Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ha. Cable with a mean 'stache is menacing, man.

I'm a big NFL football fan, so for me he's got that "former player turned coach" look. Where he's on the older side, but still looks like he can drop into a three-point stance and drive you into your own bench on the sideline. LOL.

Think Dick Butkus or, more recently, maybe a Mike Vrabel...

Last edited by Jackraow21; 08-21-2023 at 08:07 AM.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

They didnt take any questions regarding the Cable situation so maybe its a plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Ha. Cable with a mean 'stache is menacing, man.

I'm a big NFL football fan, so for me he's got that "former player turned coach" look. Where he's on the older side, but still looks like he can drop into a three-point stance and drive you into your own bench on the sideline. LOL.

Think Dick Butkus or, more recently, maybe a Mike Vrabel...

Ok that works for me lol. I always liked Butkus' style and energy.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    Kinda ironic that one of the scenes says Dazzler's World tour. Sheesh
    I wonder if it is from the Unlimited issue that will feature her that takes place before the Gala. And if it is, I hope it isn't about bad ticket sales or what have you, I get annoyed at that schtick for her.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

Ha. It would seem that way at times. But in the runs Camp refers to having studied, which shaped his current take on the character as a "Telepathic Soldier-Messiah" (God I love that summation!), Nathan didn't even use guns at all. He used the psimitar in the Casey-Ladronn run, and during Igor Kordey's time on both Cable and Soldier X he really didn't use firearms at all from what I remember. There were some covers depicting him holding guns, but he mainly just used his TP/TK throughout the run. I remember not liking that run at the time, but I was young and stupid. It's really great stuff, and makes Cable stand out as a unique character in the Marvel Universe. Not just another gun-toting hardcase and/or cyborg like dozens of other characters... Deathlok, Bishop, Winter Soldier, Misty Knight, Maverick, Punisher, Solo, etc.

Probably the biggest detriment to Cable as a character IMO is Winter Soldier, as he came along and basically stole Nathan's aesthetic as cybernetic, gun-toting super soldier. And worse still, he beat him to the big screen. To the point where Deadpool makes not one but two jokes about it in the Deadpool 2 movie. So, in my view, the more a writer leans into things that make Cable unique as a character the better, otherwise he looks like a knockoff (despite the fact that he came first!).

Some folks would argue that his time has passed, but I think with someone like Deniz Camp (or Al Ewing) writing him that Cable can be more relevant than ever honestly. Think about the times we live in, and the things we're starting to see... like artificial intelligence... how that will shape humanity, or post-humanity. And now think about this "telepathic soldier-messiah" who is infected with a techno-organic virus that is more advanced than any technologies we currently have or can envision. You telling me a smart writer cannot figure out how to make such a character cooler, and more relevant than Bucky f'ing Barnes? Or dozens of other characters for that matter.

Just saying...
    We still have Steve Rogers running around draped in the American flag… I would say that you don’t have to worry about Cable’s time having passed. Good characters will always be relevant, it’s all in the presentation.

Probably the biggest detriment to Cable as a character IMO is Winter Soldier, as he came along and basically stole Nathan's aesthetic as cybernetic, gun-toting super soldier. And worse still, he beat him to the big screen. To the point where Deadpool makes not one but two jokes about it in the Deadpool 2 movie. So, in my view, the more a writer leans into things that make Cable unique as a character the better, otherwise he looks like a knockoff (despite the fact that he came first!).

Some folks would argue that his time has passed, but I think with someone like Deniz Camp (or Al Ewing) writing him that Cable can be more relevant than ever honestly. Think about the times we live in, and the things we're starting to see... like artificial intelligence... how that will shape humanity, or post-humanity. And now think about this "telepathic soldier-messiah" who is infected with a techno-organic virus that is more advanced than any technologies we currently have or can envision. You telling me a smart writer cannot figure out how to make such a character cooler, and more relevant than Bucky f'ing Barnes? Or dozens of other characters for that matter.
    The good news, at least in my opinion, is that Cable is actually an interesting character, Winter Bucky just isn’t (to me). I know he has his fans and I’m not trying to crap on their love of the character but Cable has profound motives and a weird rich history that, when compared, makes Cap’s old mate look pale in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    We still have Steve Rogers running around draped in the American flag… I would say that you don’t have to worry about Cable’s time having passed. Good characters will always be relevant, it’s all in the presentation.
    This is also a good point. Cable is awesome and will stand the test of time, it’s kind of his whole thing.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

If i could ask him something ill ask who did give the information that he use to make "His Chile"

As a Chilean his portray of my country got me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    If i could ask him something ill ask who did give the information that he use to make "His Chile"

As a Chilean his portray of my country got me confused.
    I posted the call for questions link for this interview in the review thread for #1, friend. You missed it!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    The good news, at least in my opinion, is that Cable is actually an interesting character, Winter Bucky just isn’t (to me). I know he has his fans and I’m not trying to crap on their love of the character but Cable has profound motives and a weird rich history that, when compared, makes Cap’s old mate look pale in comparison.... Cable is awesome and will stand the test of time, it’s kind of his whole thing.
    You guys make me feel much better. Wish more comic fans outside of these forums knew these things about Cable... his "profound motives" and "weird, rich history". A lot of fans unfortunately just associate him with the shallow caricature of his current self that was invented by Rob Liefeld, and with Rob himself. So they crap on him as being a lame 90s trope and say things like "his time has passed." They're pretty ignorant of all the layers that came later from writers like Fabian Nicieza, Joe Casey, David Tischman, Darko Macann and Mike Carey, to name a handful of the most important ones IMO. And I love that Deniz Camp is a student of those runs and really leaning into them in his portrayal of Nathan Summers as a "telepathic soldier-messiah."

I honestly prefer the Cable Camp is talking about to the Liefieldian one so I'm really glad that's the direction taken here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I honestly prefer the Cable Camp is talking about to the Liefieldian one so I'm really glad that's the direction taken here.
    100%! That's my point. When written this way, he's very interesting and unique. So happy that this is the characterization and history that Camp is leaning into. I want him writing Cable forever now. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    I wonder if it is from the Unlimited issue that will feature her that takes place before the Gala. And if it is, I hope it isn't about bad ticket sales or what have you, I get annoyed at that schtick for her.
    Interesting enough Thom, that might be the case as we seen that we have seen a flashback story as to where the dead xmen voted team came to be voted on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    The interesting part of that to me is the woman walking in the shadow underneath the marquee. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Alison was previously established to have immortality. Might this be a hint that one of the murdered team isn't quite so dead...?
    Honestly i dont think some of these writers stick to continuity of our favorite characters. Always some new angle of trying to X (no pun intended) out those stories and make their own stamp and shock value.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Speaking of Dazzler, as someone who has had a soft spot for her ever since the old six-player side-scrolling X-men arcade game and also as someone who really liked X-Terminators and the banter between Ali and Boomer, Jubilee and Laura... my dream is a Deniz Camp written X-Force with Cable and Bishop, plus keep Sage and Domino and Laura, throw in Boomer... maybe someone weird like Omega Red... would be a lot of fun IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I posted the call for questions link for this interview in the review thread for #1, friend. You missed it!
    Yeah i lose that.

Claremont used Punta Arenas in a Polaris story (That was fine) or the Black Panther writer.

Speaking of Dazzler, as someone who has had a soft spot for her ever since the old six-player side-scrolling X-men arcade game and also as someone who really liked X-Terminators and the banter between Ali and Boomer, Jubilee and Laura... my dream is a Deniz Camp written X-Force with Cable and Bishop, plus keep Sage and Domino and Laura, throw in Boomer... maybe someone weird like Omega Red... would be a lot of fun IMO!
    I can do without Omega. I just don't find him interesting as a anti hero, hero. What i would like to see is Maybe Warpath taking orders and mentorship from Both Nate and Lucas grooming him to be a leader. It is long overdue as Jimmy has been a staple in the X-World for quite some time. And its like he has been reduced to a nobody.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine