Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #216 – Deniz Camp Talks ‘Children of the Vault’

“Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Great interview and thanks for posting! Aipt images can be tricky so lemme channel my inner Forge.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

AIPT: Finally, what can you tease about what comes next in Children of the Vault?

Deniz: Silence: Psychic Interrogation In Progress, Lay Your Hammer Down, The Message Spreads, War On Tomorrow, Invasions From Beyond, Return to Graymalkin Lane, “The Human Question”, The Tetrahedral Histories, and A Cable’s Real Mutant Power.

I also want to thank everyone for reading. The response to the first issue was really kind, and I was very touched by it. I really hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

Excuse me, real mutant power?? And that's really cool that the response has been good and he's feeling the love. Issue #1 was a banger.

Kinda ironic that one of the scenes says Dazzler's World tour. Sheesh
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

That's the least interesting teaser art we've got so far XD

Apart from that Domino shot. Could X-force be in Colossus's home in the savage land ? Is Domino dugging up his murdered girlfriend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    AIPT: Finally, what can you tease about what comes next in Children of the Vault?

Deniz: Silence: Psychic Interrogation In Progress, Lay Your Hammer Down, The Message Spreads, War On Tomorrow, Invasions From Beyond, Return to Graymalkin Lane, “The Human Question”, The Tetrahedral Histories, and A Cable’s Real Mutant Power.

I also want to thank everyone for reading. The response to the first issue was really kind, and I was very touched by it. I really hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

Excuse me, real mutant power?? And that's really cool that the response has been good and he's feeling the love. Issue #1 was a banger.
    Ah ! I was right about the Nuff Said New X-men issue reference !

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    That's the least interesting teaser art we've got so far XD

Apart from that Domino shot. Could X-force be in Colossus's home in the savage land ? Is Domino dugging up his murdered girlfriend ?
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I love Colossus so if his story really is finally coming to a head I may have to read X-Force. *hides face*

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

Thanks! I couldn't figure out how to share images.

And, yes, that part intrigues me obviously...

For a long time I've struggled with how you make Cable both A) relevant and B) unique as a character, just as he was in the early 90s when he exploded on the scene, before everyone started rocking guns and pouches and even cybernetic limbs. The runs that Camp mentions having been inspirations for him -- namely Casey/Ladronn and Igor Kordey's time on the book -- were runs that attacked that very question later on in the 90s and even into the early 00s, and IMO quite successfully. So this is exciting to me.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 08-21-2023 at 05:47 AM.

Cable’s real mutant power is guns.

Glad to see Domino isn't just ignoring what Colossus was saying when he was freed from the Chronicler.

The Dazzler tour hits hard after the Gala. But maybe not everyone is buying Orchis' story. I wonder what book that will be from.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    Kinda ironic that one of the scenes says Dazzler's World tour. Sheesh
    The interesting part of that to me is the woman walking in the shadow underneath the marquee. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Alison was previously established to have immortality. Might this be a hint that one of the murdered team isn't quite so dead...?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Cable’s real mutant power is guns.
    Ha. It would seem that way at times. But in the runs Camp refers to having studied, which shaped his current take on the character as a "Telepathic Soldier-Messiah" (God I love that summation!), Nathan didn't even use guns at all. He used the psimitar in the Casey-Ladronn run, and during Igor Kordey's time on both Cable and Soldier X he really didn't use firearms at all from what I remember. There were some covers depicting him holding guns, but he mainly just used his TP/TK throughout the run. I remember not liking that run at the time, but I was young and stupid. It's really great stuff, and makes Cable stand out as a unique character in the Marvel Universe. Not just another gun-toting hardcase and/or cyborg like dozens of other characters... Deathlok, Bishop, Winter Soldier, Misty Knight, Maverick, Punisher, Solo, etc.

Probably the biggest detriment to Cable as a character IMO is Winter Soldier, as he came along and basically stole Nathan's aesthetic as cybernetic, gun-toting super soldier. And worse still, he beat him to the big screen. To the point where Deadpool makes not one but two jokes about it in the Deadpool 2 movie. So, in my view, the more a writer leans into things that make Cable unique as a character the better, otherwise he looks like a knockoff (despite the fact that he came first!).

Some folks would argue that his time has passed, but I think with someone like Deniz Camp (or Al Ewing) writing him that Cable can be more relevant than ever honestly. Think about the times we live in, and the things we're starting to see... like artificial intelligence... how that will shape humanity, or post-humanity. And now think about this "telepathic soldier-messiah" who is infected with a techno-organic virus that is more advanced than any technologies we currently have or can envision. You telling me a smart writer cannot figure out how to make such a character cooler, and more relevant than Bucky f'ing Barnes? Or dozens of other characters for that matter.

Just saying...

And another way Cable could distinguish himself? With some kickass facial hair. Behold the glory of Nathan Summers with an NFL coach’s bushy mustache…

IMG_7663.jpg

Seeing Gambit rocking a beard — which looks good on him — in Dark X-men inspired the thought. Now I cannot unsee its glory. LOL.

Oh man, I'm getting J. Jonah Jameson dressing as Cable for Halloween with that LOL