Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

very interesting. I found TM to be such a cliche and she just sounded like every other sassy b.

Incredible Member

Magik forgot she had actual magic? She's not novice and has been called a potential Sorcerer Supreme several times. Also the "I'm so useless" attitude is way out of character.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Magik forgot she had actual magic? She's not novice and has been called a potential Sorcerer Supreme several times. Also the "I'm so useless" attitude is way out of character.
    She said she doesnt have access to her powers so Im gonna give her the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that extends to her magic not working either. This definitely needs to be addressed next issue

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She said she doesnt have access to her powers so Im gonna give her the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that extends to her magic not working either. This definitely needs to be addressed next issue
    Didn't the narration also hinted that something else had happend to them after they went through the gate?

Perhaps there is a benefit of a doubt to be given that it might all related either to Curse or Saturnyne's manipulations.

I loved it. Cool to see TM interacting with x-characters for once.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Writing wasn't as strong as thought it was going to be. This seems like such a interesting crew but their lines could have come from any one. Marry is OK but color commentator being the only highlight from the dialogue is probably going to get boring.

The "everybody gets to be a hero but you Illyana" thing is kind of interesting. Much as I don't care for her, I kinda wanna see what the arrangement Curse had with Illyana was. Student and teacher? Legal Guardian?

And the realm itself is also very interesting.

I love Dani and Illyana so I will stick with it.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So I will just post thoughts like others do:

Starts off with the preview pages; Dani Moonstar, Dust, Curse, Typhoid Mary, Marrow and Magik go through the gate and are in the forest fighting trolls and goblins.

Oh yeah I forget to mention other mutants went through the gate as well.

Curse runs away because she's an annoying child (but lowkey actually powerful and this comes into play later)

Magik cant fight because her powers are not working.

They get back up from a brigade of soilders that knew they were going to be there because of their prophecy seers.

Basically the Vanheim crew is fighting a White Witch (the only reason I picked up this title)

We don't know why they are fighting yet but we do know with of the arrival of Dani, Dust, TM and Marrow that means that the end is coming for the war and that the seers cant see anything past that.

Cut to Curse showing off how powerful she can be and getting the attention of the White Witch which turns out to be DUN DUN DUN Saturnyne.

My review is that the art was decent and the writing was okay but Magik seemed a little off to me; there were certain times where I felt Rasputina definitely would not say that or say it like THAT.

Full disclosure I only picked this up because I was told someone from Otherworld would appear.

I'm kind of also not feeling it anymore when they tell stories in other realms when there is still so much to explore on Earth, Krakoa, and Arrakko.

Like I dont see how this ties in to the other titles but I guess X-editorial likes having its off shoot titles.

Heres hoping we get more Otherworld.

Ignoring the whole Inferno/Dark Web mess, this basically was the direction Claremont was heading with the New Mutants, not the silly school/day care center nonsense Genx inflicted upon the book. One could pretty much see it with in the converstation between Magneto and Illyana when he was acting as headmaster.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 08-23-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Yeah, that's got to be it. It would explain why she seems so stunned.

Overall, I really liked this. The art wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Not bad, and very different from what I've seen of Neves's earlier work, but not actually better.

I was going to say Illyana was out of character, but if she woke up with no magic, that would explain things. Has there been another instance when she lost both her magic and mutant powers at the same time?

Dani was herself. This is good. Nice to see her using her animal empathy/telepathy, for once. Also nice to see her in a decent Gala outfit.

Would have liked to see a bit more anger from Marrow, but it's nice to see her acting like a hero.

I liked that Dust questioned what side they should be on and her use of her powers.

Mary, I don't know very well, so I can't really judge her. She was fun. I'm surprised she didn't mention her husband...

Curse is Curse. The fact that she saved the kid, at a cost to herself, showed she's not completely evil. She's still annoying, though.

Love the final reveal. Saturnyne was not who I expected, at all.

There were a couple of points where I wondered at the wording, like Marrow saying "Bloody hell", but Grønbekk is from Norway, so I guess she's not that familiar with American speech patterns, and that's something I can forgive this early in her career.

Extraordinary Member

Magik was cut off from all of her powers by the Enchantress' gem in War of the Realms. The one Roberto got himself blown up by breaking. She had no teleportation and no spells. In her own words, 'I'm just another soldier with a sword.' She had no trouble throwing herself into a hopeless fight with those limitations. Last year she had her soul sword shattered, which also messed up her teleportation. If anything she rebounded too quickly from that and had too little trouble both defeating enemies and being emotionally ready to fight. And even without her powers and sword, she's an expert hand-to-hand fighter who killed Cat with her bare hands when she was 11 and while blindfolded easily defeated both Dani and a transformed Rahne hand-to-hand. So this does not fit. It's just a copy and paste of how Nico reacted to not having the Staff of One anymore in Midnight Suns rather than a natural reaction or in-character for Magik.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

After a very strong first batch of Fall of X issues, Realms of X is the first real stumble. I thought both the writing and the art were extremely sub-par, with that last-page cliffhanger being the only saving grace of an otherwise very weak first issue.

None of the characters really sounded like themselves and it felt like the writer only really wanted to write about Curse and Mary. Nothing particularly compelling happens aside from Saturnyne's appearance and I think the book's disconnect from the main Fall of X plots will end up being a weakness. Also, I don't know what happened to Diogenes Neves but his art on the Psylocke mini from about a decade ago was pretty good while this... was not.

Was the ending really that much of a shocker to people? They were teasing the white witch throughout the issue and it felt obvious to me that it would be Saturnyne. I automatically thought of Emma bc of her association to white which made me jump to her doppleganger Saturnyne who's a multiversal character linked to magic

Was the ending really that much of a shocker to people? They were teasing the white witch throughout the issue and it felt obvious to me that it would be Saturnyne. I automatically thought of Emma bc of her association to white which made me jump to her doppleganger Saturnyne who's a multiversal character linked to magic
    I spent the time thinking about Legion of superheroes White Witch and Narnia. I also tried to figure out how to get Karnilla into the story. But speculating unto the identity of WW? Nah, it just didn’t grab my interest in that way.

The reveal did very little for me since Saturnyne hasn’t really been interesting since Alan Davis drew her.

When it comes to the end of year awards, this issue has made Mary the breakout star for me. Absolutely loved her here

Also really enjoyed Curse. What a little sh-t...lol. What are her powers exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I though she just gave people curses but she seems more reality warper ish with words
    Kind of reality warper with words that are "curses" because the result of her curses always need to end in someone being hurt. Hence the trolls being hurt. If she uses her powers in a way that benefits others (eg saving the boy at the end) then the "curses" backfire on her and cause her physical pain. Basically, she gets punished for using her powers for good.

She also has the ability to disrupt the powers of others. Xaviers telepathy and Black Mamba's darkforce both have less effect on her (which is why she resisted his push to the gates and had to be dragged through by others)
    Last edited by PopCulturePooka; 08-23-2023 at 05:52 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

So why are Elixir, Egg and Hope randomly in this book? That's clearly them in their Gala outfits in this panel

Editors not knowing how to do their job is the answer.