Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Hickman is never coming back to the X-Men

Marvel will him create an entire universe before allowing him to finish his X story

Oh, man. I hope we get an Ultimate X-men announcement too! Both a teaser this week, with the creative team listed like the Ultimate Spidey one, but also a full announcement with some cover art, costume designs, roster, etc., at NYCC on Oct 14!
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Even if I really really like Hickman's writing it will be the line-up that will make me decide to pick this up or not.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Agree with this…

Ultimate X-Men Was the True Star of the [Original] Ultimate Universe
    https://www.cbr.com/ultimate-x-men-star-marvel/

I just want Magician back. I miss him.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agree with this…

Ultimate X-Men Was the True Star of the [Original] Ultimate Universe
    https://www.cbr.com/ultimate-x-men-star-marvel/
    ha, opposed to Ultimate Spidey? GTFOuttahere.

It had great art, but extremely questionable characterization from Mr. Edgelord himself Mark Millar and then limped on and on until it was put out of its misery.

UXM was the top seller, and also drove events like Ultimate War (Ultimates vs X-men) and Ultimate Origin. So while Ultimate Spidey was the launch vehicle, I’d say Ultimate X-men was the cash cow.

UXM was the top seller, and also drove events like Ultimate War (Ultimates vs X-men) and Ultimate Origin. So while Ultimate Spidey was the launch vehicle, I’d say Ultimate X-men was the cash cow.
    But did the Ultimate X-Men ever outsell 616 X-Men books or Amazing Spidey or Batman?

Not sure. But this is about its status in the Ultimate line. So I stand by the article’s premise and agree with it. I do think it was kind of crown jewel of the line. At least for the first few years. But I suppose it’s about more than sales, and thus kind to subjective at the end of the day. *shrugs*

Looking forward to the new UXM book regardless. Hope it’s good.

Not sure. But this is about its status in the Ultimate line. So I stand by the article’s premise and agree with it. I do think it was kind of crown jewel of the line. At least for the first few years. But I suppose it’s about more than sales, and thus kind to subjective at the end of the day. *shrugs*

Looking forward to the new UXM book regardless. Hope it’s good.
    But then how is the "status" defined if not by sales?

Well if that’s the determinant, then Ultimate X-men was the star of the line. As stated. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    But did the Ultimate X-Men ever outsell 616 X-Men books or Amazing Spidey or Batman?
    Ultimate X-Men outsold 616 X-Men pretty regularly when it launched. I think issue 1 was actually the top overall book when it came out. So in short, yes.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I enjoyed pretty much the entire original Ultimate X-Men run as well as all the next iterations written by Loeb, Spencer and Wood. It was consistently one of Marvel's top-sellers for the first few years and drove a lot of the narrative in the Ultimate universe, including what became arguably its most important (if controversial) event, Ultimatum.

But looking back at its influence... did anything that happened in Ultimate X-Men ever impact anything else outside of the Ultimate line? Was anything ever adapted for other media or touched upon in the 616 comics? I'm genuinely asking as very little comes to mind.

Thinking back to animated shows and movies, I can't think of a single story, character portrayal or anything that was ever taken from or influenced by Ultimate X-Men.

One thing I do remember is the team sporting their Ultimate uniforms as default in the X-Men Legends games.

In terms of X-Men 616 comics, I can think of a couple of things:

Jimmy Hudson
    Wolverine's costume
    Tian
    Zorn/Xorn

What else can you think of?

Yes, absolutely. The Return to Weapon X arc, which was the second UXM arc running from June-Dec 2001, was a big influence of the second X-men film, X2: X-men United, which came out in May of 2003 a couple of years later. In that Weapon X was still clearly operating on U.S. (and Canadian) soil and was very much an active paramilitary outfit. In the comics, Colonel John Wraith was its leader whereas in the films they went a different, albeit similar, route in taking an older character from the comics and altering him to be the nefarious head of the program (in the films it was Colonel William Stryker instead of John Wraith). And the invasion of the mansion scene was definitely lifted from that Ultimate X-men arc too, along with Nightcrawler as a brainwashed agent/assassin.

The Ultimate line also influenced video games (as you mention) and even the Wolverine and the X-men cartoon a bit, at least in terms of the Phoenix story where, similar to in the Ult X-men comic, the Hellfire Club was kind of a cult obsessed with the big fire bird.

I’m sure there’s other examples, but those are off the top of my head.

Astonishing Member

I am not sure how well the old Ultimate X-Men comics have aged. Magneto was a one-dimensional evil psychopath and characters like Wolverine were immoral to the point of being repulsive, Wolverine trying to kill Cyclops to get with Jean makes him irredeemable, he should be in jail.

I think the bigotry was too over the top in Ultimate X-Men, even after that has gone on in the last 8 years. Sentinels willing to destroy am entire bus worth of humans to kill one mutant is so over the top, they would become extremely unpopular.