Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A lot of the newer writers do dialogue as if they’ve never heard a human being speak and are giving their best approximation. No excuses though for Duggan having Rhodey mention being in a Texan Prison to Jen Walters while they’re talking in said prison - an experienced writer has so many better ways to convey information about the setting than resorting to clumsy exposition like that.

Thanks for the reviews, everyone. Glad I skipped this.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member

I've seen a theory that Magik's being affected by Curse, which would explain why all her powers are malfunctioning instead of just her teleportation and why she's acting so out of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Not that I would ever recommend it but if you read X-men Green you will find that Curse plays in a league of her own in annoying. She transcends personal bias about characters and straight up corrupts what she touches, all the while staying horrible herself.
    Oh yeah. I read that. Ignoring all the generational politics discourse (online), I found Nature Girl’s arc / turning plausible when you consider her power set and similar arcs like Magik and Dark Phoenix. Curse - yeah, annoying. Then again, her dialogue and behavior seemed fitting for a character not more than 12 years old? Also, she’s a Curse - a pain in the butt that won’t go away. So there’s that.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-25-2023 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I've seen a theory that Magik's being affected by Curse, which would explain why all her powers are malfunctioning instead of just her teleportation and why she's acting so out of character.
    I believe Orchis infected her with nannites during a sentinel fight, in X-Men.
    The nannites are inhibiting her mutant teleportation power.
    And she gave Limbo to Madelyne. So that may be diminishing her sorcery.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-25-2023 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    A lot of the newer writers do dialogue as if they’ve never heard a human being speak and are giving their best approximation. No excuses though for Duggan having Rhodey mention being in a Texan Prison to Jen Walters while they’re talking in said prison - an experienced writer has so many better ways to convey information about the setting than resorting to clumsy exposition like that.
    LOL. Looking forward to characters uttering anachronisms like:

“Aww Mary, quit bein’ such a big palooka!”

“You sure gave that troll the what-not and wherefore, Mary!”

“Don’t be such a hooligan, Mary!”

“Tonight’s victory celebration is going to be the cat’s pajamas — but don’t forget who you are, Mary!”
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-25-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    I believe Orchis infected her with nannites during a sentinel fight, in X-Men.
    The nannites are inhibiting her mutant teleportation power.
    And she gave Limbo to Madelyne. So that may be diminishing her sorcery.
    The Orchis nanobots are well-known. The point is that that alone doesn't explain anything about how she is written here she should have not only no problems with her sorcery or summoning her soul sword, but even if she was completely powerless she should not be acting the way she is and would still be able to fight better than most.

Giving Limbo to Madelyne is a nonissue here. She gave Limbo up a year ago and even got an upgrade in that story which was shown by her costume magically changing to its current gold version in a literal magical girl transformation sequence. That story even did the whole 'Magik can't use her powers' schtick they're repeating for the bazillionth time here and had her get her powers back at the end after she had already transferred control of Limbo to Madelyne.

The idea that Curse may be the explanation pretty much comes down to whether people want to give the writer the benefit of the doubt that the glaring inconsistencies and seeming lack of the most basic understanding of any of these characters besides for maybe Dani has an in-story reason that explains everything that is wrong so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Curse was my assumption for the lack of magic, not sure about that being why she's out of character. I'm wondering if Curse will make Illyana turn to Darkchylde by the end of this, fulfilling Destiny's prophecy.

I agree that the editors should have caught the dialogue problems. I'd guess that English isn't Torunn Grønbekk's first language (her being Norwegian), so they should have been helping her on the different accents.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I’m here for Dani and Mary. If the become the Emma and Dani of this era, I’m ushering in the new age with a bugle.

'Fall of X' Declassified: Torunn Grønbekk Deciphers 'Realm of X' #1
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...bekk-interview

Writer Torunn Grønbekk breaks down the events of 'Realm of X' #1 and teases what's to come as this unlikely group of mutants tries to survive Vanaheim and the 'Fall of X.'
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

Writer Torunn Grønbekk breaks down the events of 'Realm of X' #1 and teases what's to come as this unlikely group of mutants tries to survive Vanaheim and the 'Fall of X.'
    My gripes aside, I'm still very interested in where this story is going.

Was that dude helping Marry by giving her a horse that 'inconvenient romance' mentioned back when this story was announced?
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Could be, but that doesn't seem very dramatic -- at least not yet. Marvel does seem to hate marriages, though...

The most interesting thing in that interview was the mention of an "old, helpful horror". I wonder who that'll be?

She does clarify here that Magik can’t use any of her magical abilities in this realm, which is useful context.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I wonder if 'the dozen other mutants' who came along contain any known mutants.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I wonder if 'the dozen other mutants' who came along contain any known mutants.
    well Hope, Goldsball and Elixir were drawn but that is a continuity error