Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

This really feels like a mini to me and not a regular monthly title, which isn't a necessarily a bad thing but I really wanna know how long this run will go for

Reading that 2 page preview at the end of Ultimate Universe gave me a little hope for the UXM book. The art will be very difficult to reconcile with the other 2 books but it’s not bad by any means, Momoko is actually fantastic. However what really surprised me was the small bit of body horror where Hisako’s armor was ripping her face in half as it exited her skull, I did a legit double take because contrasted with the softer art style it really tripped me out in a good way.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No, thank you. (I really do not like Momoko's art at all, never did, never will...)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I'm going to wait and see how turns out. It doesn't really seem to be pulling me in as of right now though. Momoko's art does not appeal to me either.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    No, thank you. (I really do not like Momoko's art at all, never did, never will...)
    This is pretty much how I feel about it. I'll never get behind or enjoy the art even if the book featured all of my favorite characters.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Mighty Member

Same. Not my style and not really interested in Armor.

My main gripe is that (so far) this seems to be super distant from the other Ultimate titles and doesn’t seem to be fully taking advantage of the world building done so far. In a world so focused on international politics where most superheroes had their origins interfered with, it seems like naturally occurring mutants (which have had an international component since Giant Size) would be major power players. Instead of directly digging into that element we’re focusing on characters like… Maystorm. I find Momoko’s style interesting but it seems like this could have been it’s own thing and not necessarily the definitive take on this Ultimate universe’s X-Men.

On the plus side this does feel like it's kind of touching on my manga/anime X-Men AU fantasies.

you gotta give it a chance, when she's on she's ON

Her art has a dream like feel to it and I think when it comes to the X-Men that's what we need, the dream and not just the science (like in HOX/POX where the art by Yu feels so sterile [by design])

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    My main gripe is that (so far) this seems to be super distant from the other Ultimate titles and doesn’t seem to be fully taking advantage of the world building done so far. In a world so focused on international politics where most superheroes had their origins interfered with, it seems like naturally occurring mutants (which have had an international component since Giant Size) would be major power players. Instead of directly digging into that element we’re focusing on characters like… Maystorm. I find Momoko’s style interesting but it seems like this could have been it’s own thing and not necessarily the definitive take on this Ultimate universe’s X-Men.
    Pretty much. Feels like this version of the Ultimate X-men are an afterthought.

Nope. I don't spend my money on things I don't like. She's got her fans, great for her. I'm not one, there'll be no chances given.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Pretty much. Feels like this version of the Ultimate X-men are an afterthought.
    I'm interested in seeing what this universe's versions of Logan, Storm, etc., are like. If they exist at all, that is. But not enough to buy the book to find out. I'll look for those spoilers online and hope those characters show up in other places in the new Ultimate line.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Nope. I don't spend my money on things I don't like. She's got her fans, great for her. I'm not one, there'll be no chances given.
    boo

It's funny I really fell in love with her work after I saw her being interviewed by Piskor on Cartoonist Kayfabe and she talked about her method and influences and then Demon Wars solidified it for me.

LOL. What can I say...art appreciation is in the eyes of the subjective beholder. Objectively I will acknowledge the skill and technique employed...it still does absolutely nothing for me.

Personally for me, her art has a niche kind of appeal to it but it just doesn’t feel like it fits for 1/3 of a universe that’s establishing itself. It creates a feeling of being its own separate thing rather than being part of a whole.