Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What do you think of this conversation from #22?

IMO it could have been executed a bit better (I think Diana could have come across as more empathetic toward Hellene's trauma), but it was a great and necessary scene that laid out the core themes of Perez's entire take on the Amazons. If any adaptations include Themyscira opening up to the rest of the world, I hope they include some variation of it.

I also really like the panels that follow these, where Diana rides to the city with Hellene on her horse because she flies alone but they can ride together.

Astonishing Member

I loved the Greek mythology in Perez's run. Wonder Woman (and Captain Marvel/Shazam to a lesser extent) is mostly what drew me to reading tales of Greek mythology in junior high (maybe beginning a little earlier than junior high). Perez's version of these characters was very compelling. But I will say that he probably could/should have created more characters who weren't connected to mythology.

His revised Cheetah, though, seemed very close to Marvel's Tigra, but I guess there's only so many ways you can go with a cat person. That said, there is something much more compelling about that Golden Age version -- and even the Bronze Age version -- than the modern version. And the more they try to make her a match for Diana, the more something gets lost. Cheetah should be more of a schemer than a physical threat.

Historia has my favorite depictions of the Gods, but Perez's Ares still hasn't been toppled for me yet.

Incredible Member

I *love* that image. So iconic.

And I really enjoy that Ares has to be respected and dealt with, rather than beheaded or something.

There's so much to love about the Perez run. I adore the art, obviously, but I also love the gentle way the heroine is written. She's strong, yes, and capable and smart and brave, yes yes and yes, but also...she cries. She experiences fear. She can get enraged. She can be overwhelmed. And still keep on going. And laugh. And trust people. And learn.

A lot has been said over the years about the "wide-eyed" approach Perez takes - and there are certainly a lot of panels of her looking that way - but it was refreshing to see a writer/artist with enough confidence in the character to allow her to be young, allow her to be vulnerable and allow her to still be a fierce warrior and hero all the same. It draws you into her story. All too often Diana is thought of as "perfect" and that creates this wall where you can watch her from afar, but never relate to her. Perez's Diana was relatable and human and still aspirational...and never silly. The weepy, Steve-obsessed Diana of the Mod Era was left behind. Perez struck a fantastic balance between the newcomer, the Princess, the super hero and the woman.

I really, really wonder why DC didn't invite George to come back and do another run and follow-up on Diana, if only to be able to see how George would have depicted a more adult, savvy, well-adjusted version of the character. I guess in a way, that's what Phil Jimenez did, and the results were largely very positive. But I wonder what else Perez would have wanted to explore or say about the character after his run became celebrated and respected. What would his grown-up take on Diana have been, if he'd had 12 issues to explore that?

It's also interesting to consider which of her villains he didn't touch during his run. Giganta being a major one, Dr Poison and Angle Man being two others. Did he not care for them...or did he want the next guy in the driver's seat to have something to reinvent too?

I also really like the panels that follow these, where Diana rides to the city with Hellene on her horse because she flies alone but they can ride together.
    That you for reminding me of that moment. It's such a small but potent example of the humanity he brought to the character. Such a great, minor moment.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 09-01-2023 at 01:38 PM.

I really wish someone would bring back Decay. She was in my first ever comic so I've always had a fondness for her. Since they've revamped the Duke of Deception as Dolos (god of deception), they could do the same for Decay and revamp her as Phthisis (goddess of, you guessed it, decay).

Decay was the first WW villain I ever saw that truly caught my eye with her striking looks and interesting powers. I also wish she was brought back, or revamped, or resurrected or whatnot.

It's funny to think that Barbara Minerva was essentially an evil Lara Croft before Lara Croft even existed.

It's funny to think that Barbara Minerva was essentially an evil Lara Croft before Lara Croft even existed.
    Indiana Jones brought the "action hero archaeologist" back in vogue in the 80s (quite a bit of imitators in the 80s that have been forgotten since), I wouldn't have been surprised if the idea was on Perez's mind.

As nice and compelling as Rucka's reimagining of Barbara was, I still prefer the selfish, greedy, egotistical woman Perez created.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    As nice and compelling as Rucka's reimagining of Barbara was, I still prefer the selfish, greedy, egotistical woman Perez created.
    Ideally, I'd like a combo of both.

I love Rucka having her be the first to communicate with Diana, and for her to be Diana's greatest failure, a toxic friend that Diana can't cut out of her life due to misguided guilt. For that whole dynamic to work, Barbara has to be genuine in her friendship with Diana and to have redeemable traits. But I'd like some of the shady edge from Perez's to be incorporated too, areas of her character that Diana didn't get to know before Barbara became Cheetah. Maybe not quite as ruthless and immoral as Perez's, but still willing to step on others if she needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Holy ****. I had forgotten how the Mindy Mayer story ended. That was beautiful; heartbreakingly so.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Holy ****. I had forgotten how the Mindy Mayer story ended. That was beautiful; heartbreakingly so.
    She had a cameo in one of the anthology stories from a few years back but yeah much as l like Myndi's story I kind of hope we don't really see a new incarnation of her as I feel modern writers would try to speedrun her death again like how Vanessa is permanently Silver Swan.

George Perez had such a talent for writing these heartbreaking death-centric stories. Myndi Mayer's and Lucy Spear's are such amazing comics.

Incredible Member

Definitely two highlights of his run. That funeral for Mindy was so eye-opening. We learned so much more about her after she was gone.

I agree Gaius - the modern DC just fast tracks things in the worst way. I really wish they'd move past Nessie as SS. The Bloodlines movie rushed through it. I vastly preferred Perez's Nessie.

Liked the Steve Etta romance a lot too.