Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clickbait - Thoughts??

How do you feel about Clickbait? Hate it? Like it? Avoid it like the plague?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I don't think it's that different that what advertising has been over the years. Whether it's Cinnabon pumping their aroma into a mall, prizes in cereal boxes, or bikinied women at a tradeshow, there have always been attempted to attract potential customers.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Hate it. A lot of it is just bad, incorrect or annoying. And on purpose.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I admit I succumb to it at times. What irritates me is when the lead, like on the Facebook post is something that doesn't appear in the clickbait page. "Look at where so and so is living now!" but that person is never mentioned in the list.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I have a bunch of thoughts on this. Number 7 will shock you!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I know I will miss these forums if things come to that. I like the way topics have their own forums, like Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Image, or separate characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Superman, Wonder Woman etc.

I'm not sure what annoys me more.

The clickbait that has several paragraphs telling you the history of every character and/or place involved and the actual bit of information you came for, is like three sentences at the end

OR...

The things like "Five Marvel Characters Batman can beat and Five he can't"

And the list is like ....
    Can: J. Jonah Jameson.
    Can't: Galactus

Can anyone explain to be what is the purpose/value/reason for existing of Clickbait? How does anyone earn money from making them or from posting them on websites?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Can anyone explain to be what is the purpose/value/reason for existing of Clickbait? How does anyone earn money from making them or from posting them on websites?
    There is advertising on the site. The more people click and read, the more hits the ads get, the more $.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

There are two things about it I hate.

First, if you happen to not have the right virus protection, you can have an annoying session of having your computer cleaned.

Secondly, when it's a site where the blathering goes on and on and on and, after a while, when it never gets to the point that was advertised, you click off.

Most of the time now, I don't even start.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm not sure what annoys me more.

The clickbait that has several paragraphs telling you the history of every character and/or place involved and the actual bit of information you came for, is like three sentences at the end

OR...

The things like "Five Marvel Characters Batman can beat and Five he can't"

And the list is like ....
    Can: J. Jonah Jameson.
    Can't: Galactus
    Or, "Can beat everybody because he's BATMAN!"

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

What I really hate is when real news sites sell advertising space to those clickbait sites. The ads might cause even more damage when people do NOT click. I keep seeing one that says "solar panels are not worth it" and there is tons of medical misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I have a bunch of thoughts on this. Number 7 will shock you!
    I see what you did there.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Another annoying clickbait is, "She was considered one of the most beautiful young women in the world in 1960. She doesn't look anything like that now!" No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Another annoying clickbait is, "She was considered one of the most beautiful young women in the world in 1960. She doesn't look anything like that now!" No kidding.
    I actually saw that one refering to Amanda Berse from Married with Children.