Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

I’m definitely checking this out. I have every issue of the original UU and I’m probably going to buy all the books in the new line. It’s definitely not what I was hoping for but I’m going to reserve judgement until I actually read the books.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Given just how different this new Ultimate universe introduced in Invasion, unless it gets rebooted in the Ultimate Universe one-shot, is I'm genuinely intrigued what the X-men will look like in this world. We have mutants like Omega Red, Magik, Colossus, and Sunfire who are running whole countries and the world is inherently different given how the Maker crafted it. So is there even a hated by human kind thing going on?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Together, they’ll learn what it means to be mutant in the Ultimate Universe as they explore their emerging powers and the startling ways they connect to folklore, legend, and magic!
    Now that's a bloody interesting way of reinventing mutants. Something mystical, folkloric that is tied to their culture.

Well I got a bit of a Junji Ito vibe from the preview at the end of Ultimate Universe, anyone else?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/firs...iverse-marvel/

I also IÂ’m hearing rumblings that Maystorm from those fake sidekick variants for Spiderboy is going to become real in Ultimate X-men.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=245434695

The source, and a good reminder how well BC reinterprets pretty straightforward facts.

Anyway, I was hesitant about this because I am not sold on this setup by Hickman and have read very little by Momoko but I think this preview was won me over.
    Last edited by cranger; 11-01-2023 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=245434695

The source, and a good reminder how well BC reinterprets pretty straightforward facts.

Anyway, I was hesitant about this because I am not sold on this setup by Hickman and have read very little by Momoko but I think this preview was won me over.
    It's a though one, though to sell. The premise alone isn't grabbing me. Momoko on art is good. It's the combination of the premise and the X-men franchise that will sell it. So I want to see X-men characters reimagined in a way that intrigues me. In the end it's the linchpin of the whole X-men line.: X-men characters that intrigue me.

BANNED

lmao that's not supposed to be Storm, right?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    It's a though one, though to sell. The premise alone isn't grabbing me. Momoko on art is good. It's the combination of the premise and the X-men franchise that will sell it. So I want to see X-men characters reimagined in a way that intrigues me. In the end it's the linchpin of the whole X-men line.: X-men characters that intrigue me.
    Some manga-esque story inspired by X-Men in a very loose way and not the usual X-Men tweaked by Hickman's big story is actually what has me interested. We will see where it ends up meeting in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The character is Maystorm, a character Momoko drew as a Storm protege as part of a recent variant cover theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    No it’s Maystorm. A few months back when they announced the Spiderboy book they made a variant campaign called new champions where they created a bunch of fake sidekicks solely for variants. Maystorm was made to be Storms sidekick for the initiative.

And now the variant only character is coming to life in the new ultimate universe. Kind of like Gwenpool.
    Last edited by sifighter; 11-01-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    Words to live by.

The fact that she’s a Storm protege gives me hope that some real X-men might exist in the Ultimate U. I’m not buying this, as it’s not my cup of tea personally (more power to you if it’s yours, though), but hopefully we see some of the established X-men like Storm and Wolverine showing up in the other books. Fingers crossed.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

BANNED

Ooooh ok. I thought we were going to have to have yet another Storm pigment conversation with Marvel lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    The fact that she’s a Storm protege gives me hope that some real X-men might exist in the Ultimate U. I’m not buying this, as it’s not my cup of tea personally (more power to you if it’s yours, though), but hopefully we see some of the established X-men like Storm and Wolverine showing up in the other books. Fingers crossed.
    I mean Colossus, Magik, Omega Red, and Sunfire for sure will turn up because they are part of the secret world government cabal alongside Captain Britain, the Hulk, Emmanuel Da Costa (I assume a Sunspot relative), and two moon knights.
    Words to live by.

If we're basing it on 616, that's Sunspot's dad.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

That certainly looks and sounds... different. I will definitely check out the first issue even though I'm not sure it will be my cup of tea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well I got a bit of a Junji Ito vibe from the preview at the end of Ultimate Universe, anyone else? *pics*
    He is not the only manga artist who uses body horror in an almost mundane way for his stories, but it's a valid comparison.

Though such scenes are not entirely foreign to american and european comics either.

Funny enough what Hisako experiences there is likely how Marrow's daily life would feel like, which can make one wonder how certain manga artist would depict her.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I also IÂ’m hearing rumblings that Maystorm from those fake sidekick variants for Spiderboy is going to become real in Ultimate X-men.
    There are weirder origins for character concepts. Though being introduced as alternative version in a completely new AU is a better start than being thrown into the allready overcrowded 616 continuity.