Default The Invincible Iron Man 9 *Spoilers *

Given that Duggans stories are heavily intertwined I felt this deserved it's own review thread.

Open disclosure I'm not a fan but I will try and be as objective as possible.

After the preview pages we have a scene between Stark and Emma in the Morlock tunnels over the fallout of the Hellfire Gala. It's nice I guess, I feel that some of the dialogue is a bit clunky. A few times during the conversation Emma sounds almost like a caricature by dropping lines like "I didn't do X so small minded men could do y". I'm guessing this might be because he's trying to explain who Emma is to new Iron Man readers?

Anyway, apart from some lines of dialogue which sound a little bit unnatural the scene was nice particularly the concern over the Cuckoo's. I can't remember this much concern since Warsong.

After a small scene cut to Stark leaving Emma in the sewers to try and sort Rhodey out. Again some clunky exposition about twitter users being useful idiots however, the gist is Rhodey is in prison and She Hulk is representing him. She drops Tony as a client in order to represent him properly.

Stark guts his armour and dumps it on Feilongs doorstep. He hands a Psi blocker to Emma, it's shaped as a ring. Once again clunky dialogue but again a nice scene between Emma and Stark. Stark brings Emma essentials although he can only shop at Primark. Also he suggests Emma take up the alter ego Hazel as she had a bunch of security clearances. Also they both agree to kill orchis but do it in a smart way.

Cut to the last scene with them going to the Hellfire Club to speak to Kingpin. Emma signed him over her assets due to her vigalante status. Next issue we will see if he honours his word.

Overall despite some clunky dialogue there were a few nice scenes. I'm not a fan of the wedding idea unless this is some way for her to access her money but sure time will tell.

The art is quite nice, and the event as a whole should be brief hopefully.

7/10
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 08-24-2023 at 12:22 AM.

I really enjoyed this and the page you posted was my favorite. Duggan did a great job stirring up my emotions. I also liked when Emma went inside his mind to calm him. Saying his book isn't very good was a nice humorous break. Very interested in seeing how they deal with Fisk.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I really enjoyed this and the page you posted was my favorite. Duggan did a great job stirring up my emotions. I also liked when Emma went inside his mind to calm him. Saying his book isn't very good was a nice humorous break. Very interested in seeing how they deal with Fisk.
    It humanises Stark a bit more that his safe space isn't an a hotel full of exes.

Yeah I mean Fisk really does love his wife, I'm sure there's a clause there that he has to give everything back, also does he still have immunity now that he's not loving on Krakoa?

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    It humanises Stark a bit more that his safe space isn't an a hotel full of exes.

Yeah I mean Fisk really does love his wife, I'm sure there's a clause there that he has to give everything back, also does he still have immunity now that he's not loving on Krakoa?
    That's a great question. I already forgot that he was wanted in the US and on the run. It'll be interesting to see how all of that plays into this.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I wonder how the killing thing will turn out. Kwannon, Monet and now Emma. The killing thing isn't very popular with Brevoort so I hope there's not some sound of ousting from the X-Men when he takes over.

I wonder how the killing thing will turn out. Kwannon, Monet and now Emma. The killing thing isn't very popular with Brevoort so I hope there's not some sound of ousting from the X-Men when he takes over.
    There was no killing in this issue, only talking. Remains to be seen if it will be backed up by actions.

For that matter, Brevoort is the editor of this book, and Uncanny Avengers as well.

I enjoyed the issue. Duggan seems to like showing Emma's more vulnerable side, but I think he does a good job doing so. I wonder if Fisk will be told about Emma's alias or not. The line about him needing new armor was surprising to me, since he has the stealth armor still and I don't know how another armor will help him with the sentinels. I'm not a fan of a romantic relationship between the two but it would be funny if Emma gets armor from this.

I think in the next X-Men we'll see that Fisk and Emma had an agreement about her signing over the Hellfire Club to him and that he's breaking the agreement, even if he isn't directly helping Orchis. This leads to the wedding between Tony and Hazel, causing Orchis to show up and have Fisk and other Hellfire club members he's working with to get arrested.

Wow, Gerry did a good job in bringing me back to iron man after 3 decades of not caring about the character. I really do enjoy this possible pairing. Count me in if this works out. Man those 2 will be a powerhouse if written well. Keep it up Duggan!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Admittedly I'm only reading this for Emma and the tie-in to the FoX but...I'm really enjoying this arc overall considering I'm reading and loving The Avengers as well...and Tony is a part of that in his new armour. So while not connected there is a really nice tangential flow-through between the two books at this point.

I know it's not the comic-book way, and it won't likely happen but I really want Tony and Emma to strike the first serious devastating blow against Orchis by obliterating Feilong (I keep wanting to add Musk at the end of his name) by the end of this arc. I know there has to be some contrivance for villains to show up another day but I always hate when the very worst get a proverbial "slap on the wrist" to live and continue to thrive and plan for their next story in a few months time. Organisations like Orchis and Feilong and Omega Sentinel and Sinister need to taken out if not permanently at least in such a way that they would have to start from scratch to regain any kind of foothold.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Actually I'd say his safe space would be his lab where he can make stuff.

I'd like to see Namor get involved and Emma offering him Shaws real head. Also Steve then it can Archie comics but with Emma