Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    If we are getting a brand new Ultimate Peter Parker, then why do you think Marvel hide him on the Ultimate Universe #1 cover ? Maybe a complete redesign of his suit ?
    What if it's ultimate Benji Parker?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It's a new universe, Earth-6160. We aren't going back to Earth-1610.
    BLAST!!!

We are going to have YEARS of Deja Vu, unless they try to do things different here.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    BLAST!!!

We are going to have YEARS of Deja Vu, unless they try to do things different here.
    I'd welcome an alternative interpretations they could just be mimicking the upcoming freshman year show & mostly just sideline the big main friend cast for new takes on existing characters.
    Last edited by Matt14teg; 08-22-2023 at 02:09 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    What if it's ultimate Benji Parker?
    An Ultimate series about Benjy would be an interesting twist.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    If we are getting a brand new Ultimate Peter Parker, then why do you think Marvel hide him on the Ultimate Universe #1 cover ? Maybe a complete redesign of his suit ?
    They hid everyone on that cover though, even if you can tell who it is form the silhouettes.

Astonishing Member

Alright, so good and bad news.

I'm 50/50 on whether we need a new Ultimate Universe. On one hand, modernizing old stories and concepts for a new younger audience makes sense. On the other... this is like, what, the seventh attempt now? The original Ultimate Universe, Raimi, Webb, Spectacular, the Marvel Adventures comics, the MCU... the new Ultimate is competing with all of these. And unlike the 60s comics that have a lot of dated dialogue, the AU and adaptations of the past 23 years are not that dated. Even if Hickman is at the helm, it still feels redundant.

That said, if you're going to do this... you have to do avoid the mistakes of the original Ultimate Spider-Man. There's 3 specific ones I think you have to avoid at all costs:

1. No 2000's realism - You know those attempts in the 2000's to make comics more "realistic", but they weren't actually more realistic? I'm talking "Galactus is a cloud" type of stuff. Well, the original Ultimate is littered with that. Demon Goblin and Cure For Cancer Venom aren't more "realistic" than 616. If anything, they're even less believable (A serum can turn you into a demon who shoots fireballs? A suit made in a lab that has a full personality like the symbiote?). Drop it all. Go for "classic but contemporary" like The Spectacular Spider-Man.

2. Don't try to change or reinvent MJ. No offense to Bendis, but if you read what he said about MJ in interviews, it's clear he shared some of the same unsympathy towards Lee/Romita MJ that the OMD Editors and BND Writers do. All the attempts to change MJ in the past 25 years were just attempts to fix something that isn't broken. Just don't go there.

3. Don't bring back Bendis' war on secret identities. Self-explanatory. Go back to the Stan Lee way of no one suspecting that Spider-Man is a kid because Peter is just that convincing.

Notice how every single one of these ideas is dead in 2023. Demon Goblin is now an afterthought. Bendis' war on secret identities died with NWH and the new Superman run. Meanwhile Insomniac MJ is still more akin to Ultimate MJ, sure, but the movie versions are more like 616 (Peter B's MJ is clearly 616-inspired, and NWH put a lot more emphasis on MJ's optimism than on the STEM stuff from Homecoming).

Point is, none of these would be as accepted today as in the 2000's. If the new Ultimate universe tries to bring them back, it's more or less going to be DOA.

Mighty Member

I'm curious how this will work since in the panels I've seen from Ultimate Invasion or whatever the starting book very clearly show the villain preventing Peter from becoming Spider-Man.

I'm not super interested because I don't trust Marvel, but I like Spider-Man and there's a very good chance this will easily be the best Spider-Man book on the market when it comes out so.....maybe?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Alright, so good and bad news.

I'm 50/50 on whether we need a new Ultimate Universe. On one hand, modernizing old stories and concepts for a new younger audience makes sense. On the other... this is like, what, the seventh attempt now? The original Ultimate Universe, Raimi, Webb, Spectacular, the Marvel Adventures comics, the MCU... the new Ultimate is competing with all of these. And unlike the 60s comics that have a lot of dated dialogue, the AU and adaptations of the past 23 years are not that dated. Even if Hickman is at the helm, it still feels redundant.

That said, if you're going to do this... you have to do avoid the mistakes of the original Ultimate Spider-Man. There's 3 specific ones I think you have to avoid at all costs:

1. No 2000's realism - You know those attempts in the 2000's to make comics more "realistic", but they weren't actually more realistic? I'm talking "Galactus is a cloud" type of stuff. Well, the original Ultimate is littered with that. Demon Goblin and Cure For Cancer Venom aren't more "realistic" than 616. If anything, they're even less believable (A serum can turn you into a demon who shoots fireballs? A suit made in a lab that has a full personality like the symbiote?). Drop it all. Go for "classic but contemporary" like The Spectacular Spider-Man.

2. Don't try to change or reinvent MJ. No offense to Bendis, but if you read what he said about MJ in interviews, it's clear he shared some of the same unsympathy towards Lee/Romita MJ that the OMD Editors and BND Writers do. All the attempts to change MJ in the past 25 years were just attempts to fix something that isn't broken. Just don't go there.

3. Don't bring back Bendis' war on secret identities. Self-explanatory. Go back to the Stan Lee way of no one suspecting that Spider-Man is a kid because Peter is just that convincing.

Notice how every single one of these ideas is dead in 2023. Demon Goblin is now an afterthought. Bendis' war on secret identities died with NWH and the new Superman run. Meanwhile Insomniac MJ is still more akin to Ultimate MJ, sure, but the movie versions are more like 616 (Peter B's MJ is clearly 616-inspired, and NWH put a lot more emphasis on MJ's optimism than on the STEM stuff from Homecoming).

Point is, none of these would be as accepted today as in the 2000's. If the new Ultimate universe tries to bring them back, it's more or less going to be DOA.
    The one thing I would keep from Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man, because it worked so well as a throughline and a juxtaposition with Uncle Ben's ethos (that he got from his brother, Peter's father Richard), would be how much if not most or even all of the suffering and misery in the world was ultimately rooted in the irresponsibility and corruption by those accustomed to the possession of power, unchecked by any sort of moral or ethical restraints or boundaries.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The one thing I would keep from Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man, because it worked so well as a throughline and a juxtaposition with Uncle Ben's ethos (that he got from his brother, Peter's father Richard), would be how much if not most or even all of the suffering and misery in the world was ultimately rooted in the irresponsibility and corruption by those accustomed to the possession of power, unchecked by any sort of moral or ethical restraints or boundaries.
    I'd love for them to go there. Honestly, if Hickman is involved in the Spider-Man book too, he probably would. Make it more Marvel Knights-y. Maybe even show Norman actually create some villains, which MK just said he did, lol.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I'm curious how this will work since in the panels I've seen from Ultimate Invasion or whatever the starting book very clearly show the villain preventing Peter from becoming Spider-Man.

I'm not super interested because I don't trust Marvel, but I like Spider-Man and there's a very good chance this will easily be the best Spider-Man book on the market when it comes out so.....maybe?
    There is going to be a time war between Kang and The Maker, so all of the changes The Maker made to Earth-6160 will probably be undone. Like Hulk being a Holy Man and Howard Stark being Iron Man.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

My hope is that 6160 Peter is Spider-Man and that Marvel makes him the Spidey they’ve always wanted: a Peter who never gets with MJ, and never ages out of high school. Then they undo OMD for 616 Peter and let him regain his development, since they have a new Ultimate Peter to be the Spidey they want. As for 6160 Peter, I don’t want to see MJ at all, if the focus is on keeping him a swinging bachelor forever, don’t bring in his most iconic LI. Just have him bounce between Liz Allen, Black Cat, and all the other prominent second string love interests.

Villains wise I hope we don’t see everyone connected to Osborn again. I’ve grown disenchanted with such connections, it makes everything feel small instead of grand. If Venom shows up, maybe look at how Insominiac handles the character? Never really liked Ultimate Venom myself. Doc Ock should be like game Ock in that he starts out as Peter’s mentor who ends up breaking bad, he’s the one character I am a fan of tying to Osborn.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It's a new universe, Earth-6160. We aren't going back to Earth-1610.
    Baffled at how many people don’t seem to get this. Would expect comic book nerds to be able to grasp that Earth 6160 has an entirely different history. It’s a way to reboot without actually rending your old Ultimate stories “pointless”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Huh? But Ultimate Peter did maintain his secret identity - he was only publicly outed when he died. Miles was never publicly outed. Look at recent comics too - Kamala Khan only kept her secret identity after dying and resurrecting because of Emma Frost. Otherwise she'd have been rumbled. Marvel didn't want her losing her secret identity just because they decided to make her a mutant. Likewise, I can't see them wanting a Peter who is publicly outed either - neither the 616 one nor the new Ultimate one will be revealing themselves any time soon.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-23-2023 at 04:14 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My hope is that 6160 Peter is Spider-Man and that Marvel makes him the Spidey they’ve always wanted: a Peter who never gets with MJ, and never ages out of high school.
    Seeing how obsessed Marvel is that 616 Spidey "must" be the vessel for their Peter Pan Parker fantasies, maybe it be more realistic to hope that the so-called new Ultimate Spidey will bring back the pre-OMD character, at least in spirit?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don’t know, I’d be up someone new in the role. I want a different setting than NYC. Shanghai, Tokyo or Mumbai for example.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I do hope we are shown what happened to the original Ultimate Universe in these last couple issues of Ultimate Invasion