Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Personally for me, her art has a niche kind of appeal to it but it just doesn’t feel like it fits for 1/3 of a universe that’s establishing itself. It creates a feeling of being its own separate thing rather than being part of a whole.
    It's manga and fairy tale inspired. It's certainly different from the house styles of DC and Marvel. I like it. Hope we get her versions of Rogue and Gambit. She can draw them very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    It's manga and fairy tale inspired. It's certainly different from the house styles of DC and Marvel. I like it. Hope we get her versions of Rogue and Gambit. She can draw them very well.

Yea I know that it’s manga inspired, but the issue for me is that it’s such a jarring contrast to the Western art that the other 2 have that it doesn’t feel like it’s connected to them much less the same universe. Like if it was it’s own universe where this was the style, it’d be one thing but in this case, it’s just too different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yea I know that it’s manga inspired, but the issue for me is that it’s such a jarring contrast to the Western art that the other 2 have that it doesn’t feel like it’s connected to them much less the same universe. Like if it was it’s own universe where this was the style, it’d be one thing but in this case, it’s just too different.
    We all know what we want from art in a comic, I have seen people here rave about art that doesn’t affect me the same way. Momoko to me has recognizable characters, dynamic poses and in general clean art. I guess she checks my boxes. The style of it doesn’t really matter to me as long as it works. As long as it fits the story. Even an event where the styles would clash is ok for me.

So... it looks like Ultimate Storm will show up in the Ultimate Black Panther book...

Ultimate Storm & Ultimate Killmonger In Ultimate Black Panther
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ulti...black-panther/

So this means that some of the X-men are out there in this new Ultimate Universe, and will show up in the other books. Yay! Can't wait to see this version of Ultimate Wolverine/Logan.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Hope Rogue is a adult in this universe..

Hope we get Ultimate Betsy in this.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm trying to keep an open mind and will definitely be checking out all the first issues... but at this stage it all feels like a weird alternate reality, I hope the writing is top-notch to make me invested so what I've seen so far hasn't been terribly exciting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm trying to keep an open mind and will definitely be checking out all the first issues... but at this stage it all feels like a weird alternate reality, I hope the writing is top-notch to make me invested so what I've seen so far hasn't been terribly exciting.
    Wasn't the Ultimate Universe always a weird alternate reality, just one pretending to be a "young and hip" second attempt at the core universe, by being more overtly violent, dark, depressing and rude?

I think Millar's The Ultimates was quite interesting, and actually was used quite a bit in the foundation of the MCU Avengers(most obviously with Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury). And obviously Miles Morales has become quite a breakout star over the decades, so BMB's Ultimate Spider-Man ended up bearing significant fruit as well. The Ultimate X-Men were more a reaction to the Singer Fox-Men, and while Millar did inject some classic X-Meny arcs into his run, it never reached the heights of his Ultimates, nor exceeded the Claremontian lore he was riffing off of, so it was just a pallid, 'modernized' story, propped up by 'cool' art.

The later writers were rather perfunctory too, I think only Kirkman's run towards the end really caught my attention, but overall it was a whole lot to do about nothing. All the edgy deaths and more mature romances/etc were handled rather clumsily(see Ultimatum). I did think it was kinda interesting when they really deviated from 'the world outside your window' Marvel concept, and experimented with that fractured United States and the proto mutant nationstates [that kinda paved the way for Hickman's later Krakoa in the 616], but that part of the story never quite gelled together for me in the end(Tian led by Jean, vs Kitty's reservation).

As for this newer version, I guess we'll see. Momoko's previous Marvel 'mangas' were neat little stories, but just not quite my cup of tea. I'm not captivated by the art we've seen so far, and Hickman's preamble with the alternate Ultimate universe The Maker and Howard Stark, Illuminati, etc, didn't capture me either, so, I'm not holding my breath, but I'm open to being surprised.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 12-11-2023 at 07:34 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Have we gotten anything else about this book beyond issue 1?
    "Cable was right!"

Amazing Member

We really don’t know much besides Armor being in it, correct? Or do I miss some info?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    We really don’t know much besides Armor being in it, correct? Or do I miss some info?
    I think the only other info is that the Storm knockoff/ sidekick character Maystorm will be in it. Also folks have theorized that Gentle will make an appearance because one of the dolls on the issue #1 cover looks like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Have we gotten anything else about this book beyond issue 1?
    Wolverine can also appear in this book but as a villain.

I'm curious about it but I'm cutting back on Marvel and DC next year. So it's a wait and see.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-panther-x-men

ULTIMATE X-MEN #5
    Written by PEACH MOMOKO
    Art and Cover by PEACH MOMOKO
    On Sale 7/17
    The Ultimate Universe’s new generation of mutants face their first enemy in Peach Momoko’s ULTIMATE X-MEN #5. Maystorm isn’t the only mutant with electric powers—and Noriko Ashida, AKA Surge, is here to make sure she knows it! A fun summer festival turns haunted and dangerous as spirits and surges collide! And, the shadow who has been haunting Armor finally reveals his true face!
    Surge in her villain era?