Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    We still have Steve Rogers running around draped in the American flag… I would say that you don’t have to worry about Cable’s time having passed. Good characters will always be relevant, it’s all in the presentation.
    Some characters and elements will outlast the changing trends of the decades and survive the related "the previous decade was so silly" mockery and come out on the other end as "classic" where some of the outdated or ridiculous elements will instead be seen as endearing or got phased out over time.

Which seems to be part of an overall repeating pattern in popular culture and trends. From fashion, over music to entertainment.

Despite being a very "90's" character, Cable seems to somehow made the cut indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    I can do without Omega. I just don't find him interesting as a anti hero, hero. What i would like to see is Maybe Warpath taking orders and mentorship from Both Nate and Lucas grooming him to be a leader. It is long overdue as Jimmy has been a staple in the X-World for quite some time. And its like he has been reduced to a nobody.
    Or his older brother John. He and Cable have a funny dynamic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Some characters and elements will outlast the changing trends of the decades and survive the related "the previous decade was so silly" mockery and come out on the other end as "classic" where some of the outdated or ridiculous elements will instead be seen as endearing or got phased out over time.

Which seems to be part of an overall repeating pattern in popular culture and trends. From fashion, over music to entertainment.

Despite being a very "90's" character, Cable seems to somehow made the cut indeed.
    Good point. I think the reason why, in his case at least, is that so many people have reinvented him over the years and added these weird and wonderful layers to his story. All those writers I mentioned and who Camp is using as inspiration for his own take on Nathan Summers.

As opposed to, say, Deadpool or Venom. Who also came out of the 90s but are more or less the same characters today that they were then. Because the concepts behind those characters and their respective aesthetics weren't so connected to the trends of the 90s, beyond just being "grim and gritty" I suppose. Whereas Cable could've very well faded away into obscurity if he was not constantly being reimagined and reinvented along the way. This is why I believe he did indeed make the cut and is still around, though his popularity isn't what it once was. He's a deeper character today.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    If i could ask him something ill ask who did give the information that he use to make "His Chile"

As a Chilean his portray of my country got me confused.
    Probably nobody. As I said before, he probably just searched for a controversial issue (like the lithium mines) and found Chile, and since the CotV are from South America he just decided to go from there. Both the kidnapping of people and the idea that the south of Chile would have sugar plantations tells me this writer didn't really spend a lot of time doing research, just went with whatever archaic idea he had of South America without doing any more research to seem edgy or Uber woke. I mean, sugar plantations are in the south if you live in the western hemisphere, but would be in the north if you lived in the south, so you can see the guy didn't do the most minimal research of the country in question. It really sucks, I did like a lot of the rest of the issue, but we have to learn to vote with our wallet so I am not supporting the rest of the mini nor his future work.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-22-2023 at 09:28 AM.

I feel you. I live in the Southern United States. Rarely a day goes by where I don't see some terrible television or movie portrayal, or even comic book portrayal, of what life is like here. For one thing, I've never even seen a Klansman. Ha. But in the X-men comics they have KKK chapters on every street corner in the south apparently. And they hate mutants as much as minorities!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I just saw on Fandom that the Children of Tomorrow's names have been dropped, on of them is.... LUZ!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I just saw on Fandom that the Children of Tomorrow's names have been dropped, on of them is.... LUZ!
    Where can I see this?

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Probably nobody. As I said before, he probably just searched for a controversial issue (like the lithium mines) and found Chile, and since the CotV are from South America he just decided to go from there. Both the kidnapping of people and the idea that the south of Chile would have sugar plantations tells me this writer didn't really spend a lot of time doing research, just went with whatever archaic idea he had of South America without doing any more research to seem edgy or Uber woke. I mean, sugar plantations are in the south if you live in the western hemisphere, but would be in the north if you lived in the south, so you can see the guy didn't do the most minimal research of the country in question. It really sucks, I did like a lot of the ret of the issue, but we have to learn to vote with our wallet so I am not supporting the rest of the mini nor his future work.
    Yeah Im form the location that the writer "potray" and we had cities and stuff.

Maybe he is based in Chilean rural towns but those are avanced too. We are not a Caribean country and there not that level of criminality (yet, i hope we never get there)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I feel you. I live in the Southern United States. Rarely a day goes by where I don't see some terrible television or movie portrayal, or even comic book portrayal, of what life is like here. For one thing, I've never even seen a Klansman. Ha. But in the X-men comics they have KKK chapters on every street corner in the south apparently. And they hate mutants as much as minorities!
    Yeah, it really sucks. I was really excited for the series, probably not as much as you obviously, but I like the characters and found the premise intriguing. But those opening pages just soured my enjoyment of the rest of the issue. And reading his interview didn’t help matters, where he says that he is half Turkish and half Filipino and those countries are usually ignored by western media, and then he goes and portrayed South America like is the early 20th century. I did the research that this writer refused to do. Blackbirding, the practice of kidnapping people to work in in sugar plantations, happened in mostly Central America, and also parts of Peru and Mexico. You know when it ended? In the 1930s, the only country where there was still vestiges of this practice was Haiti recently. It never happened in Chile because one there are no sugar plantations there (part of the reason that Chile doesn’t have a large population of people of African descent, since African slaves were not brought over as there was no plantations to work on), and even if there were, is not a practice that happens in the freaking 21st century.
    I am from Oregon by the way so I totally understand about stereotypical portrayal in media, apparently if you live here you either live in the middle of the forest or a very small rural town with no large cities which is hilarious, but the portrayal of South America by this writer is straight out of the early 20th century. I have been to some of those places, people in Quito dont dress in traditional native garb in the middle of the city for chrissakes, is not all jungles and rural towns. And look, I get it, the writer wanted to make a contrast between the forgotten people in South America and the technologically advance CotV, but making stuff up is not the way to go. As I said if you want to do that you better use a fictional country where you can put all this crap in.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-22-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Yeah, it really sucks. I was really excited for the series, probably not as much as you obviously, but I like the characters and found the premise intriguing. But those opening pages just sour my enjoyment of the rest of the issue. And reading his interview didn’t help matters, where he says that he is half Turkish and half Filipino and those countries are usually ignored by western media, and then he goes and portrayed South America like is the early 20th century. I did the research that this writer refused to do. Blackbirding, the practice of kidnapping people to work in in sugar plantations, happened in mostly Central America, and also parts of Peru and Mexico. You know when it ended? In the 1930s, the only country where there was still vestiges of this practice was Haiti recently. It never happened in Chile because one there are no sugar plantations there, and even if there were, is not a practice that happens in the freaking 21st century.
    I am from Oregon by the way so I totally understand about stereotypical potrayayal im media, apparently if you live here you either live in the middle of the forest or a very small rural town with no large cities which is hilarious, but the portrayal of South America by this writer is straight out of the early 20th century.
    Thank you! that was i meant.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Yeah Im form the location that the writer "potray" and we had cities and stuff.

Maybe he is based in Chilean rural towns but those are avanced too. We are not a Caribean country and there not that level of criminality (yet, i hope we never get there)
    Yes, I have been to Chile many times (I have family there), including the lithium mines portrayed here (the sheer size difference between what it was shown in the comic and what they actually look like is staggering). It is not only, with Uruguay, the the safest country in Latin America, but most of the population lives in urban areas. As I said, not only the portrayal of people being kidnapped to work in plantations is completely unnecessary to the plot at hand, it borders on harmful stereotypes. And it is amazing to me that this went pass not only a very ignorant writer but an editor as well. But then again, Marvel editors are not known for doing the most minimal work so (sorry, I cannot get pass the idea of sugar plantations in the south of Chile. I guess nobody at Marvel has even seen a map before).
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-22-2023 at 12:13 PM.

I'm sticking with my "no prize" of these sugar plantations run by slavers being in the Savage Land... which is technically south of Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I'm sticking with my "no prize" of these sugar plantations run by slavers being in the Savage Land... which is technically south of Chile.
    Ha, yeah, sometimes the best thing to do is just go full on science fiction to explain stuff like things, which is also why I prefer for writers to use fictional places if they are not going to properly research a place. I mean, obviously it wasn't the intention of the writer since he wanted to "expose" an issue, even though he is a century late (and he got the wrong country).

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I feel like I saw her name come up before as well. But now I cant find it. Maybe an interview?

Yeah she's listed on the cast/title page of issue #1 so hopefully we get a decent dose of her during the series.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I still hope the end result of this series is a new X-force title. Cable and Bishop would be a solid foundation for a team, and from them you can select other characters that could potentially make this title successful (the other X-force title was a good seller up until they took Logan out).