process.

He also used said Odin Force to repair Mjolnir (from Ewing's new series).

With the full Odin Force, I can't see Doomsday taking him down.
    Check the OP. No Odin Force here.

Look I'm not a fan of the Thor speed debates, but he has more than Doomsday for feats. I wouldn't say he's always portrayed as a speedster like Superman, but then again while super speed is an always recognized part of Clark's power set, near light reflexes is not. Seems fair enough from a consistentcy standpoint to put Thor somewhere nebulously over the speed of sound. (I seem to recall mach 4 or 5 being the old ruling?)
    As the person who made the old ruling, I believe it was 'Bullet-time, somewhere in the high-end'. I'm not sure if that carried over, and I'm really happy it's not my problem to work out if it didn't. ^_^

As for my panicked response, it's two-fold: there's the Thor issue which still gives me hives to some extent (as, again, I was the one who made the ruling and whoooo, the vitriol), and then there's the recent Doomsday stuff. Part and parcel of being here, of course.

And I totally agree that Thor DOES have a whole lot most speedfeats. No question there.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Memory could use some work, I guess (as shown in the Doomsday thread!).

616 Thor's reaction speed is somewhere between a bullet timer and the high machs. This puts him as far faster than peak humans, but below people like Superman.
    So that's where we stand atm.
    Why are we here?

Ultimate Member

Check the OP. No Odin Force here.
    I stand corrected. Tired eyes

Unless Thor keeps distance, he gets worked.

Extraordinary Member

I actually made this thread because both Thor and Doomsday had contested speed, I figured "Bricks with nebulous speed feats" was a decent theme. Didn't realize Thor was pegged as a Bullet Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I stand corrected. Tired eyes

Unless Thor keeps distance, he gets worked.
    Luckily, Thor can basically keep infinite distance via BFR. Dimension dump, or have Mjolnir carry Doomsday into space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    *multiple trauma*

*leaves thread in a hurry*
    Yup. We all know Doomsday *should* have speed feats since he fights Superman but he really didn't. Superman consistently has speed feats- but not against Doomsday. So I feel like Thor has enough stuff to beat him.

But, yeah, not another Thor's speed debate.
    Power with Girl is better.

For me, after FemThor performing multiple surgeries at superspeed while claiming to be as fast as lightning makes me think Thors speed should be about as fast as thunder at minimum to as fast as lightning at absolute most.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Captain Morgan hit it correctly with his post (I was misremembering). An actual speedster, but not a ridiculous one (like, not any meaningful fraction of lightspeed). Mach 4 or 5 sounds fine.

I realize Thor has a few feats way higher than this. Thor also has an absolutely staggering amount of times he's not even portrayed as anyone with any kind of speed, and it seems that under most writers, the fact that he originally had some kind of superspeed is completely forgotten, rather than ignored for the purposes of writing a story (PIS).

Were I to go back and do it again, I would likely rule differently. How? Not sure - I would need to weigh ALL of the evidence again. But this time I wouldn't go for any kind of 'find a middle ground' stuff. Thankfully, that's not my business any more. ^_^

I always disliked doing Mod Rulings, preferring that people come to a consensus.
    Why are we here?